Australia & New Zealand S2000 Owners Members from the land downunder.

Mobile Phones ---- (OT)

Old 09-15-2003, 03:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From an article in to-day's Herald-Sun

Mobile phones linked to senility
By KATE JONES
15 September 2003

TEENAGERS who use mobile phones are at risk of becoming senile in their 30s, a new study claims.

Research at Sweden's Lund University found microwaves from mobile phones were linked to serious brain damage.

The Australian Medical Association's vice-president, Mukesh Haikerwal, said the research raised serious concerns for teenagers and parents.

"There are some question marks here and we need to have definite answers," Mr Haikerwal said.

"You can see that if you are exposing your brain to noxious stimulants, there are certain risks."

Led by Professor Leif Salford, the study proved radiation can penetrate the blood-brain barrier, damaging brain neurons.

But the Australian Mobile Telecommunications Association dismissed the research.

AMTA chief executive Graham Chalker said the study was based on tests on animals, not humans.

"The researchers claim the results from 12 to 26-week old rats -- which have a comparable developmental age to teenagers -- can be applied to the growing brains of teenagers," Mr Chalker said.
Old 09-15-2003, 04:12 AM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally posted by RedRover
[B12 to 26-week old rats -- which have a comparable developmental age to teenagers[/B]
Ain't that the truth!
Old 10-19-2003, 08:51 PM

If I was travelling overseas (possibly China and/or USA) and I wanted to take my mobile phone with me and use it whilst I'm there, is there any alternative to Telstra's costly global roaming?
Old 10-19-2003, 09:05 PM

You can get local pre-paid SIM cards and advise everyone back home of the number.

Make sure you have a tri-band phone if you are planning on going to the USA though as they are on 1900MHz (I think!).

Global roaming does prove pretty expensive - the last time I went overseas I took my mobile (also Telstra) with me and came back to a pretty expensive bill..
Old 10-19-2003, 09:16 PM

I used global roaming while overseas recently and for national calls in the UK I was charged less than I am back home. I was stunned. This is with Vodafone, and I pay 60c per minute normally. In the UK at least, getting pre-paid SIMs is a PITA. They charge 20 pounds ($50) and you get almost no free calls with that. Only Virgin had a decent one and their shops are hard to find. I doubt the situation in the US is any easier as GSM is far from popular there in any case. China may be better.
Old 10-19-2003, 10:46 PM

I was meaning more if people from Australia are contacting you rather than ringing local people once abroad.

The thing with global roaming is that people back in Australia might not know that you are overseas and call you - the international leg costs you so it can end up being pretty expensive if your mobile is ringing semi-regularly.

As Naishou has stated once you get over there (especially the UK) rates aren't too bad and with Telstra you get a choice of networks that you can connect to. Make sure you check out all the rates etc with Telstra before you go..
Old 10-20-2003, 01:31 AM

With Vodaphone, I diverted all incoming calls to a call screening service and this stops unexpected international calls. It means you have to call back any time someone you actually want to speak to calls though.
Old 10-20-2003, 03:12 AM

That's a good idea naishou, I have seen plenty of people run up some serious bills going o/s and not looking into the scale of the issue. One ex room mate ran up around $3000au in 3 months when he went to London and wanted to maintain all social ties I think Id get a plane to mexico rather than come back to that bullocks
Old 10-26-2003, 10:23 PM

Is it posible to get such a thing as a combination sim card & pre-paid calls card to put in your phone before you go?
Old 08-10-2004, 08:12 PM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Finally got the Sony Z1010.

We've had NEC e616s for a while now and they are hopeless. A totally second rate product. I think 3 were so tired of us complaining that they replaced them with the Sonys just to shut us up.

Quick Reply: Mobile Phones ---- (OT)