Australia & New Zealand S2000 Owners Members from the land downunder.

after market fluids'

Old 06-20-2001, 08:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default after market fluids'

Hi All,

Curious for dealer experiences when it came time to service/change fluids.

Had my baby serviced yesterday and insisted upon using my own oils - not the honda product. didn't I get some grief!

I politley proceeded to point out that the oil supplied did in fact comply with honda's oil standards found in the manual. Also added the ACCC might be interested in this type of enofrcement.

anyone else have similar issues? any friendly Vic service centres?

mike.
Old 06-20-2001, 09:41 PM

I've been using the Type R engine oil.
Is there a reason why you use a different brand?
They certainly can't force you to use it
Old 06-20-2001, 09:48 PM
Muz
Former Sponsor

Type R (for Integras) is the recommended oil. I don't see any problem with using it.
Old 06-20-2001, 10:57 PM

Pretty simple really - I refuse to buy anything from them simply because it has their badge on it. I prefer the product to prove its own independant worth.

Honda make great machinery - I think that the pertoluem companies make better fluids.

Ask any of the Service reps why the type r is so unique. No one I spoke to had a clue. If anything they tried to sell me via threat of warranty being voided. Great selling point.

mike.

ps - almost akin to the homebrand vs. name brand debate.

pps - also pissed me off that I had to pay for a bloody hire car. 75k new and it doesnt warrant a free coutesy car. Didnt happen with my ex BM.
Old 06-21-2001, 05:20 PM

Originally posted by brock
Pretty simple really - I refuse to buy anything from them simply because it has their badge on it. I prefer the product to prove its own independant worth.

Honda make great machinery - I think that the pertoluem companies make better fluids.

Ask any of the Service reps why the type r is so unique. No one I spoke to had a clue. If anything they tried to sell me via threat of warranty being voided. Great selling point.

mike.

ps - almost akin to the homebrand vs. name brand debate.
Apparently the Honda oil is made by Mobil, probably with some input from Honda as to performance specs (ie additives).

It's probably the easiest thing to use because it's hard to get 10W-30. There is a 10W-30 Mobil 1, but it's a special order item. I also noticed there's a semi synthetic Shell Helix 10W-30 in K-Mart now! That would probably be fine.

pps - also pissed me off that I had to pay for a bloody hire car. 75k new and it doesnt warrant a free coutesy car. Didnt happen with my ex BM.
But how much did you pay for a service?
Old 06-22-2001, 02:13 AM

I seriously go against using any Honda supplied engine oil for example - The Type R one. Simply because the viscousity is not low enough and definitely not good enough for our high reving engines.

Overall 10W30 is good for example Mobil One which costs about $70 at selective places, I personally use 0W30 Castrol SLX where you can buy it from Automotive stores for around $75 - $85 at 5 Litres. Other than that, I either recommend Motul racing oil or JDM FET when you can get them at performance shops.

My service period is once every 2500KMs with engine oil, transmission oil and differential oil change. Nothing comes close to not having a regular service and using the suitable temperate oil for the F20C block.
Old 06-24-2001, 05:08 PM

Originally posted by Takashi KazuMori
I seriously go against using any Honda supplied engine oil for example - The Type R one. Simply because the viscousity is not low enough and definitely not good enough for our high reving engines.
The Honda Type R oil is 10W-30. It has exactly the same viscosity at operating temperature as the Castrol oil you mentioned, but is slightly thicker at -40 degrees. Just between you and me I don't think that's important in Sydney .

If changing your transmission and diff oil every 2500km makes you feel better go ahead, but you're probably just making some oil companies very happy .
Old 06-26-2001, 08:07 PM

It was the 20k service. Cost was approx $200.

This included box/diff oil changes. Also included $25 for use of a lovley HRV for the day.

I supplied my own fluids - Neo Syhtnetic all round. You buy this from selected outlets for approx A$20 a litre.

Car has never felt so smooth. Incidentally I came from Amsoil on the change prior.

Mike.

ps - IMHO the zero weight is a little too light for everyday use. Any owners not willing to perform regular inspection under bonnet may want to avoid it. Engine will burn a little.
Old 06-26-2001, 10:22 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by brock
[B]It was the 20k service. Cost was approx $200.

This included box/diff oil changes. Also included $25 for use of a lovley HRV for the day.

I supplied my own fluids - Neo Syhtnetic all round. You buy this from selected outlets for approx A$20 a litre.
Old 06-26-2001, 11:18 PM

Hi Naishou,

Yes. I am running full synthetics in the box/diff/engine.

I have no idea why people would suggest avoiding it. It complies with all honda requirments. Maybe a cost issue. Maybe people just dont want to play in those areas. Maybe a successful job done by Honda marketing.

From personal experience I have always found improvement in changing box fluids to synthetic/improved types. Obviously has different effects in different cars.

My last car was a wrx. they are known to have terrible boxes from the factory. I changed to a full synthetic castrol syntrax @ 10k. It was like driving a new car. I kid you not.

Changes havent been as noticeable in the stook. It was great to begin with. Interestingly it has cut down drivetrain noise.

I am very happy with the overall changes. Again doing the three in one hit has made it difficult to determine which change made the biggest difference. Either way I am safe until the next change interval (motor oil - 5k, diff/box - 20k)

mike.

Quick Reply: after market fluids'