Australia & New Zealand S2000 Owners Members from the land downunder.

Bombs in Bali

Old 10-17-2002, 04:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Iggy_Type_R

Sounds like you have nothing valuable to add... If you have any comments on proactive vs reactive actions please comment, but don't make assumptions on people's point of view (especially when they are totally wrong!).
Didn't mean to ruffle any feathers with my comment; I said "Sounds like you're a Bush supporter" because in a previous post, you were advocating a proactive approach for gov't. Bush is proactive. So I alluded that you sound like a Bush supporter -- you must be able to see where I'm coming from?

If you don't support Bush, then sorry to have upset you. I personally don't think much of him as person but his proactive role in dealing with Saddam Hussein may prevent further loss of life from Saddam's weapons of mass destruction (ugh, same old banter but I suppose it's relevant). I'm definitely not one for war or killing but if Bush's army goes in and finds nukes in Iraq (I suppose ppl can say they planted them to frame Saddam) then it might justify the strike. (OTOH many ppl feel weapons of mass destruction are merely bargaining tools -- no one wins by using them but you win by having them; Strategy 101. Ofcourse Saddam has used his chemical weapons on the Kurds to the north.)

I'm trying to see here where I upset you. In your post you advocate a proactive gov't. Bush's "regime" is proactive. I merely wanted to see what your comments (and comments of others) were on that.

Cheers
Old 10-17-2002, 05:09 PM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally posted by EG6SiR
I'm trying to see here where I upset you. In your post you advocate a proactive gov't. Bush's "regime" is proactive. I merely wanted to see what your comments (and comments of others) were on that.
Both Iggy and Bush enjoy a good BBQ too. Doesn't mean they eat together.
Old 10-17-2002, 06:10 PM

Originally posted by EG6SiR

Cheers
You didn't really upset me. Your comment was not really expanding on anything except just labelling me as a Bush supporter. Actually I do NOT think he is proactive. If he was perhaps Sep-11 would not have happened.

I think one of the few govts that are proactive is teh Israeli government. They know the top level terrorists, and they take them out. Example of this was one of the top terrorists in the Al Aqsa (sp?) Brigade got hishead blown off by a small explosion from the handset of a public phone he was using. Now we know for sure that he will not kill any more people.
Of course not all assasinations go without "colatteral damage". As was publicly advertised a few months ago when 15 people, many children, died in a missle that took out a high ranking terrorist in Gaza. Which of course, I do not support.

I would love to agree with Naishou in saying that any killing is bad. Well... it is, but sometimes I just don't see another way. If a person has killed HUNDERDS of people before and has promised to kill as many as he can before dying, I just don't see a way out of this.

Am I endorsing assasinations? Hmmm ... perhaps. I am not 100% sure. A government must have good evidence to suggest so. If Osama was proven to have killed people before Sep-11 (which I think he was, being on the most wanted list!), I would support a bullet to the head form a sniper or something.

In a utopian world, we coudl just sit down and talk about it. But in THIS world, that aint gonna happen. Shame really!

Anyway, this is what I mean proactive vs reactive.

I would much prefer for Osama to have been CAPTURED rather than assasinated, but c'mon... lets be realistic here.

Just an afterthought on the above post: I see the faults with my argument there. But at the same time I see faults with what is being done (or not done) now.

So for now I will just concentrate on and take a break from all this political $hit.
Old 10-17-2002, 07:56 PM
Muz
Former Sponsor

Covert operations against terrorist groups might be one good method. Deal with them quietly out of the spotlight of public opinion. For all we know it may already be happening. I doubt the press gets to hear everything.

Now that North Korea have admitted to being naughty boys has the worm turned yet again?
Old 10-17-2002, 08:21 PM

Originally posted by AusS2000
Please let's not turn this into a religious argument. From person A's point of view their religion is always the better one, regardless of to which they subscribe.

I don't have a problem with anyone practicing any religion, so long as it doesn't harm others. I can't off hand think of one formal organised religion that hasn't been guilty of that in it's history.

Let he who is without guilt cast the first stone.

I finally got back from the land of the Long White Cloud - and it's well named!

The Buddhists are generally pretty docile for a religion
Old 10-17-2002, 11:34 PM

Originally posted by Iggy_Type_R

You didn't really upset me. Your comment was not really expanding on anything except just labelling me as a Bush supporter. Actually I do NOT think he is proactive. If he was perhaps Sep-11 would not have happened.

So for now I will just concentrate on and take a break from all this political $hit.
Sorry, I was trying to draw opinions on Bush's stance towards Iraq. I suppose a better post (less ambiguous and hostile) by me could've been "Do you think Bush's stance towards Iraq is proactive?"

I have to disagree on the opinion that Bush isn't proactive. I don't doubt that was the case prior to Sept 11th, but we must remember he only came into office some months before. I feel that as a consequence of Sept 11th, Bush has become more proactive and he isn't waiting for the "evidence that may come in the form of a mushroom cloud" or something like that. I think what is questionable about Bush is not his desire for prevention but what it is that constitutes proof of a nuclear threat.

But there are many other qualities I dislike about Bush (e.g. winning the American presidency on name recognition?) so although I can see his point about wanting to terminate Saddam, I can't say I'm a Bush supporter. I suppose we're agreeing -- if Bush's attack of Iraq prevents nuclear war, then I'm all for it. Remove the dictator to save the masses. Too bad there's no way we can see the outcome until it has passed.

Anyway, I agree, too much political debate. I feel like I'm getting an education here though!
Old 10-21-2002, 05:42 PM
CKY

Originally posted by naishou
I'm not saying I'm agreeing with them but to imagine anyone would do such a thing for "no reason" or that they are doing it just because the victims are non-muslim is ludicrous.
Regardless of reason
The action of all terrorist events...recent and past...are unjustified and immoral...not to mention spineless
Many of you have expressed your opinions on this subject....all valid
I was involved in the medical retrival of some of our fellow Australian's last Sun thru to Tues.. I don't think I will ever forget the devistation it has caused and is still causing to many people. Let alone that smell of burnt flesh that I seem to have permanently etched into my olfactory senses.
I'm sure I speak for everyone here when I say my heart is with all those involved and affected in any way..directly or indirectly.
Something that has dawned on me in recent times is the fact that I would not think twice about killing another human being, if that person/s threatened the lives of my family/friends/fellow Australian's. I am concerned, as i'm sure we all are, that these branches of terror live among us. We all need to keep our eyes and minds open to the surroundings without living in fear or holding prejudice to our muslim brothers.
Old 10-22-2002, 02:44 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by CKY
[B]

Something that has dawned on me in recent times is the fact that I would not think twice about killing another human being, if that person/s threatened the lives of my family/friends/fellow Australian's.