Australia & New Zealand S2000 Owners Members from the land downunder.

Blown Engine from the weekend

Old 04-15-2007, 06:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blown Engine from the weekend

As some of the QLD s2k guys know, my engine blew on the weekend out at Queensland Raceway. Car's currently at my mechanic where he'll be looking into the extent of the damage. Expect word back mid-week.

Short version of what happened is that I was exitting cnr 1, coming into cnr2, revs at about 7k and steady. Something blew, I left some metal on the track and lost all my oil. I didn't hear any of this until my engine went *bang* and smoke entered my cabin in the 2nd cnr. I crept off the track, where I kept losing oil. The track guys came out and cleared the track of my debris and covered the oil.

I'm expecting the worse, with perhaps a thrown rod or bottom end damage.

I'm in no immediate hurry to get the car back on the road, and I'm still weighing up my options. I'm assuming (at this stage), I'll need a new engine.

So I'd like the advice of the forum. I'm not going to be doing things on a shoestring budget, but I can't really go overboard.

Should I
1. find a local 2nd hand f20c engine (from the wreckers) and go for a rebuild
1. go a 2nd hand Jap-Spec engine (need to be imported)
2. Go a new Spoon f20c (been quoted ballpark figure of 7k-8k by Ivan @ hipowerracing.com.au)
3. do something else?

At the end of the day, I'd like my car to come back to me better than before the engine blew, however I'll hold off on doing supporting mods if I can (like header/exhaust) until I get my cash reserves back up. Also, this experience makes me want to keep the car off the track for the months following me getting the car back (again, to get a cash buffer up in the unlikely event this happens again).

Any thoughts? Ideas?
Old 04-15-2007, 06:34 PM
Banned

jeez what is it with all the blown engines!!! i blew one myself. 2000 model too.......it seems the 99/00 models are most likely to bin a motor??

Well from speaking with honda when my engine popped, a brand new engine is worth $12K (is this the going price??)

Depending on the damage you may get away with a shortblock replacement, buying new shortblock will still damage you around the 6K mark to the best of my memory. It may work out ok if you salvage what you can from the existing engine and replace whats broken.

Spoon complete engine for 7-8K doesn't really sound too bad, especially when the honda unit was reported to be worth $12K. Its 194kW after doing the ps - kw conversion...a touch more power.
Old 04-15-2007, 06:59 PM

I've still got to get more details on the spoon engine. It was just mentioned in passing. I think you're right and it'll be a spoon upgrade kit on a rebuilt f20c (I guess I should edit my orig post). I'll also need to know if this price requires a core exchange, which I probably won't be able to do if my block is damaged.

$12k is what I expect for Honda to quote for a new engine. This would be one of my last options.

Still, it's all early days at this stage, until I hear back from my mechanic.

Japcab, what did you end up doing when your engine blew?

/edit: what was the reported hp #'s on the spoon engine? (too lazy to google it)
Old 04-15-2007, 08:00 PM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I'd say buy a used engine. As long as the compression and leakdown figures are good.

You should pay $2-3K for a good unit.

BTW:

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.ph...&f=22&t=470839

Checks the pics on page 2.
Old 04-15-2007, 08:10 PM

2 to 3k for a second hand engine aus? I didn't realise they were so cheap! are they easy to find ? That puts my mind at ease, I thought I'd be up for minimum of 8-9 if I blew mine.
Old 04-15-2007, 08:11 PM

BTW, if there is metal and oil on the road unless you've damaged your sump on a rock it is going to be serious. Bottom end definitely. Top probably.

Oh, and if the top turns out to be OK and you replace with a long block I'll buy the head off you. Need a spare.
Old 04-15-2007, 08:14 PM

Aus - Nice looking work on your engine there... unfortunately, I've more talent rebuilding computers, not car engines, so I won't be getting as "hands-on" with this as you are

/edit: I'll keep you up to date with the extent of the damage (if any) of the head
Old 04-15-2007, 08:16 PM

I'm a 'hack of all trades'.
Old 04-15-2007, 08:18 PM

so was it due to over rev? or was it jsut one of them things?
Old 04-15-2007, 08:20 PM

I've seen a few through ebay for as little as $2k. I've seen $3500 for engine and gearbox.

Quick Reply: Blown Engine from the weekend