Australia & New Zealand S2000 Owners Members from the land downunder.

Damn swirl marks!

Old 03-27-2006, 06:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Damn swirl marks!

ok im sure you guys on here can relate to this topic or have queried this before, but just wondering the best method you guys have tried with or without success to get rid of those nasty swirl marks.

im planning to do a full detail on my car but just need some tips on what detailing regime you guys use. What products, techniques etc im not scared of a bit of hard work as long as the end result is quite satisfying. Any suggestions would be much appreciated
Old 03-27-2006, 06:54 PM

I find i get the best results from using a buffing machine rather than by hand.

Wash the car with dishwashing liquid and after drying the car i used a Meguairs claybar to smooth out and prepare the paint, then wash it again & dry it off.

Then i apply the Meguairs polish one small section (about 2 * 2 feet) at a time until the whole car is done.

After i'm satisfied with the removal of swirls i then use NXT wax to cover the polish.

I took to my brothers white accord on the weekend and amazingly i got rid of the swirls & any black marks that were on his car & brought out an amazing shine.

It took about 3 - 3.5hrs to complete but definitely satisfying.

One problem is that when it gets that shiny, be warned that you will notice every little bump or door dings e.t.c on the car.
Old 03-27-2006, 07:21 PM

did i read that right??? "wash the car with dishwashing liquid"????

yeah i have heard good things bout the clay bar but yet to try it.

i dont have access to buffing machine so guess its just hard ass elbow grease that i have to resort to.

This is all due to petrol station lights! car under petrol station lights reveals all kinds of nasty blemishes! my paint isnt that bad though im quite meticulous when it comes to my car as most S2k owners are i assume.

i might try wash, dry, claybar, wash, polish and then two coats of wax and hopefully that will do the job.
Old 03-27-2006, 07:32 PM

Yep you read it right.

Dishwashing liquid removes all the old wax off the car & the claybar smooths back the surface.

A good trick is to put your hand in a plastic bag whilst using the claybar and you will be able to feel whether or not the claybar has smoothed down the body.

Just dont drop the claybar on the ground or its useless as it will pick up the dirt particles & end up scratching your paint.

You'd probably be better off doing more coats of polish rather than the wax as wax cant really be layered on top of each other like some polishes can.

Goodluck
Old 03-27-2006, 07:45 PM

thanks for that will give it a go.. putting aside a full day to detail my car in and out.

hopefully will be well worth it when im done.. once im finished i'll do the "under petrol station lights" test and see if anyhting comes up. lol
Old 03-27-2006, 10:39 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Out of curiosity BLINKS, what colour is your S?
Old 03-28-2006, 06:07 AM

i know im prolly gonna get flamed for this but i dont give a shit i like it.. its candy apple red. Everyone say what you must but each to their own i say.

High maintenance paint job though comes up very nice when polished!
Old 03-28-2006, 02:36 PM

BLINKS
its candy apple red.
hectic ive seriously considered spraying my car that colour too

Old 03-28-2006, 02:39 PM

Mate, candy apple red is a very nice colour. I think everyone would admit that it's just that it was a bit over done on the rice scene for a while but who cares

Did you buy it like that? Was it the one in the trading post for a while? I think I heard that the owner was the g/f of the bloke who done that full on show S2000 What sort of condition is it in? Was it a full respray i.e engine out, interior out?

To be honest the first thing my cynical head thought seeing that was "rebirth", sorry
Old 03-28-2006, 05:58 PM

nah its not the candy apple red S2k you are thinking about. the car was orginally red therefore sprayed everything; door jams, boot, underneath the bonnet etc except the engine bay.

hmmmm with the car being the colour that it is, you tend to get alot of attention good and BAD! the stories that i can tell you would amaze you in terms of what some people do, but guess i cant complain, i knew what i was getting into. In a utopian world we could all leave our cars out in the open and nothing would ever happen but hmmm reality sucks dont it!!!

Quick Reply: Damn swirl marks!