Asia S2000 Owners English speaking owners from Asia. Including Hong Kong, China, Japan, Singapore, Malaysia, Taiwan.

Import From Japan

Old 02-23-2009, 01:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Import From Japan

Hey Everyone,

I've recently been doing some research on the following website; www.carsensor.net and was very surprised at how cheap used sports cars are in Japan. I lived in Tokyo for a year during college but never looked into car prices then cause all I could afford was nomikai :-)

However lately I've been thinking about importing a car from Japan to the US. I was just wondering if anyone over there has had any experience with this process. If so any information you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike
Old 02-24-2009, 06:03 AM

In a nutshell:

If the car is 25 years or older, it's an easy and relatively inexpensive process. Around $1,500 for shipping and $200-400 for customs and brokers fees.

If the car is newer than 25 years, and you have to ask how and how much, forget it. You don't have the connections and you can't afford it (at least not legally). Yes, it's that hard.

What car did you have in mind?
Old 02-26-2009, 04:47 AM

Here you go boss.

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/CARS/RULES/IMPORT/

Notice there are no cars that say RHD except for the R33 and well we know what happened with that. Like X4D said, if you need to ask how much you cant afford it
Old 02-26-2009, 11:26 AM

Hey Guys,

Thanks for the info. So if it's less than 25 years old its really that hard huh? I was looking at mid to late 90's STI's, EVO's, RX-7's and GTR's. It seemed to me the biggest problem was not having a contact in Japan to handle it. I've got plenty of friends over there still but none of them know anything about cars.

I would still like to look into the customs and brokers fees for cars less than 25 years old. Even if I don't try anytime soon I will be moving back to Japan in a few years and I'd like to do it then.
Old 03-08-2009, 12:05 AM

Having a contact in Japan isnt really the problem. If you know something i dont please let me know. I have been over here almost 6 years and havent found a way around all the legalities of bringing a car back. I have one I want to bring back but because i dont know any other way than the federal way i have to sell the car.
Old 03-10-2009, 01:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

bring it back as a race/show car only.. there's not much they can do about that. Once you bring it back under one of those clauses though, I don't think it can ever be switched to street legal.. even if it IS street legal.
Old 03-10-2009, 05:22 AM

Read this article from start to finish:
http://www.nicoclub.com/articles/skyline-import-1.shtml
That's the most comprehensive and accurate article I have found anywhere.

Then read these threads for more insight. Look for my posts in there:
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.ph...ic=604154&st=0

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showt...&#entry13703127

Knowing people in Japan is the least of your problems. Anyone can go online, buy a car at an auction and have it shipped to the USA from a laptop anywhere in the world without speaking to a live person once. The problem is getting the car registered over here.
Old 03-11-2009, 04:54 AM

What X4 wrote pretty much sums it up. To put the military side on the table ill add this. People usually are under the misconception that if you have a car over here that the military will ship it under your orders regardless.

https://www.smartwebmove.navsup.navy.mil/sw...OfPOVtoUSA.html

The Military will ship it only if it has the 2 labels affixed to where they orginally are. Although it would be fun to bring my Mercedes back with me it wont happen, period.

Anyone asking how to bring their super duper JDM car back to the states or for people who are wanting to buy a Japanese car and register it in the states should automatically be referenced to this thread. I do believe all the awnsers are contained within.

Either way if people decide to go the chop shop route good luck but I certainaly would not want to be nervous all the time driving around wondering if the next fender bender I get into would result the the impoundment and crushing of my car.
Old 03-11-2009, 10:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I read through most of the links posted here, and I did read in one of them that you can drive a car brought back for "show car" status a maximum of 2500 miles a year, provided you can get it insured. Personally, If I were bringing back a Skyline, it would be strictly for track use anyway. I would never want to leave an R34 parked at the mall unattended or at work or anywhere for that matter. Plus you aren't breaking any laws by using it strictly for track/show use.
Old 03-11-2009, 01:46 PM

Straight from NHTSA website. If you could possibly prove that the Skyline has some kind of historical significance then you would be ok. R34's Vspec II are going for around $45,000 right now which isnt too bad. I went to look at a couple the other day and they are really nice.

VEHICLE ELIGIBILITY

In determining whether a vehicle is eligible for importation for show or display, NHTSA will consider the following factors, among others:

Whether a vehicle of the same make, model, and model year was manufactured and certified for sale in the United States.
Whether a vehicle of the same make, model, and model year has been determined eligible for importation pursuant to 49 CFR Part 593.
Whether the vehicle is currently in production.
Whether more than 500 of the vehicles were produced.
Whether the vehicle is a kit car, replica, or special construction vehicle.

If the answer to any of the above is affirmative, you should not expect NHTSA to grant permission for importation. If the answer to item 4 is affirmative, the applicant must establish that the vehicle is of exceptional technological and/or historical significance.
Technological significance ? You must identify (be specific) the technology, engineering, and construction features of the vehicle that are advanced and of an unusual nature not commonly found in motor vehicles manufactured in the same time period; or
Historical significance ? You must identify the historical significance of the vehicle. If a person of historical significance owned the vehicle, you must submit proof that this person owned the vehicle. If the vehicle was the first or last vehicle of a particular model, you must establish this through the manufacturer?s documentation or, if this is not available, through a recognized historical source. If the vehicle was "one of a kind," you must establish this also.

Quick Reply: Import From Japan