Australia & New Zealand S2000 Owners Members from the land downunder.

Elfin Hell!

Old 12-08-2005, 03:53 PM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Ok. I wonder what we said. I know Tim mentioned his herpes at one point.
Old 12-08-2005, 04:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AusS2000,Dec 8 2005, 04:53 PM
Ok. I wonder what we said. I know Tim mentioned his herpes at one point.
Thanks for that Aus! Public forum using my real name.

I don't think I'll ever be able to shake hands without wearing rubber gloves again.

P.S. has your nasty little rash died down yet?
Old 12-08-2005, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by DavidM,Dec 8 2005, 10:28 PM
I'd say that the Elfins are about $60 - $70k too expensive. Not sure wwhy they copsat that much ... afterall it uses most of Commodore hardware you can get one of those for $45k (from a delater). So what do you pay the other $100k for?

The problem that the Elfin has is this:

http://www.radical.net.au/flash.html

You an get one of these for $80 to $100k and I can't see the Elfin coming anywhere close to it it terms or performance.
I agree.
For that sort of money for a track car, I would prefer to get a used imported GT3 cup car. It certainly will pull a lot more lowies and way safer.
Old 12-08-2005, 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by AusS2000,Dec 9 2005, 10:01 AM
You guys having trouble getting the file or playing it? What happens if you right click and save?

It's a MOV file so will probably need QuickTime. I'll convert to WMV for the heathens.
Sorry - been out all day, just got back. Did the right click & save - now works OK. Thanks
Old 12-08-2005, 11:41 PM

The radical is not a road legal car in Aust (NSW at least) so that makes any comparison pointless.

The Elfin is only 'road legal' here if you tick a $10k option to make it road legal. Check their price list - the price that you read is not for the road going version.

If you can't see from the pictures what else goes into the car then get them eyes checked.

Nope, sorry I don't see $100k there. It's not like there are some 'exotic' materials being used (ie. carbon-bibre) ... I don't see it any different to any other kit car, and from that perspective the Radical is a lot cheaper even though it is imported. Also like I said - all the hardware is directly from the Commodore and very little is done to it to improve it ... so I dont's see where the money is going.

Though I take on board your argument that demand dictates the price. So the 12 (or so) that they have sold must have had buyers for that price. If they can't make them any quicker then why sell them for any less?

ps. Don't get me wrong, I love the thought of the Elfin, and I'm sure it's an awesome car ... no argument there. It's just that personaly I would not pay much more than $70k for a new one, and that is the 'road legal' version.
Old 12-09-2005, 03:27 AM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by DavidM,Dec 9 2005, 06:41 PM
Nope, sorry I don't see $100k there.
I think you may have misunderstood me. I didn't say you could see $100K there, I said there is more in there than Commodore. There is work in there, from the custom calipers, through the steel frame chassis to the bespoke fibreglass body. Whether it's worth $100K or not the market will decide, but then I guess you could argue that there isn't $600K in a Lamborghini either.

There are also a lot of hidden costs. Small car manufacturers have to undergo a lot of tests even more stringent than the big manufacturers. The reason the Clubman wasn't available was that it was undergoing a the SOAP test. This is a test carried out in a special facility to monitor emmission levels whilst the car is standing (from the leather, fibreglass, glue etc). Each test cost $3K.

And this is not a kit car. It is a road registerable turnkey car from a bespoke manufacturer with an impeccable racing heritage. I mentioned the word 'Lotus' and Bill nearly bit my head off. I wouldn't go calling it a Commodore with a body kit within earshot.
Old 12-09-2005, 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by DavidM,Dec 9 2005, 06:41 PM

The Elfin is only 'road legal' here if you tick a $10k option to make it road legal. Check their price list - the price that you read is not for the road going version.

I don't see the 10k option. Where is it?

I am looking at the link below and says 'registration compliant' standard:
http://www.elfin.com.au/flash/streamliner.aspx

It is the same as the two printed brouchures I have.

The MS8 clubman does have the 10k option to be registration compliant:
http://www.elfin.com.au/flash/clubman.aspx

BUT even in road legal form it is 20k cheaper. So your statement should be corrected to "30-40k too expensive" to make sure we are all taking about the same car. And surely, you must agree that for the 'road legal' option to even be there as a 'bolt on', some cost must be added to the non-road legal car. Extra cost that would have nothing to do with looks or perfomance.

ps. Don't get me wrong, I love the thought of the Elfin, and I'm sure it's an awesome car ... no argument there. It's just that personaly I would not pay much more than $70k for a new one, and that is the 'road legal' version.

Once again, ask Chris how much he has spent on the S2000 powered clubman. Then offer him "just the extra cost of the S2000 donated gear" over the standard $40k (for a turnkey PRB) as it is obvious it is just a clubman with a different engine... and watch his reaction.

F20C Clubman

Non F20C clubman

BTW: I would love to be able to afford any of the cars we are talking about here (radical, elfin, PRB, ariel) or even just an old FF (the ones you can get for $15k) so I too would rather pay $70k for an elfin rather than the listed price.
Old 12-09-2005, 12:45 PM

The MS8 clubman does have the 10k option to be registration compliant:
http://www.elfin.com.au/flash/clubman.aspx

BUT even in road legal form it is 20k cheaper. So your statement should be corrected to "30-40k too expensive" to make sure we are all taking about the same car

Yep, you're correct - it's only the MS8 that has that option so I your also correct about my statement being corrected to "$40k too expensive".

I like the MS8 better than the Streamliner and the road going version MS8 is listed at $115.

ps. As I stated before - I would love to have one in my garage, just if I had to pay that much for it I'd rather get a Radical ... even one of the 'basic' ones for $80k as I can't see the Elfin coming anywhere close to. The Radical is something like 500kg, revs to 10k rpm, has 7 speed sequencial gearbox and a lot of downforce.
Old 12-09-2005, 01:43 PM

I'd dearly love to see a comparison table of all the clubman type cars. Elfin, PRB, Lotus, Aerial Atom, Radical, Caterham etc etc - that spells out exactly what you get in each.
Old 12-09-2005, 01:48 PM

I too liked the MS8 Clubman better than the Streamliner when they were first displayed in 2004. But the lack of a hardtop made them both a "desktop wallpaper" kinda of car for me.

Now that the streamliner has a hardtop it is a little different.

Quick Reply: Elfin Hell!