Australia & New Zealand S2000 Owners Members from the land downunder.

Bombs in Bali

Old 10-13-2002, 01:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by AusS2000

Ahh, the ostrich 'head in the sand' approach. All I can really say to that is 'Too late!'.

Dead right - it is too late and is a perfect example of what happens meddling in things that don't concern us. Wait till Australian tourists start being kidnapped and having their heads chopped off.

Interestingly enough, leaving others alone doesn't seem to have hurt Switzerland
Old 10-13-2002, 02:17 PM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally posted by Muz
The thing that amazes me is that when Howard or Downer are asked about terrorism and security in Australia they go into these simpering pathetic whines like 'any Australian who thinks they are immune from terrorism is fooling themselves' etc etc etc.
Yeah, Bush for Prime Minister!

It's been just over 24 hours since the attacks happened on foreign soil. So far Downer and Howard are expressing sympathy for victims, friends and relatives, and organising evacuation by RAAF aircraft. Howard is pressuring the Indonesian Government for results. I really don't think you can Liberal bash on this one yet.

What do you expect? Johnny to get out his guns and start making idle threats without any information?
Old 10-13-2002, 02:34 PM
Muz
Former Sponsor

[QUOTE]Originally posted by AusS2000
[B]

Yeah, Bush for Prime Minister!

It's been just over 24 hours since the attacks happened on foreign soil. So far Downer and Howard are expressing sympathy for victims, friends and relatives, and organising evacuation by RAAF aircraft. Howard is pressuring the Indonesian Government for results. I really don't think you can Liberal bash on this one yet.
Old 10-13-2002, 03:26 PM

Well, let's just start digging an awful lot more spare plots in our graveyards then. We're going to need them if Australia actually believes it wants to declare war on muslim fundamentalism
Old 10-13-2002, 03:38 PM

Originally posted by Bernie

Dead right - it is too late and is a perfect example of what happens meddling in things that don't concern us. Wait till Australian tourists start being kidnapped and having their heads chopped off.

Interestingly enough, leaving others alone doesn't seem to have hurt Switzerland
I am probably going to get flamed for this but what the hell, I need to make a point:

If people did not sit back and watch in 1939 may be 6 million Jews would not have been killed (as well as millions of gays and other minorities). So much for the ostrich approach.
Old 10-13-2002, 03:46 PM

I agree Bernie.....
Very obvious these attacks were aimed at Australians and as far as im concerend Mr fricken howard is to blame ....dont want to ruffle any feathers, just my opinion....i was horrified when i learnt about this and still am.
Old 10-13-2002, 03:51 PM
Muz
Former Sponsor

Bernie... I understand your point on neutrality but I just don't know if we could ever really be neutral (even we wanted to) given the historical events of the past 60 or so years.

It does sound ideal but I think Switzerland had an entirely different set of circumstances that helped them to remain neutral during WWII (and possibly since).

To name but a few, protection of suspect bank accounts, a well trained, armed and protected civilian populace and no major political or military targets. Number one would have been a BIG disincentive for an attack on Switzerland.

It will be interesting to see how the concept of neutrality affects the thinking of terrorists. Being neutral may protect you in your own country but what about the rest of the world? I wonder if there were any Swiss tourists in those nightclubs?

I'm not advocating war (I'm against it) and would definitely rather not think in terms of religious wars. I'm merely saying that the perpetrators, who you could consider criminals (regardless of religion), can't be let off scott free.
Old 10-13-2002, 03:51 PM

The statement I heard from Howard this morning said we will react strongly, but not rashly with guns blazing.

The problem at the moment is that the enemy is unknown and cowardly. You can't counter that with a beefed up defence force. Unfortunately the only way to reduce this sort of terrorism is to reduce civil liberties. I'm sure Muz will agree that's too high a price.
Old 10-13-2002, 03:54 PM

Originally posted by goul
Very obvious these attacks were aimed at Australians and as far as im concerend Mr fricken howard is to blame
Really! You seriously think that if someone else were in power it wouldn't have happened? Or are you just projecting a political bias on an unfortunate situation to justify your own beliefs?
Old 10-13-2002, 04:11 PM

Aus any government that may have responded like the Howard governemnt has over this whole terrorism thing is to blame as far as im concerned. His approach is wrong!!!!

Quick Reply: Bombs in Bali