Australia & New Zealand S2000 Owners Members from the land downunder.

Harness Bars & Bucket Seats

Old 11-07-2008, 04:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Harness Bars & Bucket Seats

Hey everyone,

Am looking at changing the stock seat for a bucket seat in the near future and wanted to hear other peoples experiences and opinions. last time I was at the track it became increasingly difficult to concentrate on cornering while I was sliding around on the stock leather seat and still trying to maintain my position using my legs and shoulders.

I've rung around a few places and seems that there are very limited number of seats that will fit our car due to the narrow space that the seat sits in. Velo Racing's Milano fit as well as some of the narrower Sparco seats. I went to revolution Racegear to try some of them out, I must say i found the Cobra seats somewhat more supportive.

I am also looking at getting a Harness Bar for a 4-point harness, at this stage I've only talked to Meridian Motorsport and Melbourne Performance centre. Both quoting around the $500 mark. Has any installed a harness bar in there car and if so, where did you go to have it done? I would prefer it not welded onto the chassis but rather bolted on so that I can remove it a bit more easily.

Any experiences, opinions or comments would be appreciated.
Old 11-07-2008, 06:48 PM

I had a Velo GT-P (i think) trimmed around the wings and it fits ok. Doesn't rub on the door and still allows access to the centre console. Have you thought about what you are going to do for a seat rail?

As for the harness bar, the only way i'm aware you can do it is through the use of a 4 point roll bar. You will either have to cut your plastic trim or remove it all together to fit one in.

The best quote i've had for a roll bar is around a grand for a CAMS approved setup for super sprints.

Out of interest do you know where the harness bar you are looking at mounts??
Also do you plan to compete in any CAMS run events??
Old 11-07-2008, 08:45 PM

Out of interest do you know where the harness bar you are looking at mounts??
Have to clarify with them, Meridian already has installed one. The other place has to have a look at the car as there havn't made on. Looking for a 4 point harness bar.

Also do you plan to compete in any CAMS run events??
Yes I do, one of the guys at Revolution works for CAMS and said it wont be an issue.

Old 11-07-2008, 08:58 PM

If you can get a 4 point for $500 your doing well. Will be interested to see how it turns out
Old 11-08-2008, 03:06 PM

Hi,

I have recently put in a Sparco Pro 2000 seat with a Willans 4pt harness. I have my harness attached directly to the double skin cross member behind the seat. The seat will rub the door if it is not all the way back. I would recommend the MemoryFab seat rail for mounting any bucket seat (side mount) in this car.
Old 11-08-2008, 04:10 PM

Mcopley, do you have any pictures of your harness mounting points? Sounds like the angle of the belt might be a bit too low to meet CAMS requirments.
Issues regarding safety of running 4 point without proper roll over protection have also been raised in the racing and competition forum.
Might be worth a look

cheers
Old 11-09-2008, 12:44 PM

Not sure if you can see properly from this photo, but the mounting points are directly level with the harness holes on the seat. This was installed by KTEC Racing and I have been told that it does meet CAMS requirements. I will be getting a half cage welded in soon, but I don't plan to change the mounts for the harness.

I would take more photos, but my camera was stolen
Old 11-09-2008, 01:46 PM

i recall seeing a device called the "g-lock" or something and it fits onto your standard seat belt and helps tighten the belt so there is no slack to firmly hold you in place for track purposes. It is a little metal buckle looking sort of device.

They sell it on this site , might be worth doing a search for reviews and trying one out , If i recall correctly, it was about $80-$90 USD.

just a suggestion.
Old 11-09-2008, 01:55 PM

There is a seat belt trick that I use for the stock seats/belt setup. I can show you on Sunday Mike!
Old 11-09-2008, 09:20 PM

If the mounting points sit level with the harness holes in the seat then it meets CAMS requirements
Nice setup you have there
Any reason you are going for a half cage as apposed to the roll hoops you currently have?

Quick Reply: Harness Bars & Bucket Seats