Australia & New Zealand S2000 Owners Members from the land downunder.

Bombs in Bali

Old 10-14-2002, 06:30 PM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I'd prefer 3 that know what they are doing.
Old 10-14-2002, 06:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what ever you heard from this side of the world often different.....
I have to agree with this statement. I have very little respect for western media. Information os often grossly exagerrated and quoted out of context. Furthermore media are quick to jump to conclusions and report versions of events that are purely based on speculation.

Note: I'm not saying casualties are exaggerated in this attack.
Old 10-14-2002, 06:40 PM

I agree. I have very little respect for western media. You'll notice that this post was started to cover some of the errors in the early reports.

That said, DC2 does have a habit of jumping in and say 'WRONG' without backing it up. I'd very much like to know the other side of the story, but at this point it's not very forthcoming. Perhaps DC2 is currently composing a post of the other worlds view to share with us.
Old 10-14-2002, 06:42 PM

I am sure I speak for many when I express my regrets and concern for our good friends in Australia. We really do feel your pain.

God Bless
Old 10-14-2002, 07:02 PM

I hope you guys don't mind if I post in your forum. You may be interested in an American's first hand impressions about the Bali bombings rather than what the media has to offer.

First, let me say that the posts here are very impressive! Your insights and most of all, your personal interest and desire to be informed are to be applauded.

The heart wrenching event of September 11, 2001, is something that Americans want desperately to put behind them, yet at the same time never want to forget. We are a little more than a year after that horrible day and for most the horror had faded. It was easy to go through the day without even thinking about 9-11. It was as though we the public could ignore the threat to our everyday life without consequence. Life for most had returned to normal, until the news of the Bali bombings.

Suddenly the threat became real again. Bali of all places! Paradise lost, even though no Americans were killed (that I know of). I've talked with quite a few people here about their reaction to this. All of them have been shocked and horrified that so many Australians lost their lives there. "What has Australia ever done to deserve this?" is a question asked by several.

Perhaps the answer is that Australia supports the US in their position against Iraq. Perhaps its because Australia is a dominant democracy in a hemisphere full of Muslims. Perhaps....well, we don't know why.

But, there is something that Australians need to know about the US. We are committed to defending as well as advancing democracy in the world. If Australia were in the United States' place on September 11, you can be assured that we would have offered your country all of our resources to put an end to the threat to your freedom and beliefs. As we have stood in defense of Israel, the only democracy in the middle east, stepped in stride with Great Britain, one of the last true democracies in Europe not tainted by communism, we will stand with you.

Thanks guys.

And stop watching so much CNN!
Old 10-14-2002, 07:03 PM

A friend of ours flew to Bali to assist the hotels and tourists. This morning he sent me a series of photos but this one strikes me the most.

Anyone who knows the Balinese knows that it would take our best cosmetic surgeons several hours just to take the smile off their faces. They are one of the most joyful people regardless of oppression and poverty. There is not one smile in this photo.
Old 10-14-2002, 07:18 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by dhess
[B]
Old 10-14-2002, 07:24 PM

I agree that media distorts the truth everywhere, particularly in countries with dictatorships.

But, I must say that from my experience media in Asian and Eastern European countries is no where near as guilt of exaggeration as western media.
Old 10-14-2002, 07:27 PM

MyBad - actually I think one American died in the blast. There's like 20+ Brits that were killed. There are casualities form a dozen countries. But thanks for your support

I agree that the Western Media is always biased to one side or the other. As they say "THere's no news like bad news".
Old 10-14-2002, 07:53 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by MyBad
[B]I hope you guys don't mind if I post in your forum. You may be interested in an American's first hand impressions about the Bali bombings rather than what the media has to offer.

First, let me say that the posts here are very impressive! Your insights and most of all, your personal interest and desire to be informed are to be applauded.

Quick Reply: Bombs in Bali