Australia & New Zealand S2000 Owners Members from the land downunder.

Best $1300 I ever spent...

Old 11-11-2002, 03:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best $1300 I ever spent...

I just got my car back with a new set of Koni Adjustable shocks. Unbelievable, is the only words I have to describe it.

I haven't had much of a chance to push it , but there is a mountainous track near my house where it is safe to do a bit of agressive driving. There are some corners there marked 35km/h. I took them at over 100km/h and the car felt completely stable. Previously, with stock shocks, I could only take them about 70km/h and the rear end would feel a bit slippy.

As a bonus, the ride comfort has increased as well, though I think that has to do with the old pair being... Well, old. (worn out)
Old 11-11-2002, 03:26 AM

koni yellows right, $1300, is that a lot?
my brothers civic vtir koni yellow were $900, what do u have them set at in terms of height, does it have the two notches for height.
what springs u running as well
Old 11-11-2002, 03:30 AM

I took them at over 100km/h and the car felt completely stable. Previously, with stock shocks, I could only take them about 70km/h and the rear end would feel a bit slippy.

I'm not sure if I'm reading it right .... are you saying that corners that you took at 70kph now you can take at 100kph+? If so then something does not seem right as the cornering speed difference between an awesome car (ie. EVO 6 or M3) and a very average car (ie. Toyota Corolla) is only about 15kph through a ~80kph corner. I cannot see how any suspension out there can make a car (that is already already awesome) corner better by that huge maginitude .... to be honest I would be impressed if any suspension setup out there can give you extra 5kph let alone 30kph+.

Maybe I'm just not reading your post right.
Old 11-11-2002, 04:28 AM

seat of pants speedo reading maybe????
Old 11-11-2002, 04:34 AM

I think the Konis not only made Sunder's car more stable but also gave him the confidence to push a little bit harder around that corner
Old 11-11-2002, 04:38 AM
tze

What sort of springs have you matched them up with? Ride height issues to consider as well of course.

Mind you the Konis will give you the ability to increase rear damping significantly, which should help roll-oversteer problems.

No doubting the quality of Koni prodcuts, but alot depends on how it has been set up
Old 11-11-2002, 12:50 PM

Koni "yellows" are only rebound adjustable. Their compression is probably a little stiffer than stock but the actual adjustment is pretty limited. You have to know what you're doing to adjust them right anyway - just turning them onto maximum stiff is not necessarily the right thing to do. Anyway, the best way to reduce roll oversteer is with anti roll bars.
Old 11-11-2002, 05:44 PM
tze

Agree naisho - actually the konis are bump/rebound adjustable - just not independantly - and it depends on the shock valving as to the proportions.

As for the rear roll bar - yes it will help roll oversteer in general - but not if you hit a bump. In that situation, greater rear damping will help significantly.
Old 11-11-2002, 05:59 PM

I had Koni Yellows on a previous car. The importer, the people who fitted them and Koni's web site at the time said they were only rebound adjustable. Maybe something's changed.

I suppose greater damping might reduce bump steer. It is an issue with this car.
Old 11-11-2002, 06:11 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by DavidM
[B]
I'm not sure if I'm reading it right .... are you saying that corners that you took at 70kph now you can take at 100kph+? If so then something does not seem right as the cornering speed difference between an awesome car (ie. EVO 6 or M3) and a very average car (ie. Toyota Corolla)

Quick Reply: Best $1300 I ever spent...