Australia & New Zealand S2000 Owners Members from the land downunder.

Blown Engine from the weekend

Old 04-16-2007, 06:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=honda9krpm,Apr 16 2007, 05:53 PM] Sorry for the saga CC!

Could you get some pics of the damage so we can diagnose and prevent future failure for us trackies?

I was suspecting the common retainer failure when the boys told me ur saga.
Old 04-16-2007, 07:05 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by robert112,Apr 17 2007, 12:31 PM
even a spun bearing wouldn't cause a piston rod to shoot through a sidewall block.

I duno ..
I've seen lots of holes in blocks from spun bearings.

Chronology of the failure goes like this.

1. Rod bearing fails due to oil starvation, cracked crank, debris etc. ( driver should notice a small knocking)

2. Bearing material melts away allowing the rod to move a lot on the crank. (knocking gets louder and oil pressure drops below normal)

3. with extra clearance the rod and piston can now hit the head so the pistons starts smashing itself to bits on the underside of the head ( driver should now hear really loud knocking, people at the side of the track can also hear the noise)

4. Piston disintegrates allowing rod to get out of control. Rod does lots of loop the loop inside the block till something jams and whats inside comes out. ( People at the trackside notice big bang and lots of smoke. Some people even notice the smoke forms little smoke dollar signs, like smoke rings only different. driver continues back to the pits claiming that he shut it down as soon as he heard a noise).

Chris.
Old 04-16-2007, 07:07 PM

Blown engine, on the track, at about 7k....lol sounds familiar. Well i can honestly say i know how u feel. I say go the 2.2 with a turbo. Best of luck with the rebuild CC.
Old 04-16-2007, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by chris_barry,Apr 17 2007, 01:05 PM

1. Rod bearing fails due to oil starvation, cracked crank, debris etc. ( driver should notice a small knocking)

2. Bearing material melts away allowing the rod to move a lot on the crank. (knocking gets louder and oil pressure drops below normal)

3. with extra clearance the rod and piston can now hit the head so the pistons starts smashing itself to bits on the underside of the head ( driver should now hear really loud knocking, people at the side of the track can also hear the noise)

4. Piston disintegrates allowing rod to get out of control. Rod does lots of loop the loop inside the block till something jams and whats inside comes out. ( People at the trackside notice big bang and lots of smoke. Some people even notice the smoke forms little smoke dollar signs, like smoke rings only different. driver continues back to the pits claiming that he shut it down as soon as he heard a noise).

Chris.
This is one of the best posts I have read on this entire site.

Old 04-16-2007, 07:51 PM

Thanks Chris. I was thinking of the same line. The true evidence for this will be blue or burn mark on the crank with open inspection.

There were reports on s2ki a long time ago of a few cases of broken rods for no apparent cause. This will certainly knock a hole in the short block. I think Honda America replaced the engines under warranty. Another causes of this saga is detonation but I've only seen it in serious FI engines.

What cause ur engine failure whiteap1? Do you recall ur oil level prior to the failure?
Old 04-16-2007, 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by chris_barry,Apr 16 2007, 07:05 PM

Chris.
ahahaha
classic.

give the drivers some credit, not easy to hear a 'knocking' at 9000rpm especially if you have an exhaust
Old 04-16-2007, 09:40 PM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

People at the trackside notice big bang and lots of smoke. Some people even notice the smoke forms little smoke dollar signs, like smoke rings only different. driver continues back to the pits claiming that he shut it down as soon as he heard a noise).
LOL, should have got some pics on Sunday and you could have done an illustrated story.
Old 04-16-2007, 11:07 PM

Chris.
Sounds like that is what happened.

I've been told to always overfill my oil before going on the track. To just below the top bump on the dipstick (on the skyline). I was told it helps prevent starvation during high G cornering.

Seems to work.

I'd much rather have baffles in my sump though.
Old 04-16-2007, 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by honda9krpm,Apr 16 2007, 07:51 PM
What cause ur engine failure whiteap1? Do you recall ur oil level prior to the failure?
Oil was fine, i just had it changed before the track day. It was mechanical over rev. I down geared too early as i panicked to wipe of speed approaching a corner. I ended up dropping a valve in 1st cylinder causing some serious scoring.
Old 04-16-2007, 11:37 PM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

You know these cars have brakes right?

Quick Reply: Blown Engine from the weekend