Australia & New Zealand S2000 Owners Members from the land downunder.

Caliper paint

Old 05-22-2006, 03:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Caliper paint

I'm thinking the calipers are looking a little plain. Black or silver would compliment the Silverstone and my DBA slotted rotors.

I'd prefer not to have to remove the caliper from the brake line so an actual paint as opposed to a spray paint would be better.

I know my rotors have exceeded 620 degrees celcius (because the heat sensitive paint strips have all changed colour), so the paint would need to have a rating well in excess of this.

Any suggestions on brands? What about cleaning pre painting - do I need to use something besides soap and water?

Cheers, Ro.
Old 05-22-2006, 04:20 AM

hey RO323
i painted my calipers about 2 months ago , with some advice from blk2000

the results were pretty good for a DIY .
I removed the wheel and used an old tooth brush and some metholated spirits to clean the calipers, rinsed with cold water and was ready for painting . Got a can of brake caliper paint from an Auto store and went for it .
i pretty much taped up all surrounding parts and and just sprayed in light coats until i covered the entire caliper .

after about an 1hr , i removed all the tape . and they looked pretty good . Best not to drive the car for about a day , just to make sure you dont crack the paint .

I cant find the can so i cant tell you what tempretures they are good for but for normal road use , i cant see it being a problem , i painted before a recent drive day and did some heavy braking that day witho any effect on the caliper paint, knock on wood , mine havent cracked or chippd yet . I got some photo's but recently put on my 18's back on and you cant really see the calipers. Hope this info helps .

Old 05-22-2006, 05:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Easy...don't bother with all that fancy high temp paint ......and spraying!!...go to your local hardware store and get an $18 can of Pot Belly Black stove paint and a couple of $2 throw-away brushes....jack each corner up, remove wheel, maybe a quick brush of the caliper with a bit of turps, brush the Pot Belly paint on your calipers, by the time you finish the first coat it will be dry enough to whack on the second but doesnt really need one....use the opportunity for cleaning the rear of removed wheel and under guard, replace wheel and go to next corner.

Cost me probably $25 and the link below with my pics is 3 years old....and they still look the same as in the pics from the link.
My caliper paint-June '03

Too bad if you didn't want black/dark grey calipers...but looks a treat.
Old 05-22-2006, 01:39 PM

Thanks guys.

Vuey, my car doesn't just get used on the street and all the sprays I saw at Autobarn have a max rating of 1200 F (about 650 celcius) which is not enough. I don't want them to look worse than when I started (although that would probably be hard!) because they're peeling at the track. And my your alloys are shiny.

Stanley, they look pretty good. Is that really paint for a stove? Hmmm, I guess that would be able to cope with the temps required.

By the way, after my last track day the centre part of the front wheels and centre most part of the spokes have discoloured a little - they're looking more yellow. Has anyone else encounted this?
Old 05-22-2006, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by RO323,May 23 2006, 07:39 AM
Stanley, they look pretty good. Is that really paint for a stove? Hmmm, I guess that would be able to cope with the temps required.
RO323.....full name of the paint is White Knight's Pot Belly Black self priming heat resistant paint (300c-570f)..available at all hardware stores and I swear by it for our open fireplace grates..sure gets hot around there!

Have been expecting someone on the board here from Sydney to chime in and tell me I don't drive the thing fast enough (on a cruise) to see how heat resistant it is
Old 05-22-2006, 02:39 PM

I justed used VHT caliper paint.. I sprayed mine silver for a clean look.. But i had a look at Stanley's link and i must say his calipers look hot as!! Nice finish!
Old 05-22-2006, 02:46 PM

Thanks db..and no masking tape and messing around with spray paint...and 3 years later still looks the same.
Old 05-22-2006, 02:56 PM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I got my paint and decals from Decalgirl.com.

I just checked the site and the paint is no longer listed but they still have the decals:

http://www.decalgirl.com/browse.cfm/4,224.htm

This the paint I used:

http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/g2/caliper_paint.jsp
Old 05-22-2006, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by AusS2000,May 23 2006, 08:56 AM
I got my paint and decals from Decalgirl.com.
Ricer !

Old 05-22-2006, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by RO323,May 23 2006, 07:39 AM
Thanks guys.

Vuey, my car doesn't just get used on the street and all the sprays I saw at Autobarn have a max rating of 1200 F (about 650 celcius) which is not enough. I don't want them to look worse than when I started (although that would probably be hard!) because they're peeling at the track. And my your alloys are shiny.
thats cool mate ...

yeah , last thing you want is for them to peel

it would look really nice with the red calipers on the silver S . thats just opinion .

However the "pot black" option is nice too but im a ricer , so its gotta be bright red !

Quick Reply: Caliper paint