Australia & New Zealand S2000 Owners Members from the land downunder.

Cable or ADSL broadband?

Old 02-15-2003, 05:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cable or ADSL broadband?

Hi team,

Since there are so many IT guru among us

Could someone enlighten and make recommendation on this topic?

FYI I live near city and have access to both. I had an old cable port from ex-foxtel use. Which one is faster and cheaper in the long term?
Old 02-15-2003, 02:09 PM

I have BigPond ADSL.... but I'd say Cable would be faster and cheaper in the long run; as a 'standard' Cable connection is generally faster+cheaper than the 'basic' ADSL (512kb download + 128kb upload).

But the ADSL speed is pretty consistant (60-80 K/sec); as you have your own 'copper' line going to the exchange.... where as Cable is shared amongst those in your street (so if lots of people are online, speeds will drop temporarily), making it less constant.

It would help, if you mention what amount of downloading you evisage doing - 1, 3, 5, 10, >10 Gb / month; as this will alter greatly what sort of package you get?

I assume you've checked out Telstra (and other's) broadband pages - http://www.bigpond.com/broadband/default.asp - .... I believe there is a little set of questions, that will help/advise you pick between the 2 options?!
Old 02-15-2003, 02:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just a quickie here and i'm no IT guru but i have cable at $69 P/M for a 3Gig download...more then enough....initial startup expense was $199 for the modem....fantastic and couldn't go back to dialup.....and friends down the road have got ADSL as they were told as they live down a 'right of way' there was no cable access...they pay the same as me and they aren't really saisfied with the speed..
I did my sums and with the 100 free local calls thrown in with the deal on the main line (if you use the same company for local and long distance) and not having to dial up approx 4 times a day, i worked out cable is costing me around $5 a month more then dialup...
go for cable..there are deals out there and sure seems to beat ADSL
Old 02-15-2003, 02:24 PM

ADSL= Asymetrical Digital Sub Line in the USA it tops off at 1.5 Megs if you live within serviceable area.

Docsis= Data over cable service integration system usually starts at 2 Megs or more for as low as $41.95 a month. Can not be that price.

Cable currently beats DSL in the migration to a broadband world.
In price and speed.

I have a 4 meg download pipe and 2 meg pipe but there is really nothing on the world wide web that can fully utilize this type of bandwidth. If I am downloading 4 Megs a second than the site I got to need to be uploading at 4 megs a second as well. So far I have not been able to find a bandwidth intensive site.

Tan
Old 02-15-2003, 03:19 PM

Stanley which company are you with?
$69 for 3gb download is an excellent deal
Old 02-15-2003, 03:46 PM

Hi honda9krpm,
On Optusnet.....$69.95 per month to be exact....3 gig download limit...i use maybe half of that and the deal below that..'the starter' (lite) only has a 550mb download..(about $54 P/M)..was too low....at least 3 gigs gives me plenty of scope and if you exceed the limit it just slows down to dialup modem speed so you don't get hit for any 'over limit' fees.....
Like i said, i did my homework and you can do a deal and get those free 100 local calls ......
Ps...just remembered., the standard 3 gig is $79.95 if you don't go with them for your local phone calls
Good luck
http://www.broadbandchoice.com.au/isp-info.cfm?id=3
Old 02-15-2003, 03:55 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Stanley
[B]Hi honda9krpm,
Old 02-15-2003, 04:15 PM

3 gig download capacity......all those movie clips and photos add up...and streaming radio and video counts as well....but online games are the capacity killer i believe...i don't play them but i believe they really chew up the capacity....
Old 02-15-2003, 05:07 PM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I have 2M/2M SHDSL and Optus Cable at home.

I notice the cable fluctuates and can be quite erratic whilst the DSL is extrememly consistent.

My advice is that if you're paying go cable. If work is paying and reliable access is critical go DSL.
Old 02-15-2003, 05:37 PM
Muz
Former Sponsor

Tel$tra 5Gb plan, unlimited both ways. Speed and reliability is good probably 95% of the time. Not fussed at the price though at $150 / month but definitely cheaper than exceeding the 3Gb limit by a Gb or so.

I use BPA Usage, a handy client-side usage meter to manage and forecast my bandwidth usage.

http://users.bigpond.net.au/plasma/index.html

Quick Reply: Cable or ADSL broadband?