Australia & New Zealand S2000 Owners Members from the land downunder.

The dreaded "rear clicking" noise!!!

Old 11-16-2003, 11:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The dreaded "rear clicking" noise!!!

About 2 weeks ago I noticed a very faint clicking from the rear left side of the car. It is most noticeable when reversing and leaving 1st gear as well as taking corners from 10-40km/h plus any higher speed turns.

Now I have used the search function and came across many possible causes. From what I can tell it's either:

1) The spindle nut will have to be replaced and a new nut will have to be retorqued plus some lubrication for it.

or

2) The CV joint will have to be replaced.

Now I thought I'd ask the aussies on this board who have experienced it - what are the costs for replacing one or both of these?? - does Honda cover these under warranty???

Also while I'm posting - topic of the clutch replacement for 99-01's.

My car when decelerating in 3rd (5000-3000rpm) will make a whirring/whine noise - is this normal or is it a sign that it needs to be replaced. The s2k has always been a fairly noisy car but as I get more used to it, these things become more apparent. I have spoken to a dealer and they said a Honda rep will have to drive it and even then a car with my km's on it (37kms) they are less likely to do it under warranty - what sort of position am I in - do I have a right to ask them to do it under warranty?

Thanks for the help
Old 11-17-2003, 12:09 AM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

The clicking sounds like the early stages of the CV shudder I had. See if it gets worse whilst accelerating through a right hand bend.

If so, it'll continue to get worse and need replacing. It is a warranty item so get it noted now. 37k is a new car as far as I'm concerned.

The clutch noise does sound exactly like the clutch buzz we've all heard of. See if you can get it done at the same time. I have to say that the buzz is not really a big problem, but then I've had mine done already.
Old 11-17-2003, 01:45 AM

Ziggy, it's best to get all of these looked at by your dealer. The clicking noise could be something as simple as tightening a few nuts or a bit of lubrication or it might be something else.

Yes, do get a Honda rep to drive it and YES, the clutch should be replaced under warranty. If your car is less than 3 years old it's still under warranty and 37K Kms is low mileage.

However, don't go into your dealer with an aggressive or confrontational attitude. That only gets them offside. Much better to go in with a friendly asking-for-help attitude. That is, try diplomacy first.

Don't try to tell them what's wrong. Explain the symptoms to them and ask them to diagnose the problem for you. If at first you don't get the response you want, stay friendly but be persistent.

For more discussion have a good read of this thread

http://forums.s2ki.com/forums/showthread.p...threadid=157115
Old 11-17-2003, 01:59 AM
SMM

ZiggyJJ,

I had my clutch repaired under the extended warranty about 5 weeks ago at close to 70000kms and 4.5 years of age. Go with RedRovers advice.

I simply asked them to tell what the noise was and they said we need to drive the car. They then called to say it will be in overnight for some surgery which has worked a charm.

Everyone was happy and it still goes like stink.
Old 11-17-2003, 03:51 AM

Here's a link to the US service bulletins that can be used to identify problems and their solutions.

Go with the good advise that you've been given so far and if the dealer tells you that they cant seem to find the source of the problem then you might let them know that you came across this and thought that it might help. Don't go throwing this down their throats as they will rightly tell you that it is an American document that doesn't apply to our market even though they are the same car.

https://www.s2ki.com/user/content/view/full/259/
Old 11-17-2003, 07:00 PM

I just had one complete driveshaft and the other cv jiont replaced under honad extended warrenty...

I didnt hear any nioses, just shudder ander load/and/or weight....

Actually - i am blessing this honda warrenty - as i had my diff replaced and my input shaft bearing also - only had the car since Feb ..(2000 s2k)
Old 11-17-2003, 07:07 PM

Thanks for all the info everyone.

The only thing I worry about is that Honda will be ignorant about the clutch problem - as last time I spoke to them they said all s2k's make that noise!!

I'll go in with the humble approach and see how I go - What sort of times will I be looking at if they discover the cv needs replacing as well as the clutch?? 2days??

How much does the extended warranty cost??
Old 11-17-2003, 07:10 PM

yeh - prob a day for each

my clutch took a day, as did my cv jiont
Old 11-17-2003, 09:50 PM

Ziggy, I just had my clutch replaced as well and i got knocked back from the service center that I got the car from. Their excuse was, well 'all S2000s do this an there is nothing we can do to fix it'. I did not get upset as I said to myself "Ok, you idiots, I'll never come back to you guys for servicing"

I then turned up to another dealer (bigger one) and told them that I knew people have had this clutch replaced under warranty and I was very unhappy with my current service center and was looking for another service center to have the rest of my servicing done. They took my car in, said they'll need to do some test, called me two days later and said the clutch had been replaced.

I think the crucial link is the service manager. Apparently they have to ring honda for advice and approval of repair under warranty.

Good luck
Old 11-17-2003, 11:33 PM

Thanks for all the good info.

I've got it booked in next week - i'll post an update.

I told them that I'd driven my mates 03 s2k and the difference between his and mine was noticeable - which it was. They just said it's the compression springs and it doesn't do any damage to the car - I enquired price on clutch kits - $1500-1800

Just have to wait and see what comes of it.

Once again thanks to all.

Quick Reply: The dreaded "rear clicking" noise!!!