Australia & New Zealand S2000 Owners Members from the land downunder.

lowering - gap between wheel and guard

Old 06-20-2005, 04:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lowering - gap between wheel and guard

Hi guys,

Been reading around for some measurements on stock gap between guard and wheel. (assuming stock wheels are on).

is there anyone hear that can give me an accurate measurement ?

Ive got my S on 2.25 inch lower than stock , im considering putting it up about 1-1.25 inches to avoid rubbing around corners/bumps but worried about the gap. I dont want too much of a gap just want enough to make sure there is no rubbing with 19s.

also looking for a height suitable for both 19s and stock wheels when i feel like chucking them on.

any help/experiences is appreciated - and no bitching about the 19s please .

thanks
Old 06-20-2005, 05:15 AM

The 'gap' will be the same no matter what size rims you put on. That is if you put the 'correct' profile tyre on the rim. ie. the rim + type_sidewall should be the same no matter what the rim size is.

Anyway if you don't want the gap, but want to avoid rubbing then you need to put in stiffer springs (and shshocks idealy). In an extreme situation you could put is springs/shocks so stiff that there will be no run even if you don't have any clearace. The car will be as stiff as a scakeboard, but that's a price you'll have to pay if you go that low.
Old 06-20-2005, 12:13 PM

ie. the rim + type_sidewall should be the same no matter what the rim size is.
It should be but it's not the same when you put 19s on the s2000. To achieve that the 19s would have the tyres painted on though I'm sure that the tyres used are little more than licorice strips anyway.

Couldn't tell you what the diameter increase is though.
Old 06-20-2005, 02:28 PM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

If you know the tyre specs you can.

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

I can't give you any advice because I don't agree with what you've done in the first place. And you told us not to give you any grief about the 19s so I'm left with nothing.

If you'd reconsidered the ban on bitching I can provide plenty of input.
Old 06-20-2005, 03:18 PM

heavyS2K
hey mate ... its the price you pay for lowering your car . Im assuming they are 19x8's ? or 19x9's ? with those size wheels , your backs will rub unless you roll the guards . I've gotten my car measured up to be lowered and on 18x8's i have been told i will need to roll the back guards , by the suspension guys .
I'm dropping mine 3inches at the rear and only going about 2inches at the front .
( im just waiting for AusS2000 to give it to me )

As pointed out by DavidM , as your rim size increased , your tyre profile decreases , so the gap will pretty much remain the same .
Old 06-20-2005, 03:23 PM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

You're dropping your rear and waiting for me to give it to you? I think you have misjudged me.
Old 06-20-2005, 03:53 PM

Thanks guys,

Vuey what your saying is that no matter what the back will rub even with stock height ?(I think the rims are 19*8) .

cause right now they only rub a little so i thought if i raise it about an inch there will be enough of a gap to stop the rubbing when turning fast etc..

Vuey a bit of advice - 3 inch is going to be a pain to drive mate. Im on 2 1/4 '' and its getting on my nerves
Old 06-20-2005, 04:11 PM

heavyS2K
what your saying is that no matter what the back will rub even with stock height ?
no , on stock springs , there will be a big gap so you wont get any rubbing , but your car will look funny on aftermarket rims with standard ride height . Cause the tyre profiles are so low the "gap" will really stand out .

Im running around on my stock suspension at the moment without any drama's .
but once i drop it rubbing will become an issue .

cause right now they only rub a little so i thought if i raise it about an inch there will be enough of a gap to stop the rubbing when turning fast etc..
have you considered rolling your back guards ? also the wheels are too big , at that height you are always going to get rubbing on turns / hardcornering raising it should help ? depending if the wheels are the correct offset for the car , it shouldnt rub . Best to go speak to a place that does car lowering , they would know best , or any good wheel shop .

a bit of advice - 3 inch is going to be a pain to drive mate. Im on 2 1/4 '' and its getting on my nerves
, this is my 3rd car in a row that is going to be lowered , so im use to it by now . Plus , i figured if i was going to stuff up my car's handling , i might as well really fck it up ! the others on here can be the racers , i'll be the one on the side of the track talking to the lowies
Old 06-20-2005, 04:26 PM

rolling the back guards is asking for trouble, and there is no going back after that

the front are rolled but i wont touch the back - no way.

Ive had all my cars lowered but its diff when your driving a 40k + car and can hear the car rub around corners pisses me off.

to tell, you the truth I like the car as it is i was just thinking if i raise it an inch might save me from a few probs such as rims cracking cause of camber(had this before), rubbing etc. im not too worried about handling i dont race the car - just a weekend driver thats it .

might not be worth the headache to raise it in the end of the day i guess
will get more advice from tyre place - then make a decision.

Old 06-20-2005, 05:06 PM

Rolling the guards properly is not that sketchy, especially when you compare it to driving around with a setup that could cause your car to spontaneously combust at any time

If you guys are running good offsets you shouldn't scrub but then from the sounds of things good offsets have taken a back seat to size and price. There are a few guys in the states that are running 19 HREs and they seem to be happy with it but then they probably paid triple what you have.

Quick Reply: lowering - gap between wheel and guard