Australia & New Zealand S2000 Owners Members from the land downunder.

Aussie First Oil Change?

Old 02-13-2004, 10:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aussie First Oil Change?

Hello,

This question has been on my mind and neither myself or any others have been able to state definitively, with empirical data, why Honda states the first oil change for the S should be at 600 miles and why the North American cars require the first oil change to follow the normal or severe OCI.

Has anybody spoken with Honda directly or perhaps has hard data to help understand why, from a technical standpoint or any standpoint for that matter, the first oil changes differ for two countries?

It is interesting that Honda motorcycles follow the same first OCI - 600 miles for sportbikes, don't know about the rest of the motorcycle line, across the world. Why not the S? Is is the Moly and high quality choice of oils that are available in Australia?

TIA!
Old 02-13-2004, 10:20 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I'd really like to hear the explanation to this one.

Kinda makes you wonder what all the fuss is about in N. America, doesn't it? I guess Honda Australia doesn't believe in this magic break in oil, huh?
Old 02-13-2004, 12:46 PM

I think it's got more to do with marketing than technical factors. Honda here obviously likes to make lots of money on servicing. I suspect they have the same advice for all their cars including the Civic. It probably does suggest that the so called break in oil is not all it's made out to be in the states. We don't seem to have a higher incidence of engine problems. Mine certainly never used excessive oil.
Old 02-13-2004, 03:29 PM

My understanding is that the reason for the early oil change is that there is a higher possibility of minute metal shavings being captured in the oil during that first 600 miles (1000Kms).

That is, the newly manufactured engine is going through a bedding-in period during which minute differences in manufacturing accuracy are resolved by friction.

The no early change policy in the USA is probably more due to the US Government consumer legislation than any engineering reasons.
Old 02-14-2004, 02:13 PM

I agree with you re marketing being responsible for the Honda Australia frequent service intervals Naishou but it doesn't account for the first service, which is a freebie.

I suspect what we are seing here is just marketplace consistency. In other words the NA market does not want to have a vehicle that is out of kilter with its service recommendations for the rest of the model range.

Prancing Horse/Xviper, I am a firm believer that more frequent oil changes can do only good for any vehicle.

Red Rover has highlighted what I see as key reasons for an early oil change. To my way of thinking, the risk of loose metal shavings from break-in doing damage to my engine innards at 9k revs far outweighs any perceived negative effects of flushing "assembly molybendum" out of the system.

As a final point, Prancing, I am a long term motorcyclist and quite used to high rev/high performance engines. Most sportbike riders ride their bikes hard when they ride. I am like this with the S2000 too - I drive it hard, therefore I service it more often than my wife's family car for instance.

For those S2k drivers who poodle around in their cars then infrequent servicing is fine, but drivers who exploit the performance envelope in the S2k should account for this when deciding on their maintenance schedule.