Australia & New Zealand S2000 Owners Members from the land downunder.

Motor Mag: Tyre Test

Old 12-27-2002, 04:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Motor Mag: Tyre Test

In the January 2003 edition of Motor Mag they have published the annual Tyre Test. Interesting to see the Dunlop FM901 won this year.

If anyone is interested I have a set of partly worn FM901's in the S2000 sizes that I would be willing to sell at a fraction of the new cost.

They're in excellent condition and would clearly do another 10K (if not more).
Old 12-27-2002, 04:29 PM

This is not a dirrect comment on the Dunlop FM901, but the selection of tyres for this years tyre test. Over 60% of the tyres selected are 'bottom of the range' perfromance tyres and there's very few 'top of the range ones'. The Dunlops, Goodyears and Bridgestones (S03s) are the only 'top of the range' tyres there. So I would say that Motor is saying that the Dunlops are better than the S03s and Goodyears as the rest of the tyres there are not really competition (they are budget perfromance tyres).

They did not include any of these 'top of the range' tyres:
- Continental ContiSport2
- Michelin PilotSport
- Pirelli P-Zero Rosso (or Giallo) .... the Nero are bottom of the range P-Zeros
- Toyo Proxes TS-1
- Nothing from Falken
- Nothing from Yokohama (like the AVS)

That's what I can think off from the top of my head. Though, Dan, care to share again your experience with the Dunlops ... how did you find them?

Last of all, if anyone can figure out what the 'numbers' that Motor published mean, then please let me know as they do not make any sence. I know that the 'best' tyre out of the bunch gets a score of 10, bit what do the other scores mean? All I can gather from them is that tyre "A" perfromed better in a particular criteria than tyre "B" ... I have no idea what the performance difference is.

ps. Keep in mind that the test car in this tyre test is a heavy (1650kg) Falcon that has 'only' 170kW. What could work on a reasonably low-powered Falcon, might not work on an S2000 which has a much lower weight, peakier (and greater) power, lower center of gravity and much stiffer suspension ... and much shorter wheelbase.
Old 12-27-2002, 08:29 PM

I am no complaining or whinging, but my back S02's are bald again, only 12,000km. I did go to Winton twice with those tyres but anyone who knows me, I don't drive very fast and I don't usually jam hard on the brakes. I am a reasonably slow driver. I will stick with S02's but they don't last very long in Western Vic. I got 13,000km on my first set of tyres.
Old 12-27-2002, 09:12 PM

Originally posted by pcs2k
I am no complaining or whinging, but my back S02's are bald again, only 12,000km. I did go to Winton twice with those tyres but anyone who knows me, I don't drive very fast and I don't usually jam hard on the brakes. I am a reasonably slow driver. I will stick with S02's but they don't last very long in Western Vic. I got 13,000km on my first set of tyres.
Suggest you look at an alternative - the Yokohama ES 100 for instance, is suppose to be better than S02's. They have a new silicon/carbon compound, grip extremely well wet & dry and give better mileage than SO2's.
This was posted by one of our colleagues in Sydney not so long ago.

I think they are cheaper than S02's as well.
Old 12-27-2002, 09:26 PM

I probably posted that. I got 10K on my Yokos ES100s and they still have plenty of wear left on them, (about 5mm tread)

They perform brilliantly in both wet and dry. I tested the wet capability out on Boxing day. Just went for a cruise down the national park way. Didn't push it real hard, but still quicker than the posted recommendations. Car did not feel rear end twitchy like it did on the S02s and the Aquatreds.
Old 12-27-2002, 11:32 PM

I probably posted that. I got 10K on my Yokos ES100s and they still have plenty of wear left on them, (about 5mm tread)

They perform brilliantly in both wet and dry. I tested the wet capability out on Boxing day. Just went for a cruise down the national park way. Didn't push it real hard, but still quicker than the posted recommendations. Car did not feel rear end twitchy like it did on the S02s and the Aquatreds

hehe, I could say the same thing about S02s :-) They are still the gripiest and the most progressive tyres that I have ever used. I have had them on the track in the wet as well as taken them for a 'hoon' on some deserted steets in the wet and the grip and progression was phenomenal. Not taking anything away from the ES100s as I have not used them.

