Australia & New Zealand S2000 Owners Members from the land downunder.

Man that's gotta hurt

Old 11-23-2003, 02:32 AM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

You'd have to ask the SA ref. I don't think you could increase the ratings any higher.
Old 11-23-2003, 06:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by AusS2000
Is that a quote by Nassah Hussein?
Genuinely very funny
Old 11-23-2003, 02:42 PM

What was the score last time we played soccer (sorry, "football")?

Don't want to stir things up here but I find Rugby pretty boring to watch when the whole point seems to get one guy in a position to kick goals. They might have to revise the scoring system again. Perhaps penalties should involve some other advantage/punishment than kicking for goals (there could still be penalty goals/tries for "professional fouls" and other severe offences) and drop goals should go down to 1 point like in Rugby League. We're in danger of forgetting what tries are.
Old 11-23-2003, 02:49 PM

Gotta give some credit to Robinson too. Man can that guy run. Does someone stand behind him and shout "BATH TIME!".
Old 11-24-2003, 10:24 PM

Originally posted by naishou
Don't want to stir things up here but I find Rugby pretty boring to watch ......

........We're in danger of forgetting what tries are.
Naishou, Yes, all this is true but don't let it get under your skin. This time next year the World Cup will be long forgotten.

In fact, if we make a note in our diaries to re-visit this issue in June next year I think you'll find that most of Australia will be obsessed with Australian Rules, most Sydney & Brisbane people will be following Rugby League, Soccer Australia will be claiming 3rd position amongst the Australian football codes and the rah rah boys will be again in 4th position, confined to the North Shore of Sydney & a few suburbs in Brisbane.

I think the World Cup rated well on the TV because there were no other competing footbll codes playing at the time, it was a truly international event, it was well organised, we had that magnificent Olympic stadium, the Wallabies were doing well and (apart from a few wet bits) the weather was kind.

It was a novelty for Australians outside of NSW and had some curiosity value. However, as you pointed out the game of Rugby Union itself is boring. What made for a great telecast was the drama of the close scores. I just don't see Rugby Union making any increase in their audience Australia wide as a result of the World Cup.
Old 11-25-2003, 01:40 PM

Spoken like a true Victorian Most people I know are more interested in Rugby than in either League or AFL. I've never seen a non Swans AFL game (other than finals) on TV or on the big screen in the pubs here in Sydney but the pubs are packed for Super 12 games, the stadiums full, and even the Sydney club comp is on live TV. I agree there were heaps of people around the country who became Rugby fans for 5 mins during this world cup but there are plenty of people who've been following it for years, in NSW and QLD at least. As an international game Rugby is far ahead of League and AFL doesn't even come into it. I wouldn't describe any of the Super 12 games I've been to as boring. It's these Northern Hemisphere types who insist on making it a kicking contest (there, that ought to stir them up).
Old 11-25-2003, 06:41 PM

Another thing not many realise is the International Rules test series was played in Australia in October. International Rules is the closest thing Australian Rules has to an international stage, even if that means just Australia's southern states and Ireland playing a mix of Aussie Rules, Gaelic Football and boxing. The balls are round, the goal posts have a cross bar but at least you still get to pick it up.

By comparison the Rugby World Cup is third inline for interest behind the Olympics and 'the' World Cup (soccer for the Aussies and Yanks).

Not having a go at Aussie Rules. I love the game myself. But a small number of totally extreme fans living too close to the hole in the ozone does not a huge sport make.
Old 11-25-2003, 07:36 PM

OK, time to take off the gloves here and start a good old fashioned bare knuckle fight

Aus, Naishou please re-read my post

I NEVER claimed that Australian Rules had any international standing. In fact, I described the Rugby World Cup as "a truly international event".

What I was saying was that, in the broader Australia, Rugby Union ranks number 4 amongst the football codes. (In Australia)

Naishou, there's more to Australia than just the north shore of Sydney. Perhaps next year you should really do that trip to Phillip Island.

AusS2000The Commonweath Games and the Cricket probably have more interest than the Rugby WC. The Melbourne Spring Carnival (incl Melbourne Cup) would also be a contender for more interest. What about the F1 GP?

The Australia Vs Ireland thing is a farce which even the Melburnians ignore.

It's awful having to watch the rah rah boys during their moment in the spotlight
Old 11-25-2003, 07:45 PM

There's more to Australia than Melbourne. For the record I don't and never have lived on the North Shore of Sydney. Your suggestion was that Rugby Union has no significant following in Australia. You might get that impression living in Victoria, but you wouldn't if you lived in Sydney Rugby Union is much more popular here than either AFL or soccer, and even League is a "blue collar" game. I'm a long way from upper class but I can honestly say I don't know anyone who follows Rugby League. Many of my friends are interested in Union though. I also wasn't suggesting you claimed that AFL has an international following, I was simply pointing out that to many people myself included that is more important and adds to the significance of the sport. I'm also curious, what is the basis of the ranking of football codes you use? How can soccer be above anything, given that Soccer Australia is basically broke, the games are never on TV etc etc.
Old 11-25-2003, 07:48 PM

Aus:
even if that means just Australia's southern states
So Queensland is a southern state?

and naishou:
Most people I know are more interested in Rugby than in either League or AFL.
What both of them?

Quick Reply: Man that's gotta hurt