Australia & New Zealand S2000 Owners Members from the land downunder.

i am off the road again

Old 12-23-2003, 09:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

update: only got so as far as opening the rocker cover and removing the camshafts.. as far as we can see the 1st intake valve is bent ... don't know if there is any damge underneath cos the head hasn't come off yet....
bit hard hassling my friend at this time of year... prob get it off boxing day...

if its a bent valve... i got 3good intake ones from my other engine !
Old 12-23-2003, 09:57 PM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I figured you'd have plenty of spares.
Old 01-02-2004, 06:29 PM

well the damage isn't so bad this time...

bent intake and exhaust valve around cylinder 1.. head is intact... thank god !
getting the valves and valve guides changed

Originally posted by chris_barry
Could the difficulty moving the lever into 4th be because the syncros were working overtime to get into second? If thats the case some mega revs could have been possible.

well the gear lever seemed much heavier to pull down out of 3rd and thus surprised me and i only ended up pulling it into neutral, i didnt go anywhere near 2nd !

hopefully fixed sometime this wkOriginally posted by chris_barry
Old 01-02-2004, 08:28 PM

Fireball, any idea why so much trouble with your engine? Afterall, you just put this engine in and you barelly had it back on the road before this happened again. So, what is the cause of this (if if can be pinpointed)?
Old 01-02-2004, 10:04 PM

Good to hear that the damage is not too serious.
Old 01-02-2004, 11:14 PM

I seriously think this might be an opportunity for you to strengthen your motor so it wont happen again & + you might want to go FI route later.
Old 01-03-2004, 03:33 PM

Originally posted by tothemaxx
I seriously think this might be an opportunity for you to strengthen your motor so it wont happen again & + you might want to go FI route later.

atm i don't think i have the time, money or resources to go strengthening the motor esp when the other 1/2 isn't happy about it

as for FI , i think the evo VIII is looking more attractive by the day and i think i've convinced her it's a 4door family car

so there could be a red s2k for sale soon
Old 01-06-2004, 05:36 AM

the place that is doing the work on the head told me that 8 of my valve spring retainers were fatigued with microscopic fractures... i also gave them my other head from the previous stuffed engine in the hope of salvaging parts but all 16 valve spring retainers were fatigued !!

they seem to think that the weak retainers cause the valves to be bent

hmmm hope i am not scaring everybody !
Old 01-06-2004, 02:54 PM

Are you sure you really want to accept the low resale that you would get due to the car's history? Personally I would steer well clear of such an expensive car that has mismatched chassis/engine numbers even with the legitimate explanation that you have fireball its just unrewarded risk as far as I can see. Sure there is risk in buying any 2nd hand car but to me this would raise flags and I dont mean to be brash but I've got to say that I'd low ball if I did even make an offer.

Again, just my opinion, but if something like this happened to me (god forbid) I think that I'd force myself to accept the loss and make it a keeper just to make some attempt to recover the sunk costs.

Not trying to scare or disrespect you just wondering if you were thinking along those lines wrt passing it off.

Either way good luck with it I hope there is a silver lining in it for you.
Old 01-06-2004, 03:50 PM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

My shortblock was replaced at 13K way back in 2001. With the right paperwork you go to the RTA and have the rego engine number changed to match the car and no one is the wiser. I'm not condoning deception, just pointing out the proper procedure.

Quick Reply: i am off the road again