Australia & New Zealand S2000 Owners Members from the land downunder.

Bombs in Bali

Old 10-13-2002, 07:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by EG6SiR

That's a strong statement; I suppose we should never underestimate the stupidity of a mob mentality (gang rapes and the like but obviously this is to the n-th degree).

Ok, I'll admit to being uninformed here but what exactly is the state of affairs there? Does Arafat still have control over the Palestinian ppl as an entity or do the extremist sects like Jihad Islam no longer recognise him as their leader? Other than to not be bombed and attacked in their own homes, what does Arafat want from Israel? For them to acknowledge a Palestinian state? What does Israel want from the Palestinian ppl? (Other than to stop being bomed in their own homes -- sounding like broken record)
I do not want to dig deep into this topic as it is political and highly controversal. But what I mean by the above statement is that people like Hamas and Islamic Jihad have openly stated that they will not stop killing until all the Jews are in the Mediterranean sea. They also frequently announce to their congregations that any Jew or American is a legitimate target in achieveing their goal.

I mean for god's sake how can we forget all the airplane hijackings, all the abductions?

As you refer to the "mob", it is not a majority. Look at Jordan. They've been at peace with Israel for many years. Fine, they don't like each other, but who the hell cares? Jordan is becoming wealthier and more modern by the day. They have a Monarchy, not fundamentalism. They don't have the mob bloodthirst that many other countries in that region have.

Did no one see the celebrations throughout the region on Sep-12th? That kind of bloodthirst is sick! How can anyone justify killing people? 3000+ people Sep-11. I think the toll over the last 2 years from the Israel-Palestinian conflict is over 1000 civilians. Another 200+ in Bali. How many more have to die before peope recognise TERRORISM as a problem?

the Iraq issue may be over oil for the most part, but lets not forget that Saddam pays Us$25,000 to anyone who blows himself up along with a few dozen Jews.

I am not saying we should go and kill all the Muslims! Definetly not. But the Muslim countries like Indonesia, etc have to become more proactive in ridding themselves of terrorists. Terrorists do not just hang in the air. They are harboured in countries, protected sometimes, trained. They seem to always have money etc.

At the recent Council of Muslim Nations (50+ countries I think it was), they chose not to label Suicide Bombs in Israel as TERRORISM. Now I don't care who's side you are on. Blowing up a nightclub is NOT FREEDOM FIGHTING!!!!!!!!
Old 10-13-2002, 07:43 PM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Wow, page 2 and we've all kept it nice and civilised regardless of differing opinions. Thanks guys!

I guess that's what you get when you realise we are all on the same side.
Old 10-13-2002, 08:01 PM

Originally posted by AusS2000
Wow, page 2 and we've all kept it nice and civilised regardless of differing opinions. Thanks guys!

I guess that's what you get when you realise we are all on the same side.
No Aus, you're wrong and I am right!!!!

Nah seriously, I totally agree with you. I think we still have expressed different opinions and not always on the same side as such, but it has all been very civil! Let's keep it that way.
Old 10-13-2002, 09:11 PM

Thats only because I have not become involved yet.

Seriously, this has been a valuable post and I have followed it from the begining.
It's good to see that i am sharing this board with intelligent, level headed individuals.

Have there been any updates on the bombing?
Old 10-13-2002, 09:14 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by dhess
[B]
Old 10-13-2002, 09:18 PM

I already have colleagues with friends missing in the blast.
Thats pretty fvcked.

It sounds like the majority of the casualties are going to be Australian.
I heard that those clubs were frequented mainly by Australians.
What do you guys think?
Old 10-13-2002, 09:29 PM

Buffy's current job is tracking down people who were holidaying there at the time and putting a mark beside their name. Not much fun.

And yes, the absolute majority of the victims will be Australian. Don't be surprised when the number of Australian deaths reaches 150.

Me at the Sari club last year:
Old 10-13-2002, 09:30 PM

dhess i was in bali 5 weeks ago and i went to those clubs, im sure anyone who has been there will agree that more than 70% of the people in those clubs are Australian. Very sad indeed.
We must not forget about the locals either.
Old 10-13-2002, 09:35 PM

Indonesia is a Muslim country, but Bali is 85% Hindu and very different in culture to much of Indo. This was a terrible strike primarily targeted at Australians, but we also have to consider the damage to the locals. Not only have hundreds of businesses been destroyed, but Bali's entire tourism industry (it's main industry) will be severely damaged by this act. What it will do to the local economy will be horrendous. Buffy has processed hundreds of cancellations so far today (and surprisingly 4 bookings).
Old 10-13-2002, 09:54 PM

Me at the Sari club last year:
What on earth is that thing you're drinking? Its huge.

And yes, the absolute majority of the victims will be Australian. Don't be surprised when the number of Australian deaths reaches 150.
Thats what I thought.

Indonesia is a Muslim country, but Bali is 85% Hindu and very different in culture to much of Indo.
Thats what I thought from day one. It proves beyond doubt that tourists were the target and eliminates any chance of the attack being motivated by Indonesia's internal politics.

Yep the local economy will be destroyed. It will plunge Bali back into the stone age. I feel sorry for the locals. I heard that something like 30,000 Australians alone visit Bali during the holiday season.

Quick Reply: Bombs in Bali