Australia & New Zealand S2000 Owners Members from the land downunder.

Advice needed - please!

Old 03-23-2004, 04:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice needed - please!

I live in England and drive a yellow 2002 S2K but I am moving to Brisbane for 12 months in September of this year. I am trying to save enough cash to keep my S2K at home for when I return. However, when I get to Australia I would like to lease a sports car - it doesn't have to be an S2K but it would be nice. I have 2 problems/questions:
1 - I can't find many companies on the web that lease sports cars in Brisbane.
2 - I am 23 years old, and I would like to know if my age will be a problem for me.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I suppose an alternative would be to import my own S2K, but I guess this would be very expensive.

Many thanks

John
Old 03-23-2004, 11:43 AM

Since you would be doing a temporary importation your costs will not be as high as you may think.

I just moved back from the US after 7 years and did some research on the matter before deciding it was too expensive to import a LHD car permanently into Australia.

If I remember correctly you will only be up for the freight (It was $3500 US for me) and the quarantine fees ($500 by the time you are through).

Check these links for more info
http://www.dfat.gov.au/protocol/Protocol_G...delines/07.html
http://www.mapsupport.com/thedatabase/impe...mprtgvehaul.htm
http://www.customs.gov.au/

Just remember to look specifically at the documents that relate to 'temporary importaion" Otherwise you will be looking at paying import duty and a whole bunch of other fees.
Old 03-23-2004, 12:58 PM

You'll need to look into insurance too, best to see if your current insurer will cover you first but I dont know the chances of that. Otherwise being a 23 year old is bad enough, a 23 year old from o/s with no credit rating in Aus might mean that you have buckleys. How did you go with insurance specifially the fact that you just came back to Aus cashout?
Old 03-23-2004, 10:39 PM

rent a sports car for 12 months?? u crazy??.. lets see.. say for example u get one for about $50 a day for a long term rental... thats like over $18k's... u better have a pretty good job here..
Old 03-23-2004, 10:42 PM

you can rent my yellow '02 for $15k for the year

Old 03-23-2004, 10:55 PM

Originally posted by s2kbee
I suppose an alternative would be to import my own S2K, but I guess this would be very expensive.
It might be a good idea to get a couple of comprehensive quotes that cover all your shipping costs. You'd then be in a better position to make a decision as to whether or not it was worth the trouble to do it.
Old 03-24-2004, 12:41 AM

Originally posted by Austblue
How did you go with insurance specifially the fact that you just came back to Aus cashout?
It was not a problem. They did not even ask me. I called NRMA, gave them my membership number (I kept renewing it while I was away) and told them I bought a new car. They asked me they usual questions (age, driving record, etc) and then gave me a policy # over the phone.

And it wasn't too expensive either: $700/y for the Jazz and $900~ for the Smart. I got the 65% (or is it 60%??) no claim bonus.

I was told AAMI is cheaper nowadays but I got lazy and could not be bothered looking for an alternative. Maybe in a few months (when I have had a chance to gauge the monthly expenses) I may look around for cheaper options. I had that in mind when I got the insurance so I went for the monthly billing option. It was only $100 or so more per year for both cars.
Old 03-24-2004, 12:46 AM

cashout, seriously look elsewhere for ur insurance, nrma has gone downhill since u left, i used to be with them, until i wised up and shopped around. it is in ur best interests to look around for better insurance, and besides, im sure u could save a lot more
Old 03-24-2004, 12:56 AM

Originally posted by blacks2k
cashout, seriously look elsewhere for ur insurance, nrma has gone downhill since u left, i used to be with them, until i wised up and shopped around. it is in ur best interests to look around for better insurance, and besides, im sure u could save a lot more

I will, I will. I just need to let the dust settle a little first. Once we move into our new place and have it all setup (end of April) I will be more inclined to look at new insurance carriers (probably around the time we have to get home contents insurance).

Right now I am more interested in finding a way to get to work early enough so that I don't have to pay $15 to park the whole day. Saving $9/day (Early bird is $6) adds up to quite a bit over a whole year!
BTW I have only been working for three days... can bearly remember the name of the street the office is at
Old 03-24-2004, 02:14 AM

Thanks for your advice.
I will look in to the costs for taking the S2K with me, I need to weigh it up against car leasing costs. I probably wouldn't go for a roadster for the full 12 months, I'd have to lease a general/normal car for the majority of the time, and just hire a roadster for a couple of weeks or something. I really hope I can afford to take mine with me as it would only be sat in a garage in England anyway.

Quick Reply: Advice needed - please!