Australia & New Zealand S2000 Owners Members from the land downunder.

Can anyone recommend

Old 03-03-2007, 05:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can anyone recommend

With stage 4 water restrictions due to hit us within the next few weeks (possibly April 1st) this means no car washing at all - not even buckets. I'm guessing that commercial car wash businesses will still be operating but for us S2000 owners (with soft tops) the usual high-pressure conveyor-belt type place is not suitable.

I've recently moved from Bulleen (where I had two very good car wash places close to home) - to Elsternwick and I don't yet know all the places in my local area. Can anyone recommend a good hand car wash in the St Kilda Rd, Elwood, Gardenvale areas? That is, probably on Melways map 67 or Melways map 58?
Old 03-03-2007, 06:10 PM

Red - not too sure about that far down (Elsternwick), but the Sth Yarra car wash on Punt Rd, just before commercial Rd is pretty good.

They generally wash cars worth lots of $$'s and no doubt some real picky owners.

That said, most car washes do a good job if your the only one there!

I generally just get them to give it a good wash, then cruise it home to polish and wax myself.
Old 03-03-2007, 06:14 PM

My favorite is really the Magic Hand Car Wash in Hoddle Street, Collingwood.
Old 03-04-2007, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by tak_one_77,Mar 4 2007, 01:10 PM
........... but the Sth Yarra car wash on Punt Rd, just before commercial Rd is pretty good.
Hi tak_one_77, thanks for your response. That Punt Rd one is pretty close to me and I went for a walk today to have a look at it and spoke to the guys who operate it.

Unfortunately, even though the words "hand wash" are on the sign over the exit, it is a conveyor-belt through high-pressure sprays system. They say that they have done other soft top cars before with no problems - but I don't want to try mine through it.

I'm looking for one where a human being aims & controls the spray and he knows not to squirt the hood & side windows with high-pressure. IE a real hand wash place.
Old 03-04-2007, 05:56 PM
Banned

we had guys in work not flushing the toilet and leaving turds in the bowl.......mind you without toiletpaper too?!?!? not sure how they are managing it they are either not wiping up or collecting the toilet paper and flushing it in the toilet next door.....

the joke around the office is that its happening due to water restrictions and trying to save water hahaha the culprit has not been caught yet!

on a more serious note - why not just go down to the local do it yourself car wash, wet the car first, then use $2 high pressure soap, go over the car as many times as possible, spray the roof too, then do $2 high pressure water rinse. Bring your chamois, give that a blast with the high pressure water then chamois it dry. Cleans up the car really good without having to use the dreaded soap brush which scratches your paint up!
Old 03-04-2007, 07:59 PM

Hey RR.

I used to take mine there all the time, however I don't anymore as I take it to one in Blackburn.

Yeah the hand part is simply the washing part as it passes after the spray and the rub down (drying)

In which case I know of no car wash that does a full hand job.

Sorry mate.
Old 03-04-2007, 08:44 PM

There is one called the Works Cafe car wash on High St in Prahran (before Chapel street on the left coming from St Kilda Road) - I haven't used them for a while, the main reason being that a few days after the last time they washed my car I discovered a few shallow but visible dents on the top of the front quarter panel, most likely as a result of some overzealous rubbing/polishing. Not sure whether that is enough to deter you - could just be my luck that day.

There is another one at the Jam Factory car park entrance (not sure about the name) - they do a reasonable job, plus parking there becomes free.

Neither of these uses the conveyer-belt system.

I use the one on Punt Rd most often, and water leaks haven't been a major problem (that is, usually a few drops of water on the seats). I must say that between a bit of leak and the possiblity of my car being damaged by some clumsy handling, I will choose the former every time.
Old 03-05-2007, 02:23 AM

I like to sit there and watch as some dude gets his Sl65 or 911 turbo washed.

At least I know no-one is going to steal mine while its getting finished.

Always a good view.