Australia & New Zealand S2000 Owners Members from the land downunder.

contesting traffic infringements

Old 05-22-2002, 02:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default contesting traffic infringements

has anyone here on this forum ever gone to court to contest an infringement. i just received my summons to go to court. the problem is mine was a harbour toll issue. my father who is from newcastle went thru the e-toll last year coz he got boxed in or some crap and couldn't get over, anyway he went thru and decided to pay the ensuing toll later. i received the fee $5.50 (extra for admin costs they say) and subsequently paid it (cheque butts and everything). anyway i receive a fine a few months later for $100+stating i haven't paid. i call the police, cuz it's now a police issue and not an rta issue, they tell me to wait a while cuz they're backed up and not to worry about it.
i receive the same infringement in the mail another month later stating the same thing with the same amt due. this time i fax my details with my cheque butt etc stating that it's not my fault that due to bureaucratic bungling, i've got to fork over more money for someone else's fcuk up. (fcuk i'm a busy person i work 80-90 hrs a wk, 7 days, 4 nights) i don't have time to fix up someone elses mistake. i spoke to one lady copper and she said "yeah it happens" wtf.
so anyway i'm gonna "take a day off work", enjoy the sights and sounds of the city, head down to the court house with all the lebanese rapists (a bit harsh i know but i have to vent) and sort this out, a bit sad but i have to clear my conscience and not roll over and let the lethiathan rule over me. it'll probably cost me more on time and staff wages but fcuk, it's the damn principle and when i win i'm gonna ask if i can recoup some costs etc parking, my time, my extra staff, lunch, etc.
Old 05-22-2002, 02:59 AM

You go and kick some but. As long as you don't get an asshole magistrate it sounds like you'll be fine.

Oh, and if you win you should get reimbursed for lost work time.
Old 05-22-2002, 03:29 AM

oh, how do they calculate that and what about parking, it costs a bundle in the city last time i was in there. call me elitist but i've got a poblem with public transport.
Old 05-22-2002, 03:42 AM

I honestly don't know how they calculate it, but I have a friend who contested a speeding ticket and one and was awarded $ for his time.

I guess the judge takes your profession int account has to take your word on how much you make under oath.

I agree public transport sucks you could take a tax invoice from the carpark to court.
Old 05-22-2002, 08:01 PM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

If you have the cheque butt and your statement proving the cheque was cashed then I'd hire a limo with a lap dancer and give that receipt to the magistrate. Good luck!
Old 05-23-2002, 03:53 AM

the cheque was never processed,it left my hands at the mailbox so it's probably in someone public servants in-tray or got lost, all i know is that i wrote the cheque mailed it off so therefore i've done all i can. they didn't even send me a reminder for the $5.50, they just slugged me $118 and said that the $5.50 cheque is probably being processed, so i left it. lazy government working pricks who have no incentive to work harder coz they get paid none-the-less.
Old 05-23-2002, 04:01 AM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally posted by cayenneguy
the cheque was never processed
Oh, I'd hold off on the lap dancer then.

I think when you receive a bill the onus is on you to ensure that the payment is received. I don't think you can just say "hey, I did my bit, now it's your problem". Unless you send it registered mail or get a receipt I don't think it is officially paid.

Perhaps get the lap dance for the magistrate.
Old 05-23-2002, 04:17 AM

yeah but i spoke to them on two separate occasions, 1st time after i received the initial $118 fine, they said to wait coz "it's probably being processed" what should i do, wait on the phone and demand that they process it while i'm waiting.
the second time was when i received my second infringement reminder, this time they said "too bad, either pay it or elect to go to court", either way you look at it, coz they didn't even send me a reminder for the $5.50 toll fee they decide "hey let's squeeze this guy for an infringement under the guise of a traffic offence" if i relent and pay then it's just like letting the govt "take their pound of flesh" and jesus i pay enough in fcuking taxes, i'm not going to bend over for this one.