Australia & New Zealand S2000 Owners Members from the land downunder.

Moving to Sydney... Should I bring my US S2K?

Old 09-15-2004, 08:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Moving to Sydney... Should I bring my US S2K?

Hey there Aussie-landers.

I am moving down to Sydney from Washington, DC in a few months. One of my dilemmas is what to do with my car. I have a '00 supercharged S2k with a bunch of goodies. I want to bring it over but don't want to pay to convert it to LHD. Do you think there is any resale value for a great track car that is RHD in AU? Do you think it would be worth keeping or dump it before I come over?

Thanks and look forward to meeting you guys (hopefully some of you at the track!)

Tom
Old 09-15-2004, 01:58 PM

When I was moving about six monts ago I considered bringing the car over as a track car. Most of the information I found related to bringing and registering a car for road use. There was only a paragraph or two relating to track cars.

My interpretation of what little I could find was that even if it was for track only it had to be RHD unless you could prove it wasn't produced in RHD configuration at all.

Don't take it as gospel, just what I understood from my research...

If you bring it as a track only car it will work out a lot cheaper than buying one here, even an MY99... so you may find some takers (myself included)
Old 09-15-2004, 02:02 PM

What would you realistically get if you sold it today?

IMO, return it to stock and flog it off before you leave. But, bring the goodies with you and either buy an S local to fit them too, or flog the stuff off over here. Depends how long you are staying I guess.

Lets say I'll pick you up at the airport (lemme carry that S/C for you. I'll just go go get the car. [disappears] )

Cheers,
Al
Old 09-15-2004, 02:02 PM

One thing I forgot. Are you moving for good or for a couple of years? If it is not a permanent situation you can actually bring the car over and drive on the streets as a 'Temporary' import (no conversion or emissions work needs to be done). You have to send it back after 1 year but I believe you can bring it back again.

Sure, it would be expensive to keep sending the car backwards and forwards but if you are only staying for 2-3 years I am quite sure it will work out cheaper than buying one here and modding it to the same level.

That, plus everyone will be looking at your car and going 'WTF is with the steering on the wrong side!".

If you don't know how long you will be staying you may want to bring the car over and send it back to your family when the temporary permit expires, then they can keep it until you return or sell it on your behalf.

Finally, if you are coming over with the USDF then you can keep the car here for as long as your are posted here (no conversion/ emissions work needed)!
Old 09-15-2004, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by Steptoe,Sep 16 2004, 08:02 AM
bring the goodies with you and...flog the stuff off over here.

Fisty's a-waiting.
Old 09-15-2004, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by cashout,Sep 16 2004, 07:58 AM
My interpretation of what little I could find was that even if it was for track only it had to be RHD unless you could prove it wasn't produced in RHD configuration at all.

Don't take it as gospel, just what I understood from my research...
tomas/Cashout, I suggest you check out this point again. I had always thought that you could bring in a LHD car if it was strictly for track work. IE no intention of being road registered. Meaning that you would tow it to the track on a trailer and never drive it on the street.

I've seen a lot of LHD BMWs & Porsches at the track that are available as RHD models in the showroom.
Old 09-15-2004, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by fisting dwarves,Sep 16 2004, 08:54 AM
Fisty's a-waiting.
Now there's a good point!

Fisty, Does this matter fall within your area of legal expertise?
Old 09-15-2004, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by RedRover,Sep 16 2004, 08:56 AM
tomas/Cashout, I suggest you check out this point again. I had always thought that you could bring in a LHD car if it was strictly for track work. IE no intention of being road registered. Meaning that you would tow it to the track on a trailer and never drive it on the street.

I've seen a lot of LHD BMWs & Porsches at the track that are available as RHD models in the showroom.
I wish I still had the printouts of my research...
If it can be brought for track only it certainly is not clear in the Customs office website.
I would consider bringing one over just for that...
Old 09-15-2004, 06:01 PM

Does the Smart have a towbar

Are resale values that low that would make it worth it? How much would you pay for a LHD "Race Use Only" S2K, if it was sitting on your doorstep?

Cheers
Al

Old 09-16-2004, 04:12 AM

Yes they are. You have to take into consideration that the price of a new S2000 is 20+k less in the US to start with (that is 20k AFTER converting to AUD). So if you use the same depreciation percentages the price after a few years is a bargain of sorts.

An MY99 retails for around USD 15-18k in the US. That is ~AUD$20k... or half the price of the same car over here. If it was race only, I'd tell the owner to get rid of the niceties before I bought it or buy it and then re-sell the parts on ebay (air con unit, seats,carpet, door trim, dashboard, soft top, head lamps, airbags, radio to name a few). Those parts are worth a few thousand themselves!

Matter of fact I'd rather buy a car recovered from a chop shop (one that still had the engine, ecu, power train and suspension). I saw a couple of fire and flood damaged MY03 S2000s being auctioned for around USD13k....

Quick Reply: Moving to Sydney... Should I bring my US S2K?