Australia & New Zealand S2000 Owners Members from the land downunder.

I was suprised...

Old 06-30-2001, 02:03 PM
Muz
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I was suprised...

.. when I went to my dealer for a service during the week and he said they would replace my clutch to rid it of the decceleration noise. He suggested I wait a while yet as it wasn't real bad and I still have lots of warranty time left. They need the car for a day to do it apparently.

They actually acknowledged that they knew about the problem which suprised me as I've previously experienced an attitude of denial from dealers.

I actually recall the Honda Zone office also denying any problems when they rang me not long after my purchase 12 months ago.

A word of advice to anybody approaching their dealer for this kind of work. Do NOT mention that you obtain information from the Internet on your car. It is not well received even if it is correct.

Which reminds me... better go put my new rego sticker on. I wonder what shitty colour they've sent me this year?
Old 06-30-2001, 03:23 PM

You're spot on there Muz.

I was also surprised (pleasantly) when they agreed to the clutch replacement. It is definitely an improvement. They made the same comments to me - noise wasn't so bad before - getting worse - could wait a while longer but we can do it now if you feel it may fix your gearbox problem.

Re the internet - absolutely verboten. as per my earlier mail they believe the number of warranty requests has skyrocketed as a result of owners reading about other people's problems on this board.

Getting back to the clutch, it is clear this hasn't solved my problems.

I am still getting
1-2 grinds
2-5 shifts with grind (when trying to do a 2-3 at high revs)
6th is almost impossible to use - the lever has to be forced to get in or out of 6th.

I am convinced the last 2 problems are related to bent shifter forks. I think what is happening is that the shifter fork was slowing bending as a result of the 2-3 change problem. It is now bent sufficiently to cause problems getting into 6th.

I have never looked inside the S2000 gearbox but from experience with motorcycle gearboxes (I've had a few of them apart in my day) I seem to recall shifter forks being made out of brass (i.e. easily bendable metal). If this is the problem it is still a symptom though of a bigger problem.

What has caused the inability to get into 3rd from 2nd in the 1st place? I think there is a strong possibility this is a stacking tolerance issue where my gearbox is under or overshimmed slightly on 3rd gear. Either that or the shifter fork was always out slightly from new.

Anyway I'm off to the Gold Coast for 2 weeks so Honda won't be doing anything about it till I return. Hopefully catch you up there on the weekend.
Old 06-30-2001, 08:39 PM

What year model is yours ... 2KTurkey?
Old 06-30-2001, 09:59 PM

Originally posted by Takashi KazuMori
What year model is yours ... 2KTurkey?
Manufactured June '99. Bought by me August '99. VIN 00081 Very early release
Old 06-30-2001, 10:56 PM

Just wondering ... I'm trying to figure out the problems that all S2Ks have over the period since it first started till the most recent built ones. Kinda pathetic but Honda is slackening their quality control or something ... Building problematic cars by mistake or not is bad for business and reputation. Hope you guys get the TSBs sorted out, Honda should be fully liable for all work and repairs free of charge.

Old 07-01-2001, 04:23 AM

Mne is a September 2000 vehicle and i have not had any problems at all. In fact, the gearbox has been absolutely exemplary. Honda must have fixed the problem or I've been lucky
Old 07-01-2001, 06:55 PM

Spot on ... I'm not hearing many 00 built problems, but they are somewhat related. 01 models tend to have little or no problems after all.
Old 07-01-2001, 07:51 PM

I spoke to Honda about my gearbox grind. They test drove the car but, of course, it didn't grind when they drove it. Which makes me think perhaps its my gearchange at least that is what Honda said. I have a Sept 1999 model.
Old 07-01-2001, 10:10 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Taipan
[B]I spoke to Honda about my gearbox grind.
Old 07-02-2001, 06:42 PM

2KTurkey, I did not see your ealier post. I am a new member. Did you ever show your car to a Honda rep, or was it just the techo? I guess once all these boxes pack it in Honda will get the message.

I had a problem with my rear window folding (the 'S' shape problem you may have heard of) but Honda replaced that after much discussion. The new one works perfectly.

Quick Reply: I was suprised...