Australia & New Zealand S2000 Owners Members from the land downunder.

Best aftermarket sat nav device?

Old 08-08-2004, 02:46 PM
Muz
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fireball,Aug 9 2004, 12:45 AM
check out www.ja-gps.com.au
muz : the hp3850/3870 absolutely sux at bluetooth. my friend gave me one to try out and the bt was dropping out and was so crap i never managed to active sync using bt. i went on the hp/ipaq forums and even the techs on their couldnt help. the only solution was to upgrade the pocketpc software to 2003 which i didnt try. i've looked extensively for portable solution but my prerequisites were : pocket pc +gps +phone.

that currently leaves only 1 option currently avail in oz , the O2xdaII with a bt gps solution .as good as the O2 is it still has a few flaws. so i am currently waiting for either hp6300 or the motorola mpx or the O2xdaIII then couple it with a BT gps unit and software

can't wait
Interesting info. Thanks Will check it out. I'm really hoping to avoid the added expense of upgrading my PDA.
Old 08-08-2004, 02:50 PM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Got you! I didn't realise you were saying you had one model and there was another that has BlueTooth. You definitely need BlueTooth for this unit.

Does yours fit one of the sleeves?
Old 08-09-2004, 03:08 AM

the navman pin looks exactly like the mitac mio 168, which also retails for about $980 at jb hifi, they both r pocket pcs, and they both look the same, i wonder if they r just rebadged??
Old 08-09-2004, 03:26 AM

it seems they r the same unit, except for the software, navman has gotten better feedback in terms of its software it seems
http://www.pdabuyersguide.com/ubbthreads/s...sb=5&o=&fpart=1
and it is selling for $900
Old 10-23-2004, 11:38 PM

Caution: long post ahead...

I've been looking into this recently and went and looked at all three units (Navman, Mio and Garmin) at Organiser World a few days ago. In case it helps someone, here's what I've found so far.

My basic requirements for a portable GPS are:

a) That the unit is fully integrated; I don't want to have to carry & deal with a bluetooth receiver as a separate item (and keeping the thing in the right orientation for reception is an issue if you're walking);
b) That I can navigate to arbitrary locations, not just street addresses;
c) That I can set up a series of waypoints and be guided through them; and
d) That the unit can be used to navigate whilst walking.

The following is what I picked up from the sales people and looking on Web sites, so I don't guarantee it's correct .

Navman PIN - $930:
Navman license the Mio hardware. Standard PocketPC device, albeit with an integrated GPS receiver. 240x320 pixel screen with decent brightness. Software is the most basic of them all; no walk mode, can't navigate to lat/lon, can't create custom routes and be guided through them, point of interest functionality seemed pretty limited. I stopped looking at it at this stage.

Mio DigiWalker 168 - $930:
Same hardware as the Navman (obviously), but running the Copilot Live software. This sees like a much nicer package than the Navman, since you get everything that the Navman can do plus a walk mode, logging, live tracking via GPRS (if you really want to), navigation to lat/lon, custom routes via waypoints, and it's the only unit of the three that lets you plan everything on your PC and then upload the route to the PDA.

Garmin iQue 3600 - $1300:
Palm OS-based unit. 320x480 pixel display, which given you a lot more screen real-estate than the Mios and turned out to make the whole process of selecting locations and navigating to them much nicer. It's a Garmin unit, and does pretty much everything you'd expect from them, so you get everything that the Mio/Navman can do plus some extras (like marine navigation, if you need it). It doesn't let you plan routes on the PC and upload them, however, but that's not a big thing for me since you can save planned routes on the unit itself anyhow.

The Mio and Garmin both have much better Point of Interest support than the Navman. Being able to just enter 'Shell' into the POI search in the Garmin and get all the Shell service stations nearby would be great on those long drives.

The screen on the Garmin isn't so bright as the Mios, and there could be issues with it getting washed out in bright light. The Garmin car kit has a speaker built into the car power adapter, however, which can apparently be set pretty loud. The sales person said that he found he could hear it fine with the windows down on the freeway, whereas he found the Mio difficult to hear.

The Navman has an interesting 3D view mode, which is coming to the Mio in the next few weeks (and actually looks better than the Navman's, judging by the screenshots). The Garmin doesn't have a 3D mode, and I don't know if they plan to add one.

Overall I let the store feeling that as far as a portable GPS goes the Garmin won, and of the three units there the sales manager also chooses to use the Garmin. The Garmin pack includes a better suite of car kit items, too, from what I was told.

So, I'd personally get the Garmin, or the Mio if you need a PocketPC or want to save the $370. I couldn't see the point in the Navman, since it didn't seem to do anything that the others didn't, and didn't do a lot of the things the others did.

Gavin
Old 10-24-2004, 04:32 PM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Saw this at the Motor Show. Looks pretty good.

http://www.destinator.com.au/
Old 10-24-2004, 05:25 PM
Muz
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by AusS2000,Oct 25 2004, 10:32 AM
Saw this at the Motor Show. Looks pretty good.

http://www.destinator.com.au/
Hmmm... looks like you don't need a PDA with Bluetooth for Destinator's Destinator/CF GPS (DESTAU-HI303) version.

http://www.ja-gps.com.au/destinator.aspx

That would be nice. Save me upgrading my PDA.