Australia & New Zealand S2000 Owners Members from the land downunder.

Grinding noise on startup.

Old 11-10-2004, 01:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Grinding noise on startup.

Over the last month I have noticed an unusual phenomenon on the S2k.

If, and only if, I leave it sitting a day without driving, on first start up I hear a noise as if the starter motor is continuing to spin and grind after the engine starts. It only last for a split second and if I had to guess I would say it sounds like the starter clutch dogs are not retracting properly and the engine is spinning the starter motor for a brief moment after the engine has started.

So far it has happened approx 5 to 6 times. I suspect I am in the early stages of starter motor failure and if so, I would like to proactively address the problem rather than wait for it to fail at an incovenient moment.

Of course, I could always visit the dealer but it could be simple problem some one else has already experienced and found an easy fix for.

Your thoughts and experiences gentlemen?
Old 11-10-2004, 03:21 AM

Your diagnosis sounds pretty fair. Might be a good idea to get the solenoid replaced before it gives out entirely.
Old 11-10-2004, 03:27 AM

Good suggestion Naishou. How does the solenoid work? Isn't it just a relay switch?

I assume that it is failing to cut the power to the starter motor once the engine has started. Would this be correct?
Old 11-10-2004, 02:37 PM

Solenoids are powerful magnetic coils, usually with a concentric shaft that is forced in or out when a current is passed through the coil. They are kind of like linear electric motors with a limited travel. I've never had one apart, but my assumption is that the solenoid associated with the starter motor is what engages the teeth onto the flywheel. If it gets physically stuck or the coil burns out you either end up with teeth that won't engage and a starter that won't turn over, or teeth that won't disengage (your problem). This is just my theory so best ask a mechanic what he thinks.
Old 11-10-2004, 03:40 PM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

It does sound like the solenoid, but as it is still functional I'm thinking it could just be contaminants. Clutch dust or road crud on the shaft. Definitely worth pullin git out and cleaning it up first.
Old 11-10-2004, 05:24 PM

Well, this is not getting any better. The "noise" was there on startup yesterday, and today, so it now looks like it is going to happen every first start for the day.

I tried a couple of things to try and diagnose the problem.
1. Immediate shutdown and restart - no noise.
2. Press the starter button after the engine is started - this makes a similar noise metal to metal noise but at a lower pitch.

I posted this problem in "under the Hood" and there is a suggestion it may be cam chain or oil pump related - I hope not as that could have much broader ramifications in terms of damage, or increased wear, to engine internals.

Anyways, I'll take your advice guys - this weekend I'll pull out the starter motor and give it a good eyeballing and cleanup.
Old 11-10-2004, 05:34 PM

Wow...what timing! I just logged in to see if, by chance, anyone else was experiencing the same problem! Mine (also a '00 Silverstone/Black ) JUST started doing the exact same thing! I don't know when I'll be able to pull the starter, so I'll be anxiously waiting to see what you find, 2kturkey.
Old 11-10-2004, 06:31 PM

I'l let you know 00.

It's a bit of a pain happening right now, given that I have my motorcycle torn down in prep for my annual end of year mountain pilgrimage and I am also doing some fine tuning on the gokart motor. Oh well, things always seem to happen in threes.
Old 11-11-2004, 05:28 AM

Originally Posted by 2kturkey,Nov 10 2004, 07:31 PM
I'l let you know 00.

It's a bit of a pain happening right now, given that I have my motorcycle torn down in prep for my annual end of year mountain pilgrimage and I am also doing some fine tuning on the gokart motor. Oh well, things always seem to happen in threes.
Thank You, s2.

Seeing your other post, I'll try to get under the car this weekend to see if the mounting bolts were reinstalled properly after the tranny was pulled for TSB-0054 (May '03). I hope this isn't it, but I'm more hopeful that it isn't something more serious like what others are suggesting (timing chain tensioner, oil pump, etc.). Mine sure sounds starter-related, so I'll pull the starter later if the problem keeps up. The Service Manual has a pretty thorough section for servicing the starter.

Thanks again & good luck with your motorcycle/gokart projects, too!
Old 11-11-2004, 04:33 PM

Well, interestingly enough it didn't make the noise on first startup today.

There's nothing worse than trying to diagnose an intermittent fault.

Quick Reply: Grinding noise on startup.