Australia & New Zealand S2000 Owners Members from the land downunder.

Black or silverstone?

Old 04-10-2005, 05:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Black or silverstone?

Hey guys,

Spoke to a dealer today (Southside Honda) about a 2005 S2000 and I'm trying to decide on colour vs timeframe.

Basically, I want the two-tone red/black interior with either black or silverstone.

Firstly, I can't decide between black or silverstone - I have silverstone at the moment but black is just gorgeous. Secondly, I could get the silverstone by the end of the month but a black one will take until June to get!

It seems they have VERY little stock here in Australia. One silverstone with red/black at the end of the month, and a black one coming from Japan in June. But that's about it. Apparently, they've only sold four 2005 so far in Queensland.

So I'm not quite certain what to do. I don't particularly want to wait till June for the car!

edit: I asked the dealer if they could swap the seats from the silver one into another black one that's already here in Australia (with black seats) but they wouldn't.

What do you guys think?

-Adam
Old 04-10-2005, 06:16 PM

I guess the reason why they have a Silverstone in stock is that Silverstone has been the most common colour.

Over the years we've wondered if that was because most people preferred Silverstone, or if it was because Honda brought in more Silverstones and so people bought them because they were available Right Now rather than waiting for their first preference colour.

If it was me, I'd prefer to wait a couple of months to get the colour I wanted rather than spend 5 years driving around in a colour that I didn't like.
Old 04-10-2005, 06:21 PM

Black. June is 5 minutes away dragon if its what you want just hold out
Old 04-10-2005, 06:21 PM

It's not that I don't like it - I can't even decide on that.
Old 04-10-2005, 06:23 PM

If you cant decide which one you like better as far as looks are concerned then you should consider other things like what a pita black is to keep clean and swirl free. Is it going to be a garage queen or a beater?
Old 04-10-2005, 07:07 PM

Speaking from experience black is a bitch to keep clean. All marks show up. Paint chips are the worst....

I can honestly say I will never buy another black car.
Old 04-10-2005, 07:35 PM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

This is really the sort of thing we should all learn to make up our own minds on. There's no clear cut winner, it's a matter of personal preference.

When I bought my S there was an 8 month wait regardless of colour. I could have any colour I wanted (except Spa). I choose Silverstone/Red.

Why? Because I like! Oh, and Spa wasn't available then.
Old 04-10-2005, 08:02 PM

The big advantage of Silverstone is that it doesn't show the dirt as much as other colours and consequently you don't have to wash it as often.

White looks beautiful when it's spotlessly clean but you need to wash it more frequently. Black has much the same problem.

If you prefer darker rather than lighter colours you should consider the MC Blue. The blues are reasonably rare and they look classy in both sunshine and at night.

If you like "look at me" colours then Spa Yellow is the best choice. If you're thinking of Red have a look at the great photos in Perry's recent "Published" thread.

My suggestion is FIRST figure out your colour preference and then only accept a second preference if your first choice has an unbearable delay. An April to June lead time is nothing to worry about. You're not buying a Holden.
Old 04-10-2005, 08:10 PM

How often are you willing to wash your car?

The amount of times you wash your silverstone, times that by couple more for black
Old 04-10-2005, 08:34 PM

Personally id go red or white. Red cause i have a red one, and white cause white looks the best in my view.

I was told not to buy black because the lines of the car dont stand out as much, Its hard to keep clean and swirl marks stick out like dog balls. On the other hand, silver is too common.

Quick Reply: Black or silverstone?