Australia & New Zealand S2000 Owners Members from the land downunder.

Bombs in Bali

Old 10-14-2002, 11:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Bernie

That is my point exactly - it's an Australian site. The Americans barely know or care about it
I had lunch with a coworker today -- she didn't know anything about Bali beyond that there was a bombing. I had to verbally slap her for not keeping up on the very serious situations developing lately. Personally, (and I'll blame it on our media), I at first thought Bali was a small city in India (never really heard about it before), and I thought that it was some crazy wacko going nuts with a bomb. That's what I gathered from the headline(s). I didn't even bother to read the article(s) because I jumped to the conclusion that it was another bomb... just like all the other ones we hear so much about in "strange and faraway parts of the world", and we're always sad about it and shake our heads and think "what is this world coming to" etc. It wasn't til I saw the death toll go up that I realized this wasn't just your usual 30-person massacre (that sounds so bad, but we've all seriously been hardened by the constant influx of bad news that makes me completely ignore the news except for the last few days).

Bottom line -- as I posted on the other Bali thread by AusS2000, my heart goes out to you guys in Aus & Indonesia, and pretty much to everyone who has more fear and sadness in their hearts as a result of this f'in stuff. Don't want you guys to think otherwise. I'm sure the Bali bombing just hasn't sunk in yet in other parts of the world.
Old 10-15-2002, 01:22 AM
Muz
Former Sponsor

Anyone see the Australian 'citizen' on ACA tonight saying that he placed his religion above all else?

Is it just me or is that line of thinking extremely disturbing? Or perhaps only for aethiests?

Aus... please tell me I'm paranoid.
Old 10-15-2002, 02:22 AM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Just because you are paranoid doesn't mean people aren't out to get you.

And I agree, I find it very disturbing. I feel there is a duty amongst religious leaders to take responsibility for their followers actions.
Old 10-15-2002, 04:08 AM

First off; my sympathies go out to all of those affected by this hateful act.

Congratulations on successfully having a civil and intelligent debate on such a volatile issue. This would most likely not happen on any U.S. based forum I've seen.

This is such a tricky situation, as it didn't occur on Australian soil. What course of action do you think would be appropriate? Certainly, you can't just crawl back into a shell and hope it goes away.
Old 10-15-2002, 05:46 AM

Now that the Indonesian PM has proclaimed that this is the work of Al Qaeda, how does it change things?
Old 10-15-2002, 06:10 AM

Originally posted by Bernie
Aus, let's both make a pledge that no matter what, neither of us will knowingly facilitate this post turning into a debate on Iraq!

Sunder, I can't say I like what you are suggesting about "regime building". What that implies is that we forcibly rebuild anyone we don't like in our own image. So much for tolerance.

Maybe if we left them alone in the first place, they might leave us alone as well.

Must be hard to walk without a backbone.
Old 10-15-2002, 06:14 AM

Originally posted by wdavis

Im sorry, that wasnt very nice.

My condolences to the victims and thier families. I hope they catch the scum that did this to your people. When they do, encourage your government to give the actors to the families of the victims in a room that will be easy to hose out, and let em loose
Old 10-15-2002, 01:03 PM
Muz
Former Sponsor

Originally posted by AusS2000
Just because you are paranoid doesn't mean people aren't out to get you.

And I agree, I find it very disturbing. I feel there is a duty amongst religious leaders to take responsibility for their followers actions.
Yes likewise.

Anybody who doubts the existance of potential terrorists in Australia should spend some time reading the site of the Islamic Youth Movement in Sydney of which that fellow is a member.

http://www.islam.org.au/iym.htm
http://www.abc.net.au/lateline/s381233.htm
Old 10-15-2002, 01:16 PM

Bernie,

I'm sorry to say that I'm not aware of the East Timor situation. Brief me, please.
Old 10-15-2002, 02:16 PM

Originally posted by wdavis

Is this worthy of a response or should I treat it the way it deserves?

Quick Reply: Bombs in Bali