Australia & New Zealand S2000 Owners Members from the land downunder.

Insurance for S2000

Old 05-30-2004, 09:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Insurance for S2000

Hi,

I've seen mention of insurance in other threads...seems like it's good to shop around.

I'd like to take a survey of:

* who are you insured with
* what is the annual premium
* any requirements to get either the insurance itself or that premium (i.e. specialized alarm system, etc.)

FYI, I'm ahem over 30 and in Sydney.

Thanks,
Scott
Old 05-30-2004, 10:23 PM

MB Insurance Group. Located in St Leonards or Crows Nest or thereabouts.

Annual Premium $1300 as at Oct/Nov 2003

Nil requitrements.

No alarm. Just the standard immobilisor.

Garaged in a 'safe' postcode.

What suburb are you in?
Old 05-30-2004, 11:03 PM

I live in St. Leonards. The car would be garaged in a LUG.
Old 05-31-2004, 01:50 AM

Many insurance companies now don't care about how old you are, only the age of the youngest driver.
However some companies let you nominate how many times per year that youngest driver will drive the car (eg only once a month). Keep in mind that if you provide false information, and have to make a claim the insurance company may deny your claim (eg insurance investigators sometimes check with your neighbours how often you drive the car).

I'm with Just Cars - www.justcarinsurance.com.au
They have an online quote request - however they will manually get back to you the next day with this.

Some insurance companies require a 2 or 3 point immobiliser, but I always fit an alarm to my cars anyway so that really isn't something I consider.

Also consider the amount of excess you have to pay if you make a claim. Some companies let you lower the annual premium if you select a higher excess.
Old 05-31-2004, 02:45 AM

I would be the only regular driver, except for an occasional drive by a friend.

Is the standard immobiliser usually sufficient for most insurance companies? I read in another thread that folks needed to install a Brant (???) immobiliser?

Re: alarms, is it best to have Honda install their optional alarm, or get an after marker alarm installed by a specialized alarm company? Any recommendations re: alarms?

Thanks!
Old 05-31-2004, 03:09 AM

im with honda insurance aka swann, i just got my renewal- $1478, im 28, full ncb, have carcom tracking fitted, dont know why i bothered really, but i guess its better to be safe than sorry. i live in newcastle, so the only cars at risk are commodores. i have had a few claims, notable a write off, except that doesnt seem to have affected my policy at all.
redrover, u didnt mention the age. often insurance companies like to place categories, such as under 21, under 25 and under 30, everything after 30 is basically teh same.
i think that around $1500 for the s2k in sydney is a good number to be paying
Old 05-31-2004, 03:32 AM

black can you get insurance with Honda if you dont buy new? NRMA want over $3K for me as a 23 year old so I wont be buying another one if that's the case.
Old 05-31-2004, 03:33 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by scott2k
[COLOR=BLUE]Is the standard immobiliser usually sufficient for most insurance companies?
Old 05-31-2004, 07:24 AM

Hello again,

(Gee, I feel like I'm asking so many questions. Sorry 'bout that!!!)

Ok, I took RedRover's advice, and did a search on the Oz S2000 Owners forum for "alarm". Wading through all the hits (like "does your Nokia 6610 come with an alarm?" ) uncovered a lot of insurance info.

So, I'd like to modify my previous question like so: what I'd like to know is which insurance company(s) give the best service? For example, if you've had a claim, or know the details of someone who has, did your/their insurance company come thru, or screw you over?

My philosophy is insurance is a lot like that old joke: "Sex is a lot like air. You never miss it until you're not getting any " Insurance is like air: you never think about it until you need it. And when you do, you hope it will be relatively painless. For me, price isn't the sole consideration (regardless of my initial message). I'm willing to pay a little more than the cheapest price if I know the claim process will be relatively painless. I also haven't seen any previous threads comparing claims process, only price.

So, based on your collective experience with insurance companies, I can then call around and get quotes, knowing (hopefully) that they will come thru if I ever have a claim.

Thanks,
Scott
Old 05-31-2004, 12:40 PM

Without naming names I'd suggest avoiding insurance companies that don't offer agreed value and choice of repairer. Look for ones that offer free full glass replacement IE one new windscreen each year with no excess and no effect on no-claim bonus.

Quick Reply: Insurance for S2000