Australia & New Zealand S2000 Owners Members from the land downunder.

Modifications WITHOUT voiding your Honda Warranty?

Old 04-13-2002, 06:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Modifications WITHOUT voiding your Honda Warranty?

Is it possible?? I would REALLY like to have an AEM CAI but i'm paranoid about losing my warranty. I have the 5 years Honda Warranty on my 2001 ITR but i DON'T want to lose my warranty.

It seems to me that practically EVERYONE has modified their car in some form or another, did you just "throw away" your warranty like that, or did you modify alittle enough so you don't avoid losing warranty... or you modified with the intention of putting everything back the way it was when you take it back for servicing.. (can you really get away with that?)

The Type R warranty and services manual states: "Some owners misuse their vehicles by subjecting them to abnormal stresses, such as competing in sanctioned and unsanctioned competitive events, installation of inferior replacement parts or lubricants, improper repairs, or various modifications that affect adversely the vehicle's reliability, stability, or overall performance. Occasionally vehicles are involved in an accident. Repairs or replacements required where there is evidence that such conditions have contributed to a component failure, will not be covered by the warranty. In addition, any alteration of the odometer on your vehicle will void the warranty."

PS - is it the same with your insurance?
Old 04-13-2002, 09:13 PM

mod your car is not a big problem, when you need to do service, just bring it to the dealer where you didnt buy your car from.
Old 04-14-2002, 02:10 AM

I was under the impression that any mods performed during the warranty period voided the warranty. Those with new S15's that have full exhaust, and suspension mods have well and truly voided their warranty's.

If you are able to put the car back to standard (shove the airbox back in), and get rid of the CAI piping yourself then mod away...If not, wait till your warranty's over.

my 0.2 cents,
wil..
Old 04-14-2002, 02:46 AM

Originally posted by MyYellowHonda
Some owners misuse their vehicles by subjecting them to abnormal stresses, such as competing in sanctioned and unsanctioned competitive events
Which brings up my question:
If anything goes wrong with my car while on the track is it covered by warranty?

and also, "abnormal stresses"... Surely making the car breathe better with a better intake and exhaust reduces the stress on the engine
Old 04-14-2002, 02:56 AM

Good point Jim, but they will do anything to get out of paying up when asked. I DON'T think i can wait modding my car for another 4+ years!!!!!!!!
Old 04-15-2002, 08:51 AM

If a particular part fails because of ur modifications then the warranty is void. Otherwise they have no reason to not service the car. They will always blame ur additions. It's up to u to argue that it isn't.
Old 04-15-2002, 02:13 PM

I could be wrong but I think that motor vehicle warranties are covered by the trade practices act. You could do some research by going to the ACCC website, the Choice website and or your state equivalent of NRMA/RACV etc. If necessary you could consult a lawyer or read through the fine print of the act yourself.

My contention is that the manufacturers (and dealers) put conditions in the warranty documents that are not in accordance with the act and hence are not legally enforcable. That is, they try to bluff you.

I don't think that a warranty could be voided just because you fitted a cold air intake. If it came to a court case it would boil down to an argument between expert mechanical engineers (yours and the manufacturers) as to whether or not the mod you did had any real affect on the part that failed. For example, a cold air intake has nothing to do with a car jumping out of 4th gear.

Similarly, I don't think that the warranty would be voided just because you drove in a club event that was held on a racetrack. After all, some of our events are actually sponsored by Honda. I understand and accept that if you go into outright racing then of course the warranty is out the window.
Old 04-16-2002, 07:10 AM

It would be rather lame if they voided the warranty for using the car on the track... since the car was DESIGNED to be driven on it.
Old 04-16-2002, 04:16 PM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally posted by MyYellowHonda
It would be rather lame if they voided the warranty for using the car on the track... since the car was DESIGNED to be driven on it.
Yes, but the warranty wasn't.

Honda can't void your warranty for modifications. They can refuse a warranty claim based on the suggestion that the specific problem was caused by a particular mod (a hydrolocked engine and an AEM CAI for example).

You still have a right to question the refusal if you believe their reason is spurious, but that involves at the least speaking with higher powers in Honda and more probably legal action.

Mods definitely complicate the issue, but it's up to you and your assessment of the particular mod as to whether or not it's worth it. I've paid for the extended warranty, but I still intend to turbo charge the car. Crazy huh!
Old 04-17-2002, 03:07 AM

Originally posted by AusS2000

Yes, but the warranty wasn't.

Honda can't void your warranty for modifications. They can refuse a warranty claim based on the suggestion that the specific problem was caused by a particular mod (a hydrolocked engine and an AEM CAI for example).

You still have a right to question the refusal if you believe their reason is spurious, but that involves at the least speaking with higher powers in Honda and more probably legal action.

Mods definitely complicate the issue, but it's up to you and your assessment of the particular mod as to whether or not it's worth it. I've paid for the extended warranty, but I still intend to turbo charge the car. Crazy huh!

I think they may have a problem with turbocharging the car.....

Quick Reply: Modifications WITHOUT voiding your Honda Warranty?