Australia & New Zealand S2000 Owners Members from the land downunder.

CF Hood - Illegal?

Old 06-16-2004, 06:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

k2s can your friend get a set of copied GP sport side skirts?
they are called "side skirt" right ?
Old 06-16-2004, 04:19 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by K2S
...puh lease!
Old 06-16-2004, 05:10 PM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I think we have to accept that it is an evolving language and use whatever gets the point across best.

Fact is there are many words and styles we use today that would be considered incorrect by people who were educated three decades ago. Even your pet hate of apostrophes between abbreviations and a plural S was an accepted style only thirty years ago (ref: Eats, Shoots & Leaves by Lynne Trusse).
Old 06-16-2004, 05:17 PM

My guess:

Your friend is mis-informed.

or

There is a rule prohibiting fibreglass bonnets.
There is not yet a rule with regards to carbon fibre bonnets (CF being a newer technology
Old 06-16-2004, 06:03 PM

I have always been lead to believe that CF bonnets/hoods are illegal as they have not been designed to meet ADRs. That is, they do not bend/crumple in the same way as the OEM bonnet which was used for meeting ADRs when compliance was obtained.

Now I have never heard of anyone being defected for a CF bonnet though.

That is as much as I know...whether it is 100% correct or not I am not sure
Old 06-16-2004, 06:48 PM

if you get a cf bonnet and paint it the cops aren't gonna know.

lightweight + no defect...

wil..
Old 06-16-2004, 09:02 PM
K2S

Naishou: Its not that I used the wrong word or spelt it wrong it was just different perhaps i should proof my posts next time but its a small matter so i let it go apologies if i offended you

Anywais back to reality...

9krpm: I have asked my friend, there arent copies of everything I am sure you know but no harm in asking. I think it is side skirt better ask the guru naishou

I think if you paint a CF bonnet it would defeat most of the use since our current bonnet is pretty light anywais.

Plus I have been told Full CF Bonnets are not illegal but those which have fiberglass underlay are. I think the explanation given by Jus-10 sounds reasonable but no one still has concrete info.
Old 06-16-2004, 09:27 PM

Originally posted by AusS2000
I think we have to accept that it is an evolving language and use whatever gets the point across best.
(This is a general comment, not intended to refer to any individual or to any one usage. It certainly doesn't apply to anyone who has posted here, and using 'hood' is about as minor an example as you can come across. It's not wrong or even bad - just a shame)

Hey, I've just been studying linguistics for the last 6 months. I know about evolving languages. My current favourite language (Japanese) has 50% of its vocabulary borrowed from Chinese, and the amount from English is rising every day. The thing that bothers me recently though is that we are losing the uniqueness and diversity in our language. Australian English is becoming a mindless, boring clone of American, which is as inelegent and imprecise a language as exists anywhere. Japanese is still uniquely Japanese, regardless of the foreign influence, and it's still a very logical, subtle and efficient language. I just don't know why Australians don't seem to care about being assymilated into the Borg. I wasn't even born here, and I do. Why is 'anywais' better than the good old Australian 'anyway', which actually makes sense?

When you speak or write to someone, you are trying to share understanding with that person. If your use of language is sloppy, ill considered, unclear and ambiguous, you are not only failing to communicate your point (which doesn't help you), but are making the receiver work hard to extract meaning. That's just rude. People always argue that their sloppy language is not a problem because it gets the point across. I would argue that the reverse is the case. I frequently see writing that I literally can't understand because it has so many malapropisms and ungramatical constructions. Extracting meaning from the mess that many so called native English speakers concoct is hard work! You want to know something else I find interesting (I'm going to tell you anyway). When I ask Japanese people if they often see spelling mistakes, ungramatical constructions and malapropisms in internet posts and elsewhere, they don't know what I'm talking about. Anyone speak any other languages can comment on this?

Even your pet hate of apostrophes between abbreviations and a plural S was an accepted style only thirty years ago (ref: Eats, Shoots & Leaves by Lynne Trusse).
Really? Not by me (or anyone I've ever heard of)
Old 06-16-2004, 10:49 PM

'fraid so!

Have a read of the book. Even though it thorough supports yours and my desire to encourage people to put some more work into the encoding of their message it also shows a history of change that leads you to believe that their is no true English; just good and bad implementations of the current fashions.