Australia & New Zealand S2000 Owners Members from the land downunder.

Was he after me?

Old 08-17-2004, 03:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Was he after me?

This morning on my way to work i was going down college st and out of nowhere i see this cop in a falcodore right behind me. I changed lanes in front of an old Volvo and the cop changed lanes behind him.

I signalled to turn left into William st. Since there is a pedestrian crossing there too (it is a little turning 'triangle') I stopped and let an old man cross. I then moved forward and did a full stop ('Turn left anytime with care') look to my right and proceded to merge.

The whole time i am keeping one eye on the cop and being extra careful. The car behind me starts to merge and woooooahh, the cop turns on the christmas tree!. I kept going, thinking that if he wanted me he should catch up and signal. Besides I wasn't speeding and the next lights were red.

To my surprise he signaled to the car behind me and pulled it over....

I am not sure why the guy got pulled over. The ony thing is that maybe he did a rolling stop but I did not see either way.Maybe a cop out to fill a quota? He was tailing me first...
Old 08-17-2004, 02:18 PM

It's best not to second guess cops I guess.

My mate and I were playing silly buggers in his xr8 ute (slightly worked, ie. sounds like the world is coming to an end when the engine revs). Got caught doing a burnout in an industrial area. The policeman just came up to the car all serious, asked a few questions, asked us to pop the hood, then commenced asking us about what had been done and how he always wanted to do something similar...

Left us with a warning.

Now what would've influenced this situation? The fact we were wearing suits (had work, then uni, couldn't be bothered getting changed), that we are well spoken, that it was a Ford XR8 and not an import or other?

I've heard lots of other stories where Skyline's have been defected, impounded, fines, etc etc. But never hear the stories that have happy endings. I wonder if this happens more often than not.

wil..
Old 08-17-2004, 02:37 PM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

In a lot of these situations you end up getting out of it exactly what you expected to get. Expect fair treatment and you get it. Expect a hard time and sure enough...
Old 08-17-2004, 03:23 PM

Hmmm. Not always.

When I was a sperm, I hit the straps of my ET Turbo at a set of lights when I was side-by-side with a Sigma turbo. Bit of tyre squeal, hit redline in first, dropped it to second, backed off. Maybe got to 65 in the FURY OF FWD 1.5L FORCED INDUCTION ACTION but then immediately backed off to 60. Then, a few hundred metres on, I was closely followed a further 600m down the road. The guy was so close, all the while I was watching my rearview and waiting for a glint of blue light. Sure enough, the flash eventually came and I was nicked.

The cops were nasty. They asked, using other than the Queen's english, whether I was the one who had burnt rubber at the lights. Obviously they weren't sure who it was. But I said yes, it was me, I was just being a silly bugger. I thought, well they've got me, I may as well 'fess up.

But then they tell me I was speeding too. 74 I think they said I was doing; they reckoned they got me using follow speed. I says no way, after I did it, I saw you guys in my rearview and made sure I didn't bust 60. They arc up, tell me what a hoon I am, and I maintain my innocence. They book me for it anyway.

My driving history wasn't good, and I knew it was likely the Magistrate would hear that I had admitted to a (minor) burnout, see my history, and dismiss my appeal. So I paid the fine and let it go.

A few years later I was going down a hill which I subsequently measured at 300m long. I was doing 75; it was a 70 zone. Car was a Barina GSi, and I had the driving lights on. In my rearview I see a car which had been going up the hill do a quick u-turn, then chase after me. I slow down. He catches up, and pulls me over at the bottom of the hill. So, in the time it took me to drive 300m, he has seen me, done the u-turn, caught up, and pulled me over.

I get out of the car, and he does the same. You were doing 92 he says. I deny that absolutely, and can I please see the radar. I got you on follow speed he says. I say I saw you do the u-turn, you didn't follow behind me at all- you just pulled me over. He goes batshit. F'n this and f'n that, you little f@cker, you should get your speedo checked because you were doing 92. I repeat my version of events, he tells me to shut up and writes me a ticket. I tell him I'm going to appeal it. More screaming from him. I ask him for his badge number. He says he's not giving it to me. I says "Mate, I've got your rego, and I know there is a record of who is driving what car at what time. So, you can either give me your badge number, or I will call up your branch, find it out that way, and at the same time lodge a complaint that you didn't give me your badge number like you are meant to." He doesn't say a word, pulls out a card, writes a number on it, and throws it in the gutter- "There's your badge number". I lean over, pick it up, and say "Thanks!". He gets in his car and drives off.

Turns out that old mate was so cranky, he screwed up the ticket- rather than writing the correct penalty on it ($135 at that time I think), he wrote "92" (i.e. my alleged speed). I appealed it on several bases, that being one of them, and the ticket was withdrawn.

Another time- same car, different situation. I make an illegal right turn into a suburban street which is zoned 40. I gun it and hit 80 before I see the cops with lasers up ahead. I pull over. Cop comes up to me and says very politely "Sir, we show you as doing 80kph in a 40 zone, do you have any reason for doing that speed today?" Now, I was in a big rush- I wasn't hooning for the sake of hooning- but it wasn't a medical emergency or anything. I say "Nothing that's going to get me out of the ticket". He says, again very politely, "I'll just be a few minutes." He writes out the ticket, comes back to my window, and gives me the spiel about how I have 28 days to pay it. He hands me the ticket, and very nonchalantly says "Have a nice day".

My bad cop cop/good cop tally is thus 2-1.

FD
Old 08-17-2004, 04:03 PM

Ummm, I didn't say having a good attitude is a get out of jail free ticket.

Anyways, they're always going to get you for something as, although it's not illegal, driving whilst fisting can hardly be considered safe.
Old 08-17-2004, 04:17 PM

It could just be that the guy was a known felon and they wanted to check if he was smuggling any little people

Not going into my usual long winded responses, but I once had an officer abuse me for calling him 'sir', I never called him a pig or a c*ntstable, just sir.

I wasn't being cheeky at all but this guy had run out of things to yell at me for and that was the best he could come up with
Old 08-17-2004, 04:33 PM

I still have to consciously bloke out the word "c*nt-stubble" whenever I talk to police. It's bad... I tend to call them officer. (I watch too much U.S. tv)

"c*nt-stubble" <-- it's too funny!!
Old 08-17-2004, 05:26 PM

Every now and then I get pulled over whilst driving through Brighton le Sands for no apparent reason other than that I am driving a WRX. It's pretty funny when they realise I'm not wearing my cap backwards and let me go.
Old 08-17-2004, 05:39 PM

I find it much easier just to call them 'Orificer'.
Old 08-17-2004, 06:24 PM

You wanna be careful with that one lest they pull out the gloves and orifice YOU.

Quick Reply: Was he after me?