Australia & New Zealand S2000 Owners Members from the land downunder.

Extended Warranty Price Increase

Old 11-06-2001, 11:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Extended Warranty Price Increase

I just opened my mail. Honda have announced a $1000 increase in their extended warranty The increase is from $750 to $1750.

I suppose you will all get your letters soon, if you haven't already got them.

I phoned up the Honda Customer Service Hotline and they said that they are offering a bit more under the new more expensive warranty, like roadside assistance and some other things but they could not tell me what (by the way dont NRMA offer roadside assistance for about $60 per year?!)

If you register before the end of the month you can get the extended warranty for the old price - but I am wondering exactly what the diff is between the two warrantys.

Anyway, I was just wondering if its worth getting the extended warranty, what do you guys think.
Old 11-06-2001, 11:56 PM

G'day Taipan,

If you read my thread - My "National Lampoon's - Indy Vacation"....!! - https://www.s2ki.com/forums/showthread.php?...&threadid=33585 - you'd understand the benefits of taking out the extended warranty?!

The extended warranty for my ITR cost $400 and the replacement of my clutch, would have been $1,400....but thanks to the EW, it cost me nothing! I'm effectively $1,000 ahead already and I've still got either 21 months or 32,000 kms left to run....who knows, if I'll rely on it again (hopefully not)?!

I would advise you spend the $750 (while you can) and get the EW.

Cheers,
-Mark-
Old 11-07-2001, 01:30 AM

my insurance, honda insurance gives me free roadside assistance. i got a dealer extended warranty- it gives me 5 years, cost $395 and i get a refund if i end the contract early, it gives me the same features as the honda warranty but i need to serive it at the dealer, i dont mind cause the service guys r actually great to deal with and they know their stuff, thats why they won nsw best service centre this year.
Old 11-07-2001, 03:06 AM

I didn't know that the clutch is covered in warranty? Well if it is then I suppose it's pretty okay. Other than which, warranty is quite useless on a stock car more like for emergency just in case something unexpected happens. But if you modify your car, warranty is basically not there since day one when you decide to change something like your headers or extractors.
Old 11-07-2001, 02:13 PM

Takashi i had my clutch replaced under warranty this year, the cart had only 1500km on it .
Old 11-07-2001, 02:39 PM

The clutch is not normally covered under the warranty as it is a 'consumable' like brake pads etc. The only time that clutches get replaced is if they are deemed to be defective. Most people expect clutches to last somewhere around 50,000kms or more(depending on use/abuse), so if it were to fail prematurely (ie 1,500 kms), I would be demanding a new one too. In my opinion Mark has been a little bit lucky to get coverage on his ITR clutch, just because his car has done so many kilometres. Personally I wouldn't expect the Honda Extended Warranty to cover clutches, but if they have bumped it up to $1700, you would want some value for your money!!
Old 11-07-2001, 10:46 PM

Right I see Goul, the situation was clear cut. But I am also pondering how Honda covered the Integra Type R's clutch warranty which mentioned had high kilometers? Hmm, that's a good thought ...

Old 11-08-2001, 03:29 AM

rotors on my brothers jeep were covered up to 12 months or 20k kms, the clutch i assume is covered up to a reasonable time limit, obviously 5000km is unusual, hence they will replace it.
btw, how badly do u have to drive to screw up a clutch and make it pretty much useless, and no, i dont mean resting ur foot on it, just sloppy driving- 20km, 30 kms??
Old 11-08-2001, 09:41 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Alister
[B]The clutch is not normally covered under the warranty as it is a 'consumable' like brake pads etc.
Old 11-08-2001, 04:42 PM

Hmm... thanks for the responses. I think I will go ahead and get the warranty extension for $750 while I can. Better safe than sorry I suppose.

Quick Reply: Extended Warranty Price Increase