Australia & New Zealand S2000 Owners Members from the land downunder.

Argghhh! 40,000km service

Old 02-20-2002, 07:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On Tuesday this week (19 Feb 2002) I took my car in for 30,000Km service to Courtney & Patterson, Heidelberg. I mentioned the noise on deceleration and asked that they look at it.

On Tuesday afternoon they rang and said that they would agree to take the gearbox out and look at it but warned that if there was evidence of driver abuse then it could not be under warranty.

Today (Thursday 21 Feb) they called me around 3.00PM to advise that they had removed the clutch and found that the clutch was in good condition (ie no driver abuse) but that the springs in the clutch were faulty. Accordingly, they have agreed to replace the clutch under warranty.

However, all the parts may not be to hand until tomorrow and so the car may need to remain disassembled in their workshop over the weekend. I can cope with that.

I notice in some of the American threads that they say that in the early days (1999 - 2000) when they replaced a clutch it remained silent for 4,000 miles (say 6.4K Kms) but then the noise started to come back again but nowadays (2001 - 2002) the newer clutches from Honda seem to be improved and are not showing a recurrence of the buzzing noise. I guess I'll find out over the next few months and will keep you posted.

So, based on this personal experience, I'd have to say that I was treated fairly by Courtney & Patterson.
Old 02-20-2002, 08:26 PM

Dan,

Thanks for that little bit of info...may be able to "use it" when my work gets done. Admittedly, Scotts in Sydney did not have the disclaimer about "Driver Abuse" and said that the gearbox work was under warranty...they will check my clutch complaints at the same time.

To date, have been extremely happy with Scotts...hope this continues with the trannie work!

Does anyone know whether this problem is more prevalent in early models (99-00) than the later ones? Mine is one of the first off the boat in 99.
Old 02-21-2002, 02:23 PM

Anyone had any experience (good or bad) with Larke Hoskins in Rosebery?
Old 02-24-2002, 05:33 PM

I had the gearbox overhaul done at Scotts late January at my 20,00 service, (for noise and also 1 - 2nd crunches), it was agreed by Honda on the day and they only had the car for 2 days. Still not so happy with the overhaul didnt fix the 1 -2nd crunch, so I will be getting them to check it again. Quite happy with Scotts also, however the person who looked after me also sold me the car before moving to service and has now left so I will be interested if they will still be as good!

Good luck with the overhaul!! Someone is giving you a bit of a blow if they think it will take 10 days. I can let you know more info if you need it!
Old 02-24-2002, 06:01 PM

Originally posted by black&red
Anyone had any experience (good or bad) with Larke Hoskins in Rosebery?
Very limited experience and nothing bad. I had a chat with one service guy who seemed to know a fair bit about S2000s. I only got them to do the 5000k service so nothing major to report. Just tell them not to wash the car.
Old 02-24-2002, 08:47 PM

Well, I've just got home after picking up my car following the clutch replacement. Obviously haven't driven far, but went down two steep hills on the way with absolutely no more buzzing clutch noise. Just like a new one!

I must put in a good word for Courtney & Patterson, they really did the right thing. All parts & labour were covered by warranty, it didn't cost me a cent, and this was all done with no disputes & no fuss.

I had a look at the old clutch that came out. The backing plate & the clutch plate itself were in quite good condition and could have lasted another 30,000Kms. However, all 4 springs were loose in their mountings and could easily be jiggled about by fingers.

There can be no doubt that in my car the springs were the source of the buzzing clutch noise. For someone who asked, my car was built in September 1999 and was in for its 30,000Km service.
Old 03-05-2002, 12:22 PM

Just booked my car in for the trannie. Was very surprised when the service guy said "oh, you're in for the transmission recall as well".

Didn't have time to ask him to elaborate but found rather "off-the cuff" (and flippant) comment. Anyone heard about this before?
Old 03-10-2002, 05:07 PM

Hi Guys

Just thought I'd add a few comments regarding some of the Melbourne
Dealers I've been to.

My previous ride was a 5th Generation V-TIR prelude purchased from Courtney & Patterson. Salesman was fantastic, but location to far for servicing. Talbot motors in Abbotsford serviced the car every 5000 Kms, although a little pricey, the guys always fixed any complaints first time and provide a courtesy car free of charge.

Traded the car on a silverstone/red s2000 at John Blair, again my experiences with the salesman and used car manager were first class. Besides another jealous salesman who shall remain nameless, treating me like some stupid girl, who couldn't possible afford an s2000 (I was 24 at the time). The insults didn't stop there, he tried offering me 19 grand as a trade in!!!!!!! I told him that was a joke, I mean for a clean, lowered lude, with a 6 grand comp stereo and full service history, please. After leaving the yard I received a call from the salesman who had taken me out for a test drive apologising for his colleagues behaviour.
He also went onto to say he'd checked with his manager (who was at home that day) about the trade in price, which was wrong and quoted on the previous model. He offered me a substantial increase on the trade in, which I accepted and became the proud owner of an s2000.

I decided to have the interior ming protected and an alarm fitted to my new baby. That was definately an eye opener at the service department. I had to take the car back 3 times. When applying the ming treatment, the guys had missed large areas which were extremely noticable. I realise that mistakes can
be made and that we are only human, but taking the car back and having the problems rectified, I assumed
would be enough to have the problem fixed. Third trip back (I'll agree it was done properly this time) I overheard another customer trying to pick up their car. The service guys were scratching their heads as they couldn't find a record of her car. After checking the workshop, they found the car and surprise no service had been preformed. At that moment, my mind was made up, my car would not be going back ever again. I decided to remain loyal to the team at Talbot Motors who provide excellent customer service and are always willing to rectify any problems I alert them to.

I think this can be attributed to a smaller workshop and the fact that they book fewer cars for service, allows the mechanics to spend more time per service.

I guess I was just unlucky with my dealings with there service department or have others experienced similar incidents?

In concluding I would like to add, the s2000 is by far the best car I've ever driven or owned. I would love to hear what others think and also wondering whether there are any young s2000 drivers out there??

Old 03-10-2002, 05:13 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Christie P
[B]In concluding I would like to add, the s2000 is by far the best car I've ever driven or owned.
Old 03-10-2002, 05:25 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by naishou
[B]Does 29 count

Quick Reply: Argghhh! 40,000km service