Australia & New Zealand S2000 Owners Members from the land downunder.

Bombs in Bali

Old 10-15-2002, 02:22 PM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

After the Dutch (whoops, should read Portugese) left East Timor the Indonesians walked in. The East Timoreses had been seeking independence ever since. When the East Timoreses voted overwhelmingly for independence pro-Indonesia militia cracked down on East Timorese resistance and democratic leaders committing many atrocities. A UN force consisting mainly of Australian troops went to East Timor and removed the militia and helped set up indepenedent East Timor. East Timor became the worlds newest Nation earlier this year and even has a seat on the UN.
Old 10-15-2002, 02:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Bernie

Is this worthy of a response or should I treat it the way it deserves?
I knew that the civilised conversation would be broken by someone.... *sigh* It was going so well.
Old 10-15-2002, 02:38 PM

Originally posted by AusS2000
After the Dutch left East Timor the Indonesians walked in. The East Timoreses had been seeking independence ever since. When the East Timoreses voted overwhelmingly for independence pro-Indonesia militia cracked down on East Timorese resistance and democratic leaders committing many atrocities. A UN force consisting mainly of Australian troops went to East Timor and removed the militia and helped set up indepenedent East Timor. East Timor became the worlds newest Nation earlier this year and even has a seat on the UN.
Good for Australia!

You guys down under have a sound-of-mind leader, it seems:

"This idea that you purchase immunity from terror by saying nothing is morally bankrupt" --Howard

Another .
Old 10-15-2002, 02:41 PM

Originally posted by MyBad
Bernie,

I'm sorry to say that I'm not aware of the East Timor situation. Brief me, please.
A major international incident unreported in the US! This is concerning (but probably expected)

Don't blame you MyBad, but rather the usual insular US media
Old 10-15-2002, 03:25 PM

Originally posted by wdavis
Must be hard to walk without a backbone.
I don't agree with Bernie, but I would say that IMHO he is 'wrong' rather than a 'coward'. There seems to be a very dangerous ideal coming from the US that everything is either brave or cowardly. I think we prefer to think of things as 'right' and 'wrong'.

Me thinks you have seen one too many John Wayne movies.
Old 10-15-2002, 04:18 PM

I dont think Ducth left Timor East just like that. Indonesia had to fight for it, they sacrifice a lot of ppl to fight and free that Island and they had never been treated bad, they were treated as good and as bad as other province and it was one of Indonesian 27 province.
Old 10-15-2002, 04:23 PM

Apart from the massacres. I don't think the East Timorese considered it particularly 'free'. Now it's free.
Old 10-15-2002, 04:26 PM

Originally posted by AusS2000

I don't agree with Bernie, but I would say that IMHO he is 'wrong' rather than a 'coward'. There seems to be a very dangerous ideal coming from the US that everything is either brave or cowardly. I think we prefer to think of things as 'right' and 'wrong'.

Me thinks you have seen one too many John Wayne movies.
If you ask me, the difference between right and wrong goes without saying... and how one deals with going about righting some wrongs is what makes one brave or a coward.
Old 10-15-2002, 04:40 PM

I don't think bravery has much positive correlation with either success or intelligence. Bravery is the same "virtue" that allows the suicide bombers to do their work. I'd rather be described as "rational" than "brave". The Americans won't know what I'm talking about but remember Sir Humphrey? "That would be a very courageous decision Prime Minister".
Old 10-15-2002, 04:40 PM

Originally posted by SteveUCI
how one deals with going about righting some wrongs is what makes one brave or a coward.
Yes, but whether or not a particular 'brave' reaction is right or wrong is something some people seem to overlook.

I mean, all these suicide bombers are pretty brave, but they are also wrong.

Quick Reply: Bombs in Bali