Australia & New Zealand S2000 Owners Members from the land downunder.

Aren't you glad you didn't buy...

Old 04-19-2005, 01:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i use to have an ss ute, but then i gave that up for the Stook. When i get back in the car, it just seems so much faster because of all that torque compared to the s. But id prefer to drive the S anyday of the week.
Old 04-19-2005, 01:19 AM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I have to confess I don't understand the 'UTE' thing. I know there are occassions when I want to move some stuff around but if I ring my mate with the ute he declines because he doesn't want to scratch up the tray?

They are light in the rear and heavy in the front (a quality I only like in women). They don't handle and they make you look like a plumber. I think it can be traced back to some Bob the Builder fetish.
Old 04-19-2005, 02:37 AM

Not a fan of practical cars Aus?

Seriously I think that the maloo would be a nice car to drive and its got the practicality side down. If I ever wanted to take one of our boats away and go camping I'd be set. For a while there I was actually looking at getting a patrol or troopy and taking a month or two off to head interstate travelling but for the price I thought it might be better to get a round the world ticket
Old 04-19-2005, 02:50 AM

What is so practical about spending all you time driving around with an empty tray? I mean, if you need a ute then fine, but many that buy them don't.

And if you do put stuff in the back make sure you remove it every night. Pilfering from utes is a popular past time in many suburbs. And don't just cover it with a tarp, 'cause they'll steal that too. Of course the tryhard performance versions come with a hard cover, but then that seriously limits what you can carry.

Sorry, I find the whole ute thing rather silly. I guess that one positive is that you can keep your number plates.
Old 04-19-2005, 03:38 AM

Perhaps I'm being argumentitive but stealing from under a tarp is no different to the soft top and driving around with 300kw on the street is no more practical then having a tray that's not used more than > X% (Where x = a number that Aus generates to suit his pov )

If you don't use your boot everyday why don't you buy a bike Aus? I'm sure even those that buy a ute for whatever reason chuck stuff in the back more often then you warrant having a fully sik turbo bro

Seriously did you even read my post? I don't see what's not practical about being able to tow a boat away for the weekend or chuck a tent and mountain bike in the back or water skiis or snow boards .......

is my point still being missed great knight
Old 04-19-2005, 02:21 PM

Ouch.

Practicality was your argument, not mine.
Old 04-19-2005, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by AusS2000,Apr 19 2005, 02:50 AM
What is so practical about spending all you time driving around with an empty tray? I mean, if you need a ute then fine, but many that buy them don't.

And if you do put stuff in the back make sure you remove it every night. Pilfering from utes is a popular past time in many suburbs. And don't just cover it with a tarp, 'cause they'll steal that too. Of course the tryhard performance versions come with a hard cover, but then that seriously limits what you can carry.

Sorry, I find the whole ute thing rather silly. I guess that one positive is that you can keep your number plates.
I have to agree with Aus.

Utes where originally brought out for the working man.. you put your cement mixer, carry bricks.. large loads (this is why we have 1 tonners) on a day to day basis. Sure it's great for taking the boat and bikes up for a trip.. but isn't that where 4WD's come in?.. aren't they practical aswell, if not more?

I think my 2 cents is that you use a vehicle for what it was intended for.. we don't take our S2ks off road/4Wdriving, and utes should be considered as a work vehicle (tradie)

Thats just my opinion..

Back onto the crossfire... I remember an episode of that UK show Fifth Gear where the presenter described the back of a Crossfire as "A dog bending over to do its business"

Can you see it????
Old 04-19-2005, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by dbzerk,Apr 20 2005, 09:04 AM
I have to agree with Aus.

Utes where originally brought out for the working man.. you put your cement mixer, carry bricks.. large loads (this is why we have 1 tonners) on a day to day basis. Sure it's great for taking the boat and bikes up for a trip.. but isn't that where 4WD's come in?.. aren't they practical aswell, if not more?

I think my 2 cents is that you use a vehicle for what it was intended for.. we don't take our S2ks off road/4Wdriving, and utes should be considered as a work vehicle (tradie)

Thats just my opinion..
Does a construction engineer count

I never said that 4wds weren't practical but IMO many of them are less of a compromise since they drive like.... you guessed it, 4wds. You'll read that I did consider a 4wd driving around 150kms a day I'd rather something more comfortable considering going off road isn't necessary just to camp, more of a luxury.

Would buying an S2000 as a daily driver be using it for its intended purpose? The only answer I see that is consistent with your reasoning is no. But just like today's utes it was a nice car to drive and when I had the chance I did use it for its intended purpose which I would have to assume is top down cruising/spirited driving.
Old 04-19-2005, 03:40 PM

I knew i shouldn't have posted that last post! You and your ute is a touchy topic!
At the end of the day.. its your car.. that was my opinion and from my opinion is why i don't own a ute..
Obviously you are going to use the befit of a ute more than i would and it suits your lifestyle.. i guess what i'm trying to say is that there are people out there who don't use the tray of a ute.. not a tradie and solly get a ute because it is an easy burn out machine.

BTW.. can you see the hunched over dog in the pic???
Old 04-19-2005, 03:44 PM

You'll notice that in my post I said, "If you need a ute, then fine". Makes perfect sense if you lug big heavy stuff around. But I can't tell you how many ute owners I know that wouldn't dare put anything harder than a nerf ball in the back for fear it might scratch the paint work.

As for practicality, I admit the S can be unpractical, but then I never used practicality as an argument for it so I have no reason to defend it. Actually that's not true. I have often said I chose the S over an Elise for reasons of practicality but then I then I think it was pretty obvious I was being ironic.

Quick Reply: Aren't you glad you didn't buy...