Australia & New Zealand S2000 Owners Members from the land downunder.

Clutch engagement level issue

Old 01-29-2011, 10:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch engagement level issue

Hey Guys,
Been on holidays for a week to only come back today and find the clutch on my S engaging way later than usual. Initially I though it was nothing and it was just me not having taken my car for a while but as I drove it a few more K's it got worse.

It got to the point of it being very tough to engage first gear from a stop, and the clutch engagement points got no more than 2cm of movement from the bottom. Its like 95% free movement, 5% clutch engagement. I was a little worried I wouldn't make it home as I stalled it twice while trying to get off the lights.

The clutch wouldn't slip once the car was moving, even under load so I don't think its the clutch going on me.

I've done some searching and reading on s2ki and have found that it may be the clutch master cylinder or my clutch fluid that is causing me the grief.

So I've just gone and looked at my clutch fluid reservoir (thank you Honda manual) and its below the minimum level. I've also checked for leaks under the clutch and it didn't look like it was leaking either.

So... question is.. does it sound like I am on the correct path with my limited motor knowledge but mad cat reading skills? should I try and just top up the clutch fluid? or should I just go through the Xviper write up and change all the fluid?? apparently the clutch master cylinder itself might be an issue.

Where do I get the correct clutch fluid for my car? and any Brisbanite willing to help for either a bottle of scotch... or a night on the scotch?
Old 01-29-2011, 11:32 PM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Do a fluid flush. If the problem reoccurs you may need a new mastercylinder but it probably won't.

Damn, I might fly up if we're talking decent scotch!
Old 01-29-2011, 11:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do$tylz, I can give you a hand. No Scotch necessary though Just give me a txt about which day suits. I should be free Mon-Thu this week from about 8/9pm.
Old 01-30-2011, 12:15 AM

I remember when I drove your car for a test drive. Friction point was very low on your OEM, nothing like mine which engages super high.

Process of elimination.

Start with the fluid change.
Failing that, master cylinder.
Failing that, stuffed clutch maybe.

Having said that though, I had a high friction point for 4yrs, never an issue. It even held 420whp during its time.
Old 01-30-2011, 12:39 AM

Actually, sorry mate, scratch this week - this week's a bit tight for me.
Old 01-30-2011, 01:32 AM

I've had similar problems on my other cars and usually turns out to be either the master or slave cylinders
Old 01-30-2011, 01:44 AM

Aus - mmmm.. can't promise good scotch.. but it can be a lot of it But will do the flush.

Mike - thanks man. Wanna help me do oil at the same time?? Dinner at West End mate??

Brad - yeah??.. mate its even lower.. I'm literally talking 2cm from the bottom is where the engagement ends.... Its only started today. All weeks previous its been fine...??

n/a - I'm hoping thats not the problem... then I'll definately have to take it to a shop.
Old 01-30-2011, 01:52 AM

oh.. and where and what clutch fluid do I buy??
Old 01-30-2011, 01:53 AM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

DOT4 is standard, DOT5.1 is preferred but more for the brakes as they see more heat.

Pretty much any decent brand.

Get it at Supercheap, Repco or similar.
Old 01-30-2011, 01:55 AM

awesome. Wasn't sure if I needed some random honda special thing... And its not a lot hey?? as in you don't exactly need litres of it even if you're flushing it out a few times.

Quick Reply: Clutch engagement level issue