Ark-La-Tex S2000 Owners Covering Arkansas, Louisiana, and East Texas

Traffic ticket for illegal rear lights Dallas, TX

Old 04-30-2007, 10:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Traffic ticket for illegal rear lights Dallas, TX

Right when I was turning into my neighborhood, a cop pulled me over. I was going the speed limit and I even signaled to turn in.

So, upon approaching my window, he just bluntly asked me for my Diver's License. No explanation or anything. So of course, I asked for one.

So the reason? "Illegal" rear lights. Apparently, the lights for my turn signals shine as bright as the reverse signal. Actually, they're the same bulb.

So my question is:
Can I switch my old "illegal" bulbs for amber ones and get the ticket dismissed?

Thanks, any help would be appreciated .

P.S. I got pulled over in my 2000 Acura TL. The original taillights lens are orange on top where the turn signals are. I didn't like it so I bought the 2002-03 ones where the top half is white. Silly me, I forgot to change the bulb. But this was three years ago. Funny how the same cop that pulled me over for this, pulled me over for going 80 on a 60 at 2 in the morning when there were no cars around.

Oh, sorry if this is in the wrong section. I'm new here and I usually go on to find out more about the SK2 since I'm looking into buying a weekend car.
Old 05-01-2007, 02:09 PM

Please understand that I am not an attorney and this advice is simply my personal opinion. That said, this is what I would do:

Statistically the odds are in your favor if you take the case to court and face a judge. This is especially true if the accusing officer does not show up. I assume that you have a court date listed on your ticket. Ask for the date to be postponed. Police officers typically have reserved days for court. If you delay the initial date, the odds are that he will not show up and you are home free. Secondly, check the Texas state DOT laws and find the true nature of the offense. Third, if the taillights appear stock when not illuminated, take pictures immediately and include the time stamp. If necessary, you can present it to the judge. He/she may take one look and see nothing wrong, and then throw your case out. This is especially true if the accusing officer is not there to clarify his position.

For future reference I would probably try posting this in the S2000 Talk or Off Topic forums. You will get more exposure and should get more responses.

Good luck with your fight.
Old 05-01-2007, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by Maskdman3,May 1 2007, 05:09 PM
Please understand that I am not an attorney and this advice is simply my personal opinion. That said, this is what I would do:

Statistically the odds are in your favor if you take the case to court and face a judge. This is especially true if the accusing officer does not show up. I assume that you have a court date listed on your ticket. Ask for the date to be postponed. Police officers typically have reserved days for court. If you delay the initial date, the odds are that he will not show up and you are home free. Secondly, check the Texas state DOT laws and find the true nature of the offense. Third, if the taillights appear stock when not illuminated, take pictures immediately and include the time stamp. If necessary, you can present it to the judge. He/she may take one look and see nothing wrong, and then throw your case out. This is especially true if the accusing officer is not there to clarify his position.

For future reference I would probably try posting this in the S2000 Talk or Off Topic forums. You will get more exposure and should get more responses.

What he said!
Old 05-01-2007, 07:36 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know what your talking about... The 02-03 TL tails have the white stripe atop.
Check out AcuraZine.com (meets and greets forum, there is a Dallas area thread, don't be intimidated by the size, there are a lot of people who post there)
http://www.acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=340917

and also AcuraClubDFW.com

Lots of good people in both.
Old 05-01-2007, 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by Maskdman3,May 1 2007, 04:09 PM

very nicely put

sounds like you have experience in this lol
Old 05-02-2007, 01:29 PM

I've done quite a bit of reading and looking into fighting speeding tickets. I only get speeding tickets when I honestly do not deserve them. I usually just chalk it up to payback for the countless times that I do deserve it.

You can follow all of the above advice for fighting speeding tickets. You can actually file a petition for information and records and obtain reports that list when the last time the radar gun used on you was calibrated, the officers record, etc.

Most of the time if you go to court the accusing officer does not show up. If you postpone the court date it is almost a given.

There are a lot of ways to fight traffic violations if you want to bother with it.
Old 05-02-2007, 05:41 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Maskdman3,May 1 2007, 04:09 PM

nicely put