Australia & New Zealand S2000 Owners Members from the land downunder.

Have you tried this to your stock air box?

Old 03-28-2007, 06:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Have you tried this to your stock air box?

Got bored while studying for a few tests so decided to do a leap of faith and try this

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.ph...ic=116347&st=0

It basically involves you cutting out the plastic partition on the bottom of the air box while taking off the L bend air director on the top of the box.

L bend after ripping it out:

Cut part with filter:

Without filter:

Apparently the spoon airfilter install instructions state that cutting out the partition and the L bend significantly increases airflow to the filter.

I left about 2-3 cms from the bottom of the partion so if that water did some how manage to get in atleast that little wall will block it out to some degree (I hope )

Also blocking out a little hole for the resonator part of the air box also gives you more intake sound like a refined CAI

Hole blocked:

RESULTS?

The car is actually slightly louder just like having the box off sounds but only about 40% of it.

Also the car seems to have better response. The down shifts for some reason are slightly more smoother and kangarooing is less evident as well.

Even while cruising at 55-60, (5th gear is the highest you want to stay at that speed without the bogging effect kicking in right?) and hitting 6th gear at those speeds you get less bogging and the car just seems to hum away and still have enough power to accelerate.

I think though it would be way more effective with a K&N filter and a AUT design cooling plate which I will be getting very soon

In the end it was worth the hour of cutting and sanding the air box
Old 03-29-2007, 06:30 AM

Nice write up!

What did you use to cut it out?
Old 03-29-2007, 06:36 AM

I tried doing this, but failed after I realised you need a dremel...haha now i've got 'L' take from the top and half of it cut on the bottom...haha
Old 03-29-2007, 10:39 AM

it's a bit gay i'm afraid.
Old 03-29-2007, 01:32 PM

All you need to do is just cut it using a small hack saw, make four or three cuts down to where you want it, heat it up (optional) and it just snaps off

Plus just sand down the imperfections so it looks decent
Old 03-29-2007, 02:24 PM

taxxed, you can borrow my dremel if you want..

i think i'll be giving this a go too
Old 03-29-2007, 03:59 PM

FYI that partition is there to help prevent any water from making it to your filter so removing it is removing a failsafe that may lead to hydro lock. Of course the chances of water getting in there are obvious enough that you can calcualate your individual risk and act accordingly but I thought it was worth pointing out.
Old 03-29-2007, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by replicah,Mar 29 2007, 02:24 PM
taxxed, you can borrow my dremel if you want..

i think i'll be giving this a go too
hey dan,

let me know when you do it on msn or something! I'd like to finish the job off haha

Just for everyones peace of mind, there have been people who have been running around like this for years, I have a friend who has had thing done for years and even has the spoon snorkel that leads to the grill in the front bar. He's never had any issues with hydro-lock.
Old 03-29-2007, 05:36 PM

Wasn't there something said about the OEM box that it was tuned to maximise air volume and flow using the Helmotz effect? And that any modifications to the box would actually be detrimental to power?

Anyway, nice write and pics VGSS2K.
Old 03-29-2007, 05:49 PM

I'm not sure about that, although i would look at getting a Spoon intake to complement the modification. My mate reckons that he doesn't get any heat soak after doing all the mods, which is what I'm after from this...

Quick Reply: Have you tried this to your stock air box?