Australia & New Zealand S2000 Owners Members from the land downunder.

Bucking

Old 08-30-2001 | 08:33 PM

I join with the letting the clutch fully out without enough revs crowd. Mine bucks every once in a while in traffic and it's always for this reason. Had the same thing happen with my '88 Accord Coupe. Just clutch and bring the revs up, you and the care will be fine.
Old 08-30-2001 | 09:42 PM
Col

Absolutely not. That is a very different feel. Under this circumstance the car starts quite nicely then feels like it hits a "hole", then picks up then hits the "hole" again, and so on.

In my example of accelerating away from the toll booths I have plenty of throttle and it is just like hitting a series of "rev limiters" before it eventually clears either by declutching or it just accelerates (hops) to a point where it clears.

as I said my initial thoughts when it first occured for me was that the bumps in the road were bouncing my foot on the throttle but closer attention has proved that the "hops" don't necessarily coincide with the road bumps.

Unfortunately I don't accept that this is a result of owning a highly tuned car - that's why I paid a small fortune to get a car that not only performed but did it without hic-up. I am not going to try the percussive technique on the MAP yet as I want the Dealer to have their chance of finding the problem.
Old 08-30-2001 | 10:07 PM

Mine definitely does it.

It is at it's worst in summer in multi-storey car parks.
I attribute it to the ECU following some sort of a sequence in it's search for the correct mapping. I don't think it's a fault.

I usually get this when I am queued in traffic in first gear moving along slowly, then back off the accellerator for a bit before depressing the clutch and coming to a stop. At this point I notice the idle drops below 1k and then the thing seems to remap and recover.

Then, if you then attempt a smooth takeoff, it lags, then gets its act together...resulting in this bucking behaviour.

Notice how Col gets the problem accellerating away from a toll booth that he has just decellerated into? A pattern is emerging here.
Old 08-30-2001 | 11:16 PM

Originally posted by bmoyes
Notice how Col gets the problem accellerating away from a toll booth that he has just decellerated into? A pattern is emerging here.
I can't agree with you there. Mine S2k will experience this trait under a multitude of conditions including having sat in stop/start traffic or waiting for the lights. Let's face it in any situation where you are accelerating from a stop, other than first starting off after you start the engine, you must have previously decelerated.

I have also had situations where the vehicle has bucked in stop/start traffic, it has gone away and I have driven forward 10 metres, stopped, only to have it happen again upon accelerating.
Old 09-01-2001 | 04:21 AM

Buked on me 2nd day, think it has a a bit to do with not commiting to the clutch on upshift particulary 1st gear ..
Old 09-15-2001 | 04:20 AM
Col

Murphy struck again. As soon as I started this thread it all stopped and behaved perfectly. Of course the service people found nothing but there were some settings stored in the ECU but they said they weren't relevent and "forgot" to note them before resetting it. Since then nothing, if this continues I'm happy.
Old 09-15-2001 | 02:58 PM
Muz
Former Sponsor

Dirty fuel?