I am no complaining or whinging, but my back S02's are bald again, only 12,000km. I did go to Winton twice with those tyres but anyone who knows me, I don't drive very fast and I don't usually jam hard on the brakes.

That is an incredibly fast wear you got there .... my S02s lasted 21,500km and that included 1 Phillip Island track day, 2 Wintons, 2 DECA days and then me driving pretty agressively on the road. Oh, and there was also that 10+ 7,000rpm clutch-drops that I did with 2kturkey when we had the G'tech.

Not sure how the 'abrasive' roads eat up the tyres if you don;t drive that hard? Yo would think that the abrasive road would only make a difference if you're close to looosing traction (whther under acceleration, cornering or braking). From the sound of you don't seem to drive like that ... correct?

ps. On a separate note the S02s are better 'perfromance' tyre than the S03. My father has had both no on the HSV R8 and he will not get the S03 again (not that it was a bad tyre ... just not good enough). The S02 had more grip (only in the dry were they pushed though) and also the S02s lasted longer ... more like 40% longer. The traction control comes on much more offten with the S03s as well. And this is the 'standard' S02s and not the extra-grippy OME S02s. My father is going to give the ContiSport2 (fitted as OME to 911, Boxster, RUF Porsches, some performance Mercs and Jags as well as Hamman BMWs) a go next time round .... Michelin PiliotSport (fitted as OME to M3, F360, AMG Mercs, 500SL and Masseratti) being the 2nd option.
Old 12-28-2002, 12:01 AM

That is an incredibly fast wear you got there .... my S02s lasted 21,500km and that included 1 Phillip Island track day, 2 Wintons, 2 DECA days and then me driving pretty agressively on the road. Oh, and there was also that 10+ 7,000rpm clutch-drops that I did with 2kturkey when we had the G'tech.

Not sure how the 'abrasive' roads eat up the tyres if you don;t drive that hard? Yo would think that the abrasive road would only make a difference if you're close to looosing traction (whther under acceleration, cornering or braking). From the sound of you don't seem to drive like that ... correct?

DavidM,
I do not drive like that and I have seen 2kturkey drive. I did get 21,000 for the front tyres though. Initially I do drive to 9000rpm at 2nd gear but I have stop doing that since too many people in this part of the world are complaining that I am going too fast. I have slowed down alot since. Want to keep my license
Old 12-29-2002, 02:05 AM

Remember guys....tyre wear is not just about how you drive, but also what pressures & alignment you run!?

Cheers....
Old 12-29-2002, 12:35 PM

Originally posted by DavidM
That's what I can think off from the top of my head. Though, Dan, care to share again your experience with the Dunlops ... how did you find them?
As DavidM has pointed out, the Dunlop FM901's are not a top rated performance tyre. They are a "higher-level" tyre for less wear & longer life. My experience with them is that (as the Motor mag said) they are amazingly good in the wet. In the dry they are perfectly OK for normal street/highway driving but they are not as good as S02's for track work.

Normally they would sell for about $300 per tyre. The set I have is about 40% worn and I am willing to sell them with 60% discount. IE about $100 per tyre. This would represent excellent value for money for someone who wants a long lasting tyre for normal street use. They are in excellent condition and available for inspection.

If anyone is really interested they're currently fitted to my spare set of wheels. You can come around to my place, fit them on your car and take them for a test drive if you want to.
Old 12-29-2002, 02:38 PM

Anyone know much about the Goodyear Eagle F1 G3-D3 tyres for S2000

http://www.goodyeartires.com/catalog/produ.../EAGF1GSD3.html

read this forum

http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?s...hlight=goodyear

Quick Reply: Motor Mag: Tyre Test