Asia S2000 Owners English speaking owners from Asia. Including Hong Kong, China, Japan, Singapore, Malaysia, Taiwan.

First trip to Japan...any suggestions?

Old 05-12-2005, 01:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First trip to Japan...any suggestions?

I'll be heading to Japan for the first time with my gf and some of her family. They're doing a tour thing, so we'll likely be bussed around most of the time. I personally don't like tours as I feel rushed constantly, not what I feel is an ideal vacation, but she wants to do it.
Anyways, here's the itinerary, so any suggestions for other places to check out while I'm there would be much appreciated.

Day - Activity:
1. Flight to Japan
2. Arrive in Tokyo
3. Tokyo, Ginza, Imperial Palace, Meiji Shrine, Shinjuku
4. Tokyo, Mt. Fuji, Lake Ashi, Owakudani
5. Shizuoka, Gamagori
6. Aichi World Expo
7. Shizuoka, Gamagori
8. Flight home

I'd like to check out a Super Taikyu event (can't find the schedule on their website), visit a couple of shops, or other things also, but not sure if there will be time. Regardless, I'd like to know what's around those areas I'll be visiting in case I can escape for some time. Thanks.

Jai
Old 05-12-2005, 04:59 PM

Hi Jai

Looking at your list, I would say you have some nice activities planned, I actually live in Tokyo and have been here for 3 years now and have been to most places you have listed. I would say skip Shizouka and head for Hakone instead or Izu instead. also If you have time you might want to go to Kyoto on the bullit train, it takes 2 hours, but the bullit train is a lot of fun (u can drink beer on it for starters!!) and Kyoto is really good fun with lots of old fashioned buildings and museums I really do recommend this. Other then that being that your staying in Tokyo there will be a lot to do, the Meiji shrine has a lovely number of restaurants nearbye and a wonderful beer garden that actually has some Geishai girls singing later on it the evening where you can get your picture taken Here is a link to look this up http://www.meijikinenkan.gr.jp/english/ Other then I think you have some nice spots put down, If you do have time also think about going up to Nikko as well, its another 2 hours away but again is very worthwhile

Bear in mind that it will be the middle of the Japanese summer when you get here and can be fairly humid.

Hope this helps, and feel free to PM me nearer the time

Jon
Old 05-13-2005, 03:03 PM

Thanks Jon! I'll take a look at those links you provided and contact you as it gets nearer. Tho I don't like the idea of tours, I'm still very anxious to see Japan for the first time.
Old 05-15-2005, 05:26 PM

One more thing, Im not sure how you intend getting around, Im sure you can hire a car but , tolls can be quite expensive in Japan, you might want to try and look up the JR website (Japan railways) you can pick up a travel pass whilst in the US for a lot cheaper then it would be to buy individual tickets when your here, you really dont need to do tours when your here as it is easy to get around, but I certainly recommend looking into the travel pass first.

Enjoy

Jon