Australia & New Zealand S2000 Owners Members from the land downunder.

anyone tried krispy kreme doughnuts yet?

Old 07-01-2003, 06:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

not exactly, amp's shopping centre investment vehicle, ART (shopping centre trust) which owns the majority of all of AMP's shopping centre property is still around. however, AMP Life (insurance) generally is a co-owner of a lot of these shopping centres. Now Centro properties which had accumulated approx 20% of ART sold this amt to Westfield in exchange for a few Westfield centres and script.
Westfield at this stage had also accumulated approx 20% of ART, so now they own close to half of ART.
At the end of the day, Westfield is gonna own all of the shopping centres in Oz like they pretty much do in the USA (i believe they r now the 2nd largest shopping centre owners behind Simons, correct me if i'm wrong). so all retailers r gonna be screwed mightily by good ol Frank Lowy and sons.
Westfield r ruthless to deal with, they don't give an inch in terms of negotiations (and u thought CKY was a hard nut to crack, try Westfield centre management and their leasing executives)
Old 07-01-2003, 02:57 PM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally posted by cayenneguy
wat i hate about Boost is that some of the staff take the whole "relaxed" atmosphere a litle too seriously.
Yep, I've seen that. It seems to be whenever Wes isn't there.

I was ordering one day and this guy on a stool asked how his order was going. They apologised and gave him a fully punched card for a free one next time.

I sat on the stool next to him and waited for my order. When it arrived I asked him what happened to his order as he still hadn't received it. I left as the shit hit the fan.
Old 07-01-2003, 05:20 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by cayenneguy
[B]not exactly, amp's shopping centre investment vehicle, ART (shopping centre trust) which owns the majority of all of AMP's shopping centre property is still around. however, AMP Life (insurance) generally is a co-owner of a lot of these shopping centres. Now Centro properties which had accumulated approx 20% of ART sold this amt to Westfield in exchange for a few Westfield centres and script.
Westfield at this stage had also accumulated approx 20% of ART, so now they own close to half of ART.
Old 07-02-2003, 03:10 AM

its already been announced that warringah mall is to be kept as warringah mall amp and not anything to do with westfield as amp still own half thru amp life. a lot of amp's other shopping centres r wholly owned by either their life or art vehicles (garden city kotara, mac centre, lynn mall in nz, and many others) so these will not be transferred over to westfield sites.
westfield never trumped centro with any bid, it was a decision upon centro's part as it involved essentially a swap of their 20% holding for westfield stock and also a few of westfields more regional smaller shopping centres, something more akin to wat centro r used to running and not mega centres like pacific fair or warringah mall. an example of wat centro like running r small regionals like warriewood square which is a bit of a waste of time unless ur a pensioner and cant stand multi level shopping but it certainly doesnt offer the range of a large supacentre with its headaches of parking and getting lost in the myriad of stores.
Old 07-02-2003, 03:07 PM

Getting back on topic guys...
Quote from AFP:
"Fast food industry under attack

AFP - A leading US big business lobby group has leapt to the defence of fast food restaurants that have been accused over the obesity crisis in the United States.

The US Chamber of Commerce, which describes itself as the largest business federation in the world, launched a campaign seeking to fend off the growing threat of lawsuits against restaurants and food manufacturers.

"The fast food industry is under attack by trial lawyers," said Todd Buchholz, a former White House economist who wrote the report for the US Chamber of Commerce.

"But there's little evidence that fast food has contributed to obesity."

His report came amid growing concern that the fast-food industry is in line for an onslaught of class action lawsuits modelled on recent years' tobacco litigation.

And experts have said moves, such as that announced Tuesday by processed food giant Kraft Foods Inc to cut the size of single person portions and end marketing in schools aimed at children, was to head off damages claims.

Lisa Rickard, president of the Chamber of Commerce's Institute for Legal Reform, said lawyers were gunning for fast-food companies because the 116-billion-dollar industry, with its multinational networks of franchises, is seen as a juicy target, much like the tobacco industry.

"This is about plaintiffs' lawyers trying to line their pockets," she said.

Few suits have been filed so far but Rickard said the industry was bracing for more.

The best-known case targets McDonald's Corp on behalf of obese children in New York City seeking compensation for health problems related to their weight.

A judge threw out the original suit, which alleged the food was addictive, but an amended version, focusing on failure to warn youngsters about the content and risk of fatty burgers and fries, has been re-filed.

According to government statistics, about 65 per cent of the adult USpopulation is obese or overweight and the United States has 300,000 obesity-related deaths a year and spends about 100 billion dollars a year treating weight-related health problems.

John Banzhaf, a George Washington University law professor leading the charge toward litigation, in May demanded that McDonald's and other chains warn customers about the risks of consuming fatty and sugary foods or prepare for court.

Banzhaf said he sent demands to Burger King, owned by Texas Pacific Group, Bain Capital and Goldman Sachs Capital Partners; Wendys International Inc; and Yum! Brands chains KFC, Taco Bell and Pizza Hut.

The chamber and other industry groups are strongly supporting a bill introduced by Representative Ric Keller, a Republican, that would shield restaurants from obesity suits unless they violated a specific state or local law.

The measure is expected to come before the House of Representatives judiciary committee in a few months.

Buchholz blamed the US obesity problems on sedentary lifestyles and increased snacking.

He said the average fast food order contains about as much fat as typical fare at ordinary cafes. "Why sue fast food restaurants and not formal restaurants?" he asked.

Another industry fear is that overseas sales will be hit as governments worldwide mull action, including possible restrictions on fatty-food imports.

Ruth Kava, director of nutrition at the American Council on Science and Health, a business- and foundation-funded consumer group, said fast food was being used as a scapegoat for obesity. "This is a worldwide problem," said Kava, who wrote the Chamber report foreword."
Old 09-16-2003, 02:58 PM

Just tried some krispy kreme donuts.

They are very tasty. To me they seem "healthier" than the donut king donuts. But that said, everyone else that was around me was saying stuff like, "hmmmm, geez taste that fat".

I dunno. I like them

wil..
Old 09-16-2003, 04:04 PM

I'll give you my 'review'.... when I eventually try one, from the new Melbourne store?!
Old 09-16-2003, 06:24 PM

Guys,

I live in Raleigh NC where KK is from. They are probably the best doughnuts you will ever try as far as taste. They are probably the worst as far as nutrition.

KK knows this and does not try to hide it. A few years ago (when they went big) there were a few local News articles and KK executives acknowledged their doughnuts were the 'most fattening' on the market but they were betting on the taste.

As far as the obesity crisis I tend to agree more with the argument that it is related to sedentary life styles than to food (Which is not the same discussion as cholesterol related disease).

I don't eat fast food on a regular basis (or pizza) but working 12-14 hour days (IT) it is just too easy to 'let yourself go'. Whenever I am on the verge of having to go up a pant size I cut down my work ours, go back to the gym and just plain eat less. It works everytime (No flames please... I am not talking about yo-yo diets here... I am talking year long cycles)
Old 09-17-2003, 02:17 AM

u got it right, just move ur ass fatty and you'll be better for it.
as susan powter, the hyperactive, and highly annoying to the point of punching her in the face says, "stop the insanity".
and its true, fat is a flavour enhancer, thats why people put salead dressing and mayo on salads, because otherwise it would taste like crap....hello taste....like cardboard
Old 09-17-2003, 03:24 AM

Yeah. We got 'Dr. Phil' here preaching the same now. His motto is 'Put the twinky down!'

Quick Reply: anyone tried krispy kreme doughnuts yet?