Australia & New Zealand S2000 Owners Members from the land downunder.

Extended Warranty

Old 09-24-2002, 12:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting comments that appear to mix Honda Australia and Honda dealers.

Clearly the Honda dealer must talk with Honda Aus to approve a warranty repair. How much of the dicking around is caused by the dealer not explaining the problem to HQ properly in the first place?

It would also be interesting to see how many warranty claims are registered due to faulty workmanship at the dealer rather than with the original product?

And, how many claims are registered for other Honda models.
Old 09-24-2002, 11:33 AM

My ITR only came with an 80K warranty (a year later it was 100K - buggers!) and I did take out the 'EW' @ my 80K service (time is NOT an issue for me; as I do so many bloody km's)!!

Unlike soooo many others, I am very glad I took out the 'EW'; as @ 87K my clutch gave out (on the way to 'Honda Indy' last year) and it was fully replaced under warranty. So to was the 3rd gear synchro earlier this year and more recently my aerial.

All up for my $450 investment, I have saved about $2,500. If I am lucky....a few more items (engine? ) will be replaced, before I hit 120K (only 13K to go!).

Good luck everyone....
Old 09-24-2002, 03:10 PM

I never had any warranty issues when i use to have my ITR.
Old 09-24-2002, 03:16 PM

Originally posted by azstama
I never had any warranty issues when i use to have my ITR.
Fair enough, but how many km's had you done in your ITR....I'd wager no where near the number I have done (refer to sig) so far?!
Old 09-24-2002, 04:56 PM

Good point.... never even reach 40,000 kms with mine!!!!
Old 09-25-2002, 10:07 PM

A good idea to take out that extended warranty if you are planning to sell the car ...

most owners would still want to look at the warranty .. belive it or not ...
Old 09-28-2002, 03:50 AM

Originally posted by yuchen
A good idea to take out that extended warranty if you are planning to sell the car ...

most owners would still want to look at the warranty .. belive it or not ...
Not that I'm planning on selling it, but wouldn't it be possible for a buyer to arrange an extended warranty cover? Wouldn't it be just a matter of him taking it to a Honda Dealer and asking for an inspection and if OK then take out an extended warranty?

The other response to a potential buyer would be that you didn't bother with the extended warranty because you were confident of reliability.

This also raises the question of whether to sell privately or to just use it as a trade in on the next car. If you were trading in an extended warranty would be irrelevant.

Anyway Guys, what's the consensus? Are you going to take the extended warranty or not when your original warranty expires??
Old 09-28-2002, 05:35 AM

Dan

There is no way i'd take out extended warranty! Someone should ask Honda why extended warranty has gone up from $450 to $800 to $1750 in about a year ????????

Too expensive... eg. for clutch ....with that money I'd just get a stronger aftermarket clutch

The only reason I'd take out extended warranty is to cover me on the concern of a blown engine but it seems Honda don't honour warranties when it comes to this ???
Old 09-28-2002, 11:29 PM

I got extended warranty, but on my ITR.

During the factory run out they came with the ext warranty for no extra cost.

Pretty useless though.. it's been nearly 12 months since i got it and i just hit 5000km the other day.
Old 09-29-2002, 12:45 AM

I took out the EW at 2 years 9 months, when it seemed the clutches went at about 30k, and I'd just done 20k. Now it seems to be a bit more of a time factor...
I still haven't had it replaced, though having sat in the YellaFella's car after it had been diagnosed, mine is borderline - if it gets worse I'll be at the dealer's straight away. Watch this space...

In summary, if the car is post 01 build (i.e. with the good clutch) I probably wouldn't bother.

Earlier build cars; assuming the car is otherwise in good condition: if it has had the clutch replaced with the newer type, then I probably wouldn't bother either; but if it hasn't been replaced then I probably would - unless I was in Queensland, in which case...

Quick Reply: Extended Warranty