Australia & New Zealand S2000 Owners Members from the land downunder.

anyone tried krispy kreme doughnuts yet?

Old 06-22-2004, 09:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...2482427698&rd=1

$12,000 Lamborghini Murcielago. Reserve's been met!!!

oops, we've hijacked this thread
Old 06-22-2004, 09:12 PM

I wouldn't pay that for that!

It is just a pile of worthless crap now
Old 06-22-2004, 09:20 PM

cut'N'paste copied from Todays Australian newspaper.........

'Prince of gluttony' ready for NY
From AP
23 June 2004

NOBODY, but nobody, can eat hot dogs like Japan's Takeru "The Tsunami" Kobayashi. And, once again, he's in training to devour the field at one of competitive eating's most venerable battles.

'The Prince of Gluttony' is to compete again at the annual Fourth of July hot dog wolfing contest at New York's Coney Island.

"It's like any other sport. You really have to be dedicated to win," Kobayashi, who has won the New York City contest an unprecedented three straight years, said this week from his home in Nagoya, a city in central Japan. Not to be confused with your average armchair gluttony, competitive eating is starting to look like a serious event. It has its own governing body - the New York-based International Federation of Competitive Eating - and branches in the United States, Japan, England, Thailand, Ukraine, Germany, Canada and Ireland.

Hot dogs aren't the only food on the plate, either. Along with such mainstay categories as ice cream, doughnuts and tacos, the IFOCE maintains world records for everything from deep fried asparagus (2.59kg in 10 minutes, by American Sonya Thomas who weighs just 47kg) to baseball-sized matzo balls (21 in 5 minutes, 25 seconds by Eric Booker, a New York subway conductor who weighs 207kg).

For serious hot dog eaters, technique can be pivotal. Kobayashi swears by the "Solomon approach" - he breaks his wieners and buns in half before shoving them mouthward. "It saves me half the chewing effort," he said.

Kobayashi, who weighs 70kg, says competitive eating requires a special brand of bodybuilding.

"You have to gradually build up your gut by eating larger and larger amounts of food, and then be sure to work it all off so body fat doesn't put a squeeze on the expansion of your stomach in competition," he said. "I start my regime about two months before a big competition."

As the sport grows, so do the controversies.

Kobayashi's victory at Coney Island last year was marred by allegations he used the "Roman method," a strictly banned technique involving a failure - deliberate or otherwise - to keep everything down.

Disgruntled opponents have also questioned whether he isn't using performance-enhancing drugs - muscle relaxants.

But the strength of Japan on the world piggery circuit is hard to dispute.

Japan's dominance of the Coney Island contest, held since 1916, began in 1997, when Hirofumi Nakajima won the first of his two championships. Kazutoyo Arai won in 2000, and the title has belonged to Japanese eaters ever since.

Perhaps that's because Japan holds its competitive eaters in special regard. Eating competitions have been a staple of TV game shows for at least a decade, with competitors most commonly called on to inhale noodles, rice or boiled eggs.

The best eaters, like Kobayashi, are celebrities. Hailed by his fans as "the prince of gluttony," the 25-year-old earned an estimated $US150,000 in prize money last year.

"Japan owes much of its strength in competitive eating to the fact that TV shows put up big money, and so people trained themselves to a high level," he said.

Kobayashi got his start four years ago on the weekly prime-time "TV Champion" event. Later that year, he set the Japan record for eating Chinese dumplings by downing 400 in one hour on another show. He won his first hot dog eating contest - setting the world record of 50.5 in 12 minutes - four months later.

Though currently without serious rival - the record for an American is a mere 30.5 - Kobayashi is confident he can push himself to do better at Coney Island, where he swallowed 44.5 hot dogs in 12 minutes last year.

"I think I can do it," he said. "I'm shooting for 51.5 hot dogs."

AP
Old 06-22-2004, 09:52 PM

Maybe they should do the comp with KKs doughnuts?
Old 06-22-2004, 09:57 PM

thats terrible- imagine that.. your goal in life is to be the prince of gluttony.

some people might need a new interest.

question for you.. is it partly TV's fault for "putting up the big money" and encouraging such habits?
Old 06-22-2004, 10:07 PM

Where can I purchase these infamous doughnuts in Melbourne?
Old 06-22-2004, 10:25 PM

i don't think there's a store yet... There are only 3 store's in Sydney as the current franchisee owners that haven't got a store open yet are not actually allowed to open or announce an opening yet.
Old 06-22-2004, 10:29 PM

AusS2000, can you throw in a few Krispy's with your knob in the post tomorrow?
Old 06-22-2004, 10:54 PM

He's posting his knob!!! You sure customs allow that kinda thing?
Old 06-23-2004, 12:22 AM

KK arent actually franchises yet, its owned by a group of ppl (one of which is a director of Shakespeares Pies, the other a former Mcdonalds executive, etc) the amount which they spent on the master franchise into Australia has been quoted as being $30 mill US. THey have no plans as of yet to franchise out and why would you when all the stores pump out ridiculous amounts of money so theres no need for any capital infusion from other investors.

Quick Reply: anyone tried krispy kreme doughnuts yet?