Australia & New Zealand S2000 Owners Members from the land downunder.

i am off the road again

Old 12-18-2003, 02:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default i am off the road again

not sure what the f&%k goin on.

was in 3rd gear about 8700rpm trying to change into 4th gear but the clutch pedal seemed as tho it was still holding onto 3rd gear even tho it was almost depressed to the bottum and the gear shift felt harder to pull down than normal and consequently just slid into neutral.. the revs hit the limitter as i wasn't expecting to go into neutral ... i thought this was weird of the clutch... depressed it again whilst in neutral now completely off the gas.. but i notice the engine had already cut out

tried to start the car whilst it was still being carried forward in neutral but it wouldnt start

slowly pull off to the side off the road..
unable to start the car... it does crank tho.

got the car towed to my friend's house..
now the car does manage to start but runs really really rough and doesn't idle and just dies
my friend who put this engine comes over, checks the compression, 0psi in cylinder 1

oh dear
i'm thinking hmm is overrev possible ?hmm but it hit the limiter in neutral not in gear and i am sure of that...
all i can do now is
Old 12-18-2003, 02:59 AM

Mate you have the worst luck. feel for you...hope everything will work out. Man that sux. If I was you I wouldn't dare to rev my car fast 7k again.
Old 12-18-2003, 03:43 AM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

OH SH!T
Old 12-18-2003, 04:02 AM

You can't over-rev when accelerating in our cars can you? That's what the rev limiter is there for right?

SH!T dude, hope things aren't too bad with that engine.

wil..
Old 12-18-2003, 04:50 AM

Sorry to hear about your missfortune (again) :-( Though, you should NOT be able to over-rev the engine in neutral or in gear as the rev-limiter 'should' stop you. It was not uncummon of me (on the track) to rev the car all the way to cut-out and then bounce it there for a second or two in order to save me 2 gear-changes (ie. one up and one back down) before a corner.

Over-rev could/should be only possible if you down-change into a gear that is too low for the speed, and the drivetrain/wheels would pull the engine over the revs allowed by the rev-limiter.

Hopefully it is nothing too serious.
Old 12-18-2003, 11:30 AM

You can go past the limiter in neutral. It takes time to respond and revs rise so fast with no load it can be too late.
Old 12-18-2003, 01:17 PM

Sorry to hear about this Fireball - I really hope that you have not done any serious damage. Definitely not the Christmas present that you need!
Old 12-23-2003, 04:12 PM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Any news on this?
Old 12-23-2003, 07:36 PM

You can go past the limiter in neutral. It takes time to respond and revs rise so fast with no load it can be too late.
I know what you are saying Naishou, but valve/piston contact will not occur in an F20c until close to 11000rpm and the revlimiter should be able to respond by then even without any load.
Old 12-23-2003, 09:43 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Fireball,

Could the difficulty moving the lever into 4th be because the syncros were working overtime to get into second? If thats the case some mega revs could have been possible.

A loss of compression is either something wrong with the piston/rings or the valves. If its only on #1 then the camtiming sounds OK. Is there any Triffid like knocking from inside the engine?

If its just a valve to piston problem you should be able to replace the bent valves and possibly a piston or two. Time to get out the guillotine and off with your head.

If the clutch is pulsing on the pedal and gear selection is getting weird it can be from a broken crank across one of the journals. I saw a case like this. The rear of the crank was moving back towards the gearbox and making the clutch really wierd. Surprisingly it had broken across a big end bearing which was holding the two halves together.

Better ask Santa for a new F20C. Have you been good or bad?

Speedracer.

Quick Reply: i am off the road again