Australia & New Zealand S2000 Owners Members from the land downunder.

M3 CLS vs 911 GT3 at Eastern Creek

Old 01-14-2004, 03:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think that this might interest some of you that have been to Eastern Creek raceway. The Motor mag took both cars there recently and they have a very nice and detailed writeup in the latset issue of Motor. Keep in mind that the CSL has very sticky R-spec tyres which (I'm guessing) is worth 3+ secs at Eastern Creek .... anyone care to elaborate? On the other hand the GT3 is a very good road rubber (ie. Michelin Pilot Sport). Here's some fo the data from the article, but they do lost speeds at fair few places around the track:

Eastern Creek laptimes:
- M3 CSL = 1:48.0
- 911 GT3 = 1:49.8

Eastern Creek top speed on the main straight:
- M3 CSL = 237kph
- 911 GT3 = 241kph

Also they said that David Brabham (different driver) managed 1:55 around there in a stock M3 (or road rubber). I know that noone here is getting anywhere close to these laptimes, but I think AusS2000 is getting close with his top speed there ... am I correct on that?

ps. They said that in the GT3 they were entering turn one at around 190kph.
Old 01-14-2004, 04:10 PM

I don't think 1:55 is fast for a stock M3, and 1:49.6 doesn't sound too fast for a GT3 either. Don't know anything about the M3 CSL. Top speeds are pretty good and speed in turn 1 is pretty good too. AusS2000 was just over 160 through there and same in Nigel's NSX on R rubber. Obviously these guys were taking it easy though as it's a dangerous corner. I was up over 200km/h through there in the Formula Ford with more to come Best $15,000 I ever spent, to easily outlap cars like these. I'd be interested to hear what kinds of speeds and times Chris Barry's PRB can do there.
Old 01-14-2004, 05:22 PM

Pretty sure they are called CSLs David not CLS.
Old 01-14-2004, 06:05 PM

I've been in an E36 M3R round Eastern Creek which was doing 1:50 flat with driver and passenger, I THINK that was on R-Spec tyres and with a very competent but non Pro driver. Doesn't make a new all singing all dancing CSL sound that much better given the skill of the driver.

For comparison my road registered Aprilia RS250 Motorcycle with road legal tyres does 1:51's with me on it at Eastern Creek, that is with a top speed of only ~210km/h down the straight. I'm not an OK but not awesome rider.
Old 01-14-2004, 11:51 PM

I don't think 1:55 is fast for a stock M3, and 1:49.6 doesn't sound too fast for a GT3 either.

1:55 not fast there? I've never been there so I'm only going by what I read (here and in the magazines), but does not a 1:55 time make the M3 8secs quicker there than anyone else has (so far) managed in a stock S2000 (on road rubber)?

The GT3's time of 1:49.6 is about 6secs quicker than what M3 did there wih David Brabham. That sounds good to me considering the the CSL and GT3 were both driven by Dean Evans who is a Jurno/part-time racer (ie. he was in the Mirrage cup last year). Maybe a real pro could get another couple secs from the cars? A GT3 RS from the Porsche Cup series (ie. one with 200kg less weight, 20kW more and slicks) has managed 1:35 there last year.

So what times have other cars at Estern Creek returned?

Don't know anything about the M3 CSL.

Compared to a 'normal' M3, the CSL is 110kg ligher, has about 10kW more power and 5Nm of torque. Also the car is a little bit lower and the suspension is a bit more track-ready. Also it has bigger brakes, slightly quicker steering and comes with R-spec rubber.

7:50 has been clocked with one of these around the N'ring.

Pretty sure they are called CSLs David not CLS

Yeah, my fingers are dislexic :-)
Old 01-15-2004, 12:15 AM

Originally posted by DavidM
Keep in mind that the CSL has very sticky R-spec tyres which (I'm guessing) is worth 3+ secs at Eastern Creek .... anyone care to elaborate?
The CSL uses Michelin 'Pilot Sport Cup' tyres (see pic & link) and are useable on both road & track.... but not particularly good, for wet weather driving (as per ratings in link)!!

Michelin 'Pilot Sport Cup'

Old 01-15-2004, 12:35 AM

Originally posted by DavidM
1:55 not fast there? I've never been there so I'm only going by what I read (here and in the magazines), but does not a 1:55 time make the M3 8secs quicker there than anyone else has (so far) managed in a stock S2000 (on road rubber)?
Sure, but who and when and how hard were they trying? The best comparison I can find is the MGF Trophy cars that do exactly what I managed in a stock S2000 at Wakefield, and 1:56 to 1:57 at Eastern Creek. It seems reasonable to expect that I might therefore be able to get an S2000 around Eastern Creek in 1:56 to 1:57 especially given its power and high speed handling advantage over an MGF. That doesn't make 1:55 for an M3 in the hands of a pro sound so special.

Another comparison I can draw is with my own times in the Formula Ford. By extrapolation with times at Wakefield they imply I could get my WRX 'round Eastern Creek in under 1:55, and this is quite conservative because I only got two clear timed laps at the Creek. I'm pretty sure another 2 seconds off is easily obtainable, and that would lead me to expect under 1:53 in the WRX. This is pure speculation without actually going there in that car, but along with the above it's the reason I'm not too impressed with the M3 time.
Old 01-15-2004, 12:36 AM

Originally posted by rjh666
I've been in an E36 M3R round Eastern Creek which was doing 1:50 flat with driver and passenger, I THINK that was on R-Spec tyres and with a very competent but non Pro driver. Doesn't make a new all singing all dancing CSL sound that much better given the skill of the driver.
Was that Peter Kelly? If so that car's got a lot more than R rubber.
Old 01-15-2004, 05:35 PM

I wonder what members of the Porsche Club of NSW get around Eastern Creek in their GT3s? I wouldn't mind betting that the good drivers get a lot better than 1:49. I'll see what I can find out.
Old 01-15-2004, 05:44 PM

But are they running on road tyres and are their cars stock?

Quick Reply: M3 CLS vs 911 GT3 at Eastern Creek