Australia & New Zealand S2000 Owners Members from the land downunder.

Australian of the Year

Old 01-28-2002, 10:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Australian of the Year

I heard today that Pat Rafter had been named as Australian of the year.

I am interested to know what people think. My personal view is that the Australian of the year should be someone who has contributed something special to the community. Someone who has done so without personal reward.

Don't get me wrong. I regard Rafter in the highest echelon of sportsmen and am a big fan but he has made millions in his careers pursuing his living. What has he done to justify being Australian of the year?

If I remember correctly, Mark Taylor was Australian of the year a few years ago. Why? Becasue he refused to retire from a job he no longer deserved to hold? Because the law of averages finally said he had to score some runs?

Cosgrove was the recipient last year. Why? For doing his job?

I think an old couple who don the uniform of the Salvation Army and go out and do charity work every week as they have done for years are more deserving.
Old 01-28-2002, 10:43 PM

Bernie
From memory Pat setup his own charity for I think disadvantaged kids or kids with Cancer (don't quote me on this as I can't remember all the facts). He puts alot back into the community through this charity.

I do agree that the Aussie of the year should be someone who helps in the community at no advantage to themselves.

CD
Old 01-28-2002, 10:55 PM

Pat Rafter. Right.

Yeh, we should all aim to be like Pat Rafter, what a model Australian!

He's one of the best ball hitters we've every produced. We need more ball hitters like him.
Yep, if theres one thing I admire in a man, its the way he hits balls.
Old 01-28-2002, 10:55 PM

Yes he does have his own charity and puts back in... but I am pretty sure that there are a few more people who put into charity a hell of their time, which I think in many cases is more important than money.

To be honest I get a little dissapointed every time I see so many awards given to athletes. This country is obsessed with sport... Don't get me wrong, I love sport too... but sometimes its just shameful.

I know I wasn't born in the best of countries, but they did give award to top musicians, poets, historians etc. People who shared something special with the country... as for sport... next we'll have WWF wrestlers becoming premiers *hint hint*
Old 01-28-2002, 10:57 PM

Originally posted by bmoyes
Pat Rafter. Right.

Yeh, we should all aim to be like Pat Rafter, what a model Australian!

He's one of the best ball hitters we've every produced. We need more ball hitters like him.
Yep, if theres one thing I admire in a man, its the way he hits balls.
Nice one Ben Mind you tho, Lleyton hits the ball better than Pat... so I am not sure about this whole ball thing...
Old 01-29-2002, 12:05 AM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

There's a subtle misunderstanding about what these awards are for. They are not to honour Pat Rafter, but to hold up the good things that Pat has done. Pat Rafter is more appropriate as Australian of the Year than the old Salvos because he is more likely to influence people en mass than they are.

Suggesting that Pat Rafter is undeserving because he has profitted, that his charitable work should be a given considering his wealth, is the Tall Poppy Syndrome all over again.

Fact is, the best people are the ones you never hear of and never will hear of, but they also don't inspire others so they are not much use as AOTY.
Old 01-29-2002, 12:29 AM

True, he may be inspirational to many people. If we took a count of the number of people who claimed to be 'inspired' by Pat Rafter, then arranged them in order of descending magnitude it might go something like:

1) Influencing people to WATCH people hitting balls on TV
2) Influencing people to watch ADS on TV (thats why the TV stations broadcast sport)
3) Influencing people to wear the same brand of sporting goods he is wearing.
4) Influencing people to hit balls (and run a bit)
---
100) Influencing people to achieve greatness and genuinely contribute to society in a way that will improve and further the lives of others.

To most, he is just someone playing a game on TV. There are a lot more inspirational people on TV, who are NOT hitting balls.
Old 01-29-2002, 12:54 AM

Originally posted by bmoyes
To most, he is just someone playing a game on TV.
Yes, and they (whoever they are) leverage off this fame to promote good deeds. The person doesn't matter, only the deeds do.
Old 01-29-2002, 01:10 AM

My point was, that wouldn't a better example be someone who actually did good deeds, AND was famous for it? (Rather than for , say, hitting balls)?
Old 01-29-2002, 01:20 AM

According to the board of AOTY: No

Quick Reply: Australian of the Year