Australia & New Zealand S2000 Owners Members from the land downunder.

Elfin Hell!

Old 12-09-2005, 03:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Theres an Elfin versus Exige story in the latest Wheels Yearbook thats just come out.

Mind you I think the Radical is ugly as hell. But it's un-be-f**king-leivably fast. Theres a V8 version out there!
Old 12-09-2005, 05:18 PM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

When we were driving the Elfin we stopped off for petrol and saw the mag. I bought it at the airport on the way back.

Yes Radical have a V8 made from two Hayabusa heads on a custom block but A) it won't be cheaper than the Elfin B) you can't register it.
Old 12-09-2005, 05:19 PM

BTW, there are also a few Easton Chang photos in there that are pretty damn impressive!
Old 12-11-2005, 01:59 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

And this is not a kit car. It is a road registerable turnkey car from a bespoke manufacturer with an impeccable racing heritage.
This isn't really the case. Elfin's current owners purchased the brand name around 5 years ago and have no engineering link to the Elfin company that Gary cooper built. They made a 4 cylinder clubman which had a pretty basic chassis and suspension and was 100kg heavier than other clubmans on the market. It took some styling cues from the original Elfin clubman but was a significantly larger vehicle. On the race tracks the Elfin clubman has never come close to a PRB which is due to the weight and basic suspension geometry

The latest 8 cylinder Elfins have some nice engineering from Harrop on the uprights and brakes, but the chassis is far from elegant. Its strong, functional and easy to fabricate but not elegant. No doubt it would be an entertaining car to drive, but is getting away from the lightweight clubman formula and aimed more at the second hand Porsche market.

Race wise, Elfins current owners have done very little racing, and what they have done is nothing groundbreaking. Comparing race results PRB's have been 2.5 seconds quicker than the Elfin at Phillip Island, and 6 seconds quicker at Winton. Winton shows how much of a difference a bit of handling can make. In the NSW clubman challenge the sole Elfin has only run near the front of the grid at the start of the reverse grid races.

Elfin are marketing guys so you expect them to highlight Elfins racing history. Its just a shame that history was made by completely different people in completely different cars. The name on the box is the same, just the contents are different.

my 2cent for free.

Chris.
Old 12-11-2005, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by chris_barry,Dec 12 2005, 08:59 AM
This isn't really the case. Elfin's current owners purchased the brand name around 5 years ago and have no engineering link to the Elfin company that Gary cooper built.
I guess there are always two sides to the story. But the fact is, Pete that works there has been there for donkey's years. And he only retired so he would actually have time to catalogue all the body parts and moulds (wheel moulds, suspension part moulds and body shell moulds) covering all the Elfin models.

He also showed us the old notebooks used by Gary to design Elfins. They are oil stained and tattered. All the specs are in imperial and very few of the designs are actually specified by year and model so finding the drawing for a particular part for a particular model is a matter of hunting and finding. Pete is in the process of redoing the specs in metric and filing them.

I guess what I'm saying is that owner ship of the name may have changed but along with it went a lot of very passionate people and all the heritage of the Elfin company.
Old 12-11-2005, 04:12 PM

Oh, and don't get me wrong, this is not a PRB vs. Elfin thing. I went to the drive day because it was an opportunity to experience something different and a bit unique. Same as the experiences I've had at PRB and at Clubman drive days.

If Roaring Forties ring next week and invite me to a track day I'll be on the first plane. I'm an auto-engineering slut!
Old 12-11-2005, 05:15 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

No probs. Its actually good that Elfin are maintaining and buying up older cars and preserving their brands Heritage. Its just a shame the way they rubbish PRB and the other clubman manufacturers who have been in the market a lot longer than Elfin's current custodians.

We get "suspects" looking at PRB's who ask why on earth Elfin are so vocally anti PRB. You have to wonder why they are even worried as the new Elfins are targeted at a different market/budget.

Chris.
Old 12-11-2005, 05:26 PM

Sounds like you've been listening to rumours. I certainly didn't get that feeling and I mentioned my experiences with PRB several times.
Old 12-11-2005, 06:43 PM

I kinda did when I asked about the weather protection of their basic clubman. It was more sarcasmn than rubbishing but I felt the need to quickly change the topic.
Old 12-12-2005, 03:00 PM

I'd say that the Elfins are about $60 - $70k too expensive. Not sure wwhy they copsat that much ... afterall it uses most of Commodore hardware you can get one of those for $45k (from a delater). So what do you pay the other $100k for?

The problem that the Elfin has is this:

http://www.radical.net.au/flash.html

You an get one of these for $80 to $100k and I can't see the Elfin coming anywhere close to it it terms or performance.
As stated earlier, the engine has been detuned. Borrowing performance parts from other commodores this little elfin could easily (and cheaply) achieve power in excess of 350rwKw. Although I have no experience in the efin im guessing that with bigger rubber to handle those power the car would give the top radical a run for its money. Hell im guessing if the 5.7L can fit in there then the new 6L and 7L vette engine can also fit in there, look at where the vette placed in the ring.

If you think the efin doesnt deserve a price tag of over 100K then why is the radical deserving of its price tag since it has a smaller engine (from a bike), less power, less development and cant be driven on our roads?

Quick Reply: Elfin Hell